Santo films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Fletch F. Fletch

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 pm

I've been perusing the entry on Wikipedia and checked out a few sites pertaining to the genre but I was wondering if anybody who's into these films could recommend a good film to start with? There seems to be so many and the Wikipedia entry does offer a few good suggestions but I thought I'd double check with people here, first.

Here's an amusing highlight reel scored to Southern Culture on the Skids!

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 pm

I've been curious about them as well and the interested increased after watching the glorious Nacho Libre. So far I haven't been able to check them out but I think that a good start might be this set that collects what seems to be the cream of the crop. But I admit that by looking at those sites you mentioned, the whole task of picking out the best ones seems pretty daunting as they are so many!

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Lino wrote:I've been curious about them as well and the interested increased after watching the glorious Nacho Libre. So far I haven't been able to check them out but I think that a good start might be this set that collects what seems to be the cream of the crop. But I admit that by looking at those sites you mentioned, the whole task of picking out the best ones seems pretty daunting as they are so many!
Thanks for the link! According to the Wikipedia entry, Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro (Santo vs. the Vampire Women) seems to be a winner with The Mummies of Guanajuato quoted as being what "many Mexi-movie fans consider it to be the greatest Mexican wrestling film ever made." These two sound good to me. But maybe that box set is the way to go.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Thanks for the link!
You're quite welcome and if indeed you are planning to delve into this weird and wonderful world, please report back with your results. It might even tempt me to dip my own toe into this South of the border water!

foggy eyes

#5 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:54 pm

I've seen Santo Vs. the Martian Invasion, and it was tripe of the highest order. The wrestling sequences are monotous, moronic and strangely violent. Exactly the twaddle I expected.