LaSalle Bank Cinema in Chicago

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
toiletduck!

#1 Post by toiletduck! » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:49 pm

Apologies to all non-Chicagoans whose time I am now wasting (for chrissakes, why are you still reading?), but I finally made it to the LaSalle Bank Cinema I've been reading about, and this hidden treasure needs to be shared.

Every Saturday at 8 pm, and for only $5, you can check out the best that classic Hollywood had to offer in (at least from the Only Angels Have Wings that I saw) very good 16 or 35mm prints. Most of the stuff they put up is the sort of thing that you really aren't going to see screened anywhere, much less a new one each week all year round. For example, this is what they've got coming through June:

January 6: Underworld U.S.A. (Fuller, 1961)
January 13: Craig's Wife (Arzner, 1936)
January 20: My Favorite Wife (Kanin, 1940)
January 27: Leave Her To Heaven (Stahl, 1945)
February 3: The Ox-Bow Incident (Wellman, 1944)
February 10: The Palm Beach Story (Sturges, 1942)
February 17: Man's Castle (Borzage, 1933)
February 24: The True Story Of Jesse James (Ray, 1957)
March 3: Violent Saturday (Fleischer, 1955)
March 10: 42nd Street (Bacon, 1933)
March 17: They Made Me A Criminal (Berkeley, 1939)
March 24: The Great Garrick (Whale, 1937)
March 31: Five Star Final (LeRoy, 1931)
April 7: Hell And High Water (Fuller, 1954)
April 14: Girl Crazy (Taurog, 1943)
April 21: The Crowd Roars (Hawks, 1932)
April 28: The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles, 1942)
May 5: Fixed Bayonets! (Fuller, 1951)
May 12: Born To Dance (Del Ruth, 1936)
May 19 (double feature): American Madness (Capra, 1932)
The Criminal Code (Hawks, 1931)
May 26: China Seas (Garnett, 1935)
June 2: The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (Huston, 1948)
June 9: My Man Godfrey (La Cava, 1936)
June 16 (double feature): Downstairs (Bell, 1932)
Employee's Entrance (Del Ruth, 1933)
June 23: I Was A Male War Bride (Hawks, 1949)
June 30: Red River (Hawks, 1948)

All shows start at 8 pm.

Plus, every week opens with a short, from serials to Looney Tunes to Three Stooges, etc. (Angels opened with a Hindenburg newsreel -- cheeky bastards.)

The cinema is up in Portage Park (Irving Park & Cicero), so it could be a lengthly haul for some of you. And due to the selection and location, the (surprisingly large) crowd is typically elderly, so there's a tad more audience noise to deal with, although I doubt you'll ever hear a cell phone go off. Plus, where else are you going to see The Great Garrick plus popcorn and a soda for $6.75?

Sorry about the lengthy post, but they have no website that I am aware of and seem to be the type of place that you either stumble across or have to be actively searching out. Hope I'm helping someone or other with the former.

Mods, feel free to place this wherever it belongs...

-Toilet Dcuk
Last edited by toiletduck! on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Via_Chicago

#2 Post by Via_Chicago » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:50 pm

A friend of mine turned me onto this place but I've yet to actually go. If they had any schedule to speak of, I'd be all over the place, but it's hard for me to find what they're showing (although the Reader does list their shows about a week in advance). However, if they'll be showing all this Fuller (where the hell did they get the prints? I had a devil of a time finding distribution for Fuller when I was programming a series this fall), I'll be there.

toiletduck!

#3 Post by toiletduck! » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:10 pm

I realized it was a little silly for me not to put dates in, seeing as how I have the schedule right in front of me. I've added them to the original post and will PM you with the slight amount of information I do have (and will do the same for anyone else who PMs me expressing interest).

-Toilet Dcuk