New Wave locations

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
SheriffAmbrose

#1 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:37 pm

I am plannig to go to Paris for a school art class. I am not an art major but I would like to get credit for the trip so I came up with a project that I can work on while there that incorporates my interest in the New Wave. I am going to attempt to find some locations where Truffaut and Godard shot some of their key early films. I will limit this to Breathless, 400 Blows, Antoine and Colette, Band of Outsiders, A Woman is a Woman, Stolen Kisses, and Alphaville as these are the ones I own on DVD. Does anyone know where any of these films were shot? Has there been anything published that reveals where the locations are? Are there any websites that would be helpful? Any information would be great. Thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:24 am

I don't want to be a jerk, but Claude Chabrol, Jacques Rivette, Eric Rohmer, and Luc Moullet are seriously going to get their feelings hurt reading this thread and realizing that there are still people who think the entire French New Wave was two directors wide.

Brian Oblivious

#3 Post by Brian Oblivious » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 am

This book has a section on Paris, but I only briefly flipped through in a bookstore and didn't linger on those pages. The book didn't really impress me on a first glance, actually. I don't know why I'm even bringing it up.

Numéro 2

#4 Post by Numéro 2 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:52 am

If you're going to Paris you might just as well pick up this book. Has quite an extensive coverage of Paris if my memory serves me. I just flipped through it the last time I was there.

Kinsayder

#5 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:59 pm

SheriffAmbrose wrote:Does anyone know where any of these films were shot? Has there been anything published that reveals where the locations are? Are there any websites that would be helpful?
If you look up the film in IMDb and click on Filming Locations in the left column, it will often give you some information. E.g., it gives "Scribe Hotel, 1 rue Scribe, Paris 9" as the location of Lemmy Caution's hotel in Alphaville.

For films shot in Paris, there are a couple of publications that may be able to give you more detailed information: PARIS VU AU CINEMA and CINE-PARIS.

SheriffAmbrose

#6 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:I don't want to be a jerk, but Claude Chabrol, Jacques Rivette, Eric Rohmer, and Luc Moullet are seriously going to get their feelings hurt reading this thread and realizing that there are still people who think the entire French New Wave was two directors wide.
I never said that. I am just trying to keep things simple. I am sure their feelings are just fine.

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:11 pm

SheriffAmbrose wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I don't want to be a jerk, but Claude Chabrol, Jacques Rivette, Eric Rohmer, and Luc Moullet are seriously going to get their feelings hurt reading this thread and realizing that there are still people who think the entire French New Wave was two directors wide.
I never said that. I am just trying to keep things simple. I am sure their feelings are just fine.
I agree with domino, and I also think you're doing your project a disservice by neglecting certain films not by the Big Two. Paris nous appartient seems a strong target for this kind of approach, and Cleo from 5 to 7, with its temporal and physical integrity, the ideal New Wave film to guide a Paris location tour.

SheriffAmbrose

#8 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:28 pm

I also think you're doing your project a disservice
Can you be a little more dramatic. Thanks that was a huge help. So in other words you have nothing to add but had to drop your two sense in. This isn't a huge deal; it is something I am throwing together to get class credit for a vacation in Paris. I am not trying to please even myself with the results let alone any serious film fan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:27 pm

zedz wrote:I agree with domino, and I also think you're doing your project a disservice by neglecting certain films not by the Big Two. Paris nous appartient seems a strong target for this kind of approach, and Cleo from 5 to 7, with its temporal and physical integrity, the ideal New Wave film to guide a Paris location tour.
technically Agnes Varda would be Left Bank Cinema and not French New Wave

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 pm

SheriffAmbrose wrote:
Can you be a little more dramatic. Thanks that was a huge help. So in other words you have nothing to add but had to drop your two sense in. This isn't a huge deal; it is something I am throwing together to get class credit for a vacation in Paris. I am not trying to please even myself with the results let alone any serious film fan.
He also dropped his two cents in as well, college student. Best of luck to you in your academic pursuit of movies you've already seen.

Barmy

#11 Post by Barmy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Don't post here if you want to avoid a major snob attack. Some of the responses in this thread are sad, grim and pathetic.

Good luck Sheriff!

zedz

#12 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

SheriffAmbrose wrote:
Oh, why bother? Go back and reread my post without the attitude and you'll find two clear suggestions. Rather than going onto an internet forum and asking for detailed annotations (of uncertain reliability) of half a dozen films, you could go and take a look at Cleo with a map of Paris beside you and plan your entire visit, and sort out your class project, in an hour and a half.

Or you could visit the Louvre and tick the Band of Outsiders box, but that doesn't sound particularly interesting to me.

SheriffAmbrose

#13 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
SheriffAmbrose wrote:
He also dropped his two cents in as well, college student. Best of luck to you in your academic pursuit of movies you've already seen.
okay you got me there.

Mr Sausage

#14 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 pm

Jesus Christ, can we stop harassing the poor guy and pretend for once that we're decent people and help him out? If not, I'm going to start deleting posts.

If this is how he wants to run his project, let him.

portnoy

#15 Post by portnoy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:38 am

guys, i just got off the phone with rohmer - he's in tears.

btw, unforunately since i've never been to paris i can't help, but IMDb is helpful with Breathless, giving some addresses:
11 rue Campagne Première, Paris 14, Paris, France

116 bis - Cinema Normandie, Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Paris 8, Paris, France

21 rue de Berri, Paris 8, Paris, France

Cinema MacMahon, 5 avenue MacMahon, Paris 8, Paris, France

La Rotonde - 105 Boulevard du Montparnasse, Paris 6, Paris, France

Le Cosmos - 101 Boulevard du Montparnasse, Paris 6, Paris, France

Le Select - 99 Boulevard du Montparnasse, Paris 6, Paris, France
As I said, I dunno what these are - I figure one of the two cinemas has to be the place with Belmondo's legendary shot-reverse shot with Bogie.

SheriffAmbrose

#16 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Okay thanks. I was also wondering-and please no jumping down anyone's throats-where the old cinematheque is? Thanks to anyone who helped.

Arn777

#17 Post by Arn777 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:10 pm

At the time of the New Wave, la cinémathèque was rue d'Ulm in the 5th.

SheriffAmbrose

#18 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Arn777 wrote:At the time of the New Wave, la cinémathèque was rue d'Ulm in the 5th.
Thanks...I assume that that is where Bertolucci filmed that bit in The Dreamers and where the opening of Stolen Kisses was shot...I hope so anyway.

filmyfan

#19 Post by filmyfan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:06 am

Just thought I would say there is a longish scene in PARIS NOUS APPARTIENT filmed outside the famous Bateau Lavoir (of Picasso and Cubism fame) on Place Emile Goudeau on the way up to Monmartre. It's a lovely spot and there is even a hotel there (I stayed there a few years back-and hope too again soon).

I for one always wanted to know where Jean Seberg conducts her interview in Breathless-where they sit by a big window and have a lovely view of the street.

Anna Karina works in Record Shop off the Champs Elysee in Avenue Wagram I think-I guess its not there any more though. Hope this is helpful.