How to Pronounce Your Favorite Director's Name

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mattkc

#126 Post by mattkc » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:40 am

I'm sure this one is pretty simple, but I'd like to be sure: how do you pronounce Maurice Pialat's last name?

foggy eyes

#127 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 am

Pi-ah-la (no 't'). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

MichaelB

#128 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:31 am

That sounds right to me.

Stagger Lee

#129 Post by Stagger Lee » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:45 am

justeleblanc wrote:=Breillat.... Bray-LAH?
Bray-AHT, according to the IFC Indie Sex episode 2, which Breillat is actually interviewed in. (And yes, I remembered having seen someone ask and came looking for it after I watched the doc.)

MichaelB

#130 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:20 am

I'm not sure about sounding the 'T' at the end (so I'd say "Brey-AH"), but you definitely don't sound the 'LL'.

But I'm not French, and therefore unreliable.

mmacklem

#131 Post by mmacklem » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:Hou Hsiao Hsien would be written in Pinyin as Hou Xiao Xian
(I think, but actually don't know what his family name is, probably Hu in Mandarin), and pronounced:
Ho
Sheow (kind of like meow, but quickly with the "e" sound fairly short. "shout" without the "t;' would be reasonably close)
She-en (like "she" + the pronunciation of the letter "n". For this one, there definaitely needs to be two distinct vowel sounds together).

Ho Sheow She-en
I asked this exact question to a friend from Taiwan several years ago, and their description had more of a 't-sh' sound at the beginning of both 'Sheow' and 'She-en', so that it sounded like 'Who Tsheow Tshe-en'.

I haven't seen this one covered yet, how do you pronounce Andrei Zvyagintsev? Is it how it reads?

MichaelB

#132 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:18 am

mmacklem wrote:I haven't seen this one covered yet, how do you pronounce Andrei Zvyagintsev? Is it how it reads?
Pretty much, yes! Zvee-ah-gint-sev is how I'd render it (with the caveat that I have only the most casual grounding in Russian pronunciation)

Jean-Luc Garbo

#133 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 am

Parajanov anyone?

MichaelB

#134 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:42 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Parajanov anyone?
The alternative spelling 'Paradzhanov' gives a pretty good idea - stress on the "zhan".

iangj

#135 Post by iangj » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote: Hou Hsiao Hsien would be written in Pinyin as Hou Xiao Xian
(I think, but actually don't know what his family name is, probably Hu in Mandarin).
Hou is Mandarin - Hu is a different family name.

portnoy

#136 Post by portnoy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:
mmacklem wrote:how do you pronounce Andrei Zvyagintsev? Is it how it reads?
Pretty much, yes! Zvee-ah-gint-sev is how I'd render it (with the caveat that I have only the most casual grounding in Russian pronunciation)
Close, but his last name is only three syllables. Zvya-gin-tsev. The 'ya' in his last name signifies the Russian soft vowel 'ya' and not two separate syllables. Generally, I'd place the emphasis on the first syllable - ZVYA-gin-tsev, but I actually could be wrong about that...

MichaelB

#137 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 pm

portnoy wrote:Close, but his last name is only three syllables. Zvya-gin-tsev. The 'ya' in his last name signifies the Russian soft vowel 'ya' and not two separate syllables. Generally, I'd place the emphasis on the first syllable - ZVYA-gin-tsev, but I actually could be wrong about that...
You're absolutely right - I should have checked the Cyrillic version first!

(Russian, like most Slavic languages, is relatively easy to pronounce once you've mastered the rules - certainly a lot easier than English or French!)

Kirkinson

#138 Post by Kirkinson » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:26 am

How about Ousmane Sembène and Souleymane Cissé? I presume the common spellings are French transliterations, which makes me want to say (roughly) oos-MAHN sem-BAYN and SOO-lay-mahn see-SAY. Am I remotely close?

MichaelB

#139 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:48 am

Kirkinson wrote:How about Ousmane Sembène and Souleymane Cissé? I presume the common spellings are French transliterations, which makes me want to say (roughly) oos-MAHN sem-BAYN and SOO-lay-mahn see-SAY. Am I remotely close?
This is total (albeit educated) guesswork, but I'd say oos-MAHN sem-BEHN and SOO-lay-mahn si-SAY.

kekid

#140 Post by kekid » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 pm

How do we pronounce the complete title of Akerman's Jeanne Dielman?

Saturnome

#141 Post by Saturnome » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm a french canadian but I'm not too great at writing english pronunciation. I should go get that microphone in my basement and pronounce it :lol: Anyway I think it's something like Jeanne Dielman, vein-troah kay du kommerss, mille-katre-vey Brukselle.
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles.

May I ask for Zbigniew Rybczynski ? I think it just appears more complicated than it is, but the "bczyn" part confuses me. the W appears tricky too.

miless

#142 Post by miless » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:05 am

Saturnome wrote:May I ask for Zbigniew Rybczynski ? I think it just appears more complicated than it is, but the "bczyn" part confuses me. the W appears tricky too.
i believe it is Zbig(think spigot)-New Rib-Chin-Ski

denti alligator

#143 Post by denti alligator » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Kirkinson wrote:How about Ousmane Sembène and Souleymane Cissé? I presume the common spellings are French transliterations, which makes me want to say (roughly) oos-MAHN sem-BAYN and SOO-lay-mahn see-SAY. Am I remotely close?
This is total (albeit educated) guesswork, but I'd say oos-MAHN sem-BEHN and SOO-lay-mahn si-SAY.
I've Sembene pronounced with an extra syllable at the end: sem-BEHN-eh. Though that seems counter-intuitive in French, he's not French.

kinjitsu

#144 Post by kinjitsu » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:07 pm

Then try it in Italian. It works fine. And I would imagine that the u in his first name is not ignored.

Matt

#145 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 am

Okay guys: Siodmak. As in Curt and Robert. Robert Osborne on TCM pronounces it see-ODD-mack, but we all know his difficulty with names.

EDIT: Well, maybe that's right, at least according to this guy on Senses of Cinema:
Chris Justice wrote:Many have never heard of him, and when they have, they rarely can even pronounce his name (see-odd-mak – emphasis on the “odd”).

Kinsayder

#146 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:27 pm

See odd muck, surely? The short "a" in German is close to an English "u".

Tommaso

#147 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Okay, as for whatever reason I can't reach that screenlex site:

Borzage - "Bor-setch" or "Bor-sa-ghee"?

mattkc

#148 Post by mattkc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Tommaso wrote:Borzage - "Bor-setch" or "Bor-sa-ghee"?
It's the second.

tryavna

#149 Post by tryavna » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:02 pm

mattkc wrote:
Tommaso wrote:Borzage - "Bor-setch" or "Bor-sa-ghee"?
It's the second.
With the emphasis on the second syllable, right? I.e., "bor-SA-ghee"

And I'm pretty sure that Osborne gets Siodmak right. I've heard other people pronounce it "see-ODD-mack" too.

foggy eyes

#150 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Matt wrote:Okay guys: Siodmak. As in Curt and Robert. Robert Osborne on TCM pronounces it see-ODD-mack, but we all know his difficulty with names.
That's probably right, as I remember reading somewhere that Siodmak would routinely wear a blazer on set with the phonetic spelling 'SEE-ODD-MACK' printed across the back. The anecdote is also recalled on p.10 of the extract that can downloaded here.