Foreign Film Distribution

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I just watched a terrific, beautifully filmed French comedy called “Tangoâ€

Subbuteo

#2 Post by Subbuteo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Dylan
Have you watched Leconte's 'Monsieur Hire' ? I reckon you will be floored by it...it is a beautifully paced work of art. Granted it has a somewhat sombre subject matter but the film is in a strange way quite life affirming!
I share you're love of Tango.

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:26 am

I have only seen "Girl on the Bridge" and "Tango," both of which are really terrific, particularly the former. I plan to eventually see everything Leconte has done, but aside from the Region 1 DVDs that are available ("Ridicule," "Intimate Strangers," "The Window of Saint-Pierre," and "Man on the Train") it's going to be very difficult to see everything else without spending a lot of money, so I'll likely have to wait a few years for opportunities to arise to see everything.

"Monsieur Hire" and "The Hairdresser's Husband," and all of the ones with female protagonists (ala "Girl on the Bridge") are the ones I'm most excited about, but everything sounds very cool.

"Hairdresser's Husband" will be a difficult one to see, as I won't settle for the terrible-looking Second Sight DVD. Has anybody seen the comparison between the Second Sight and the oop French disc?

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56532

(scroll down...the images are protected and I can't post them here, but the difference between them is a joke).

Anyway...

Does anybody have any further thoughts on foreign film distribution, and what constitutes certain films getting a release? Anything almost wholly unknown ala "Suburbs" (or anything Italian, for my sake) that you'd like to see out there that perhaps a lot of us haven't heard of, and any theories on why certain titles are so obscure when it doesn't necessarily 'feel' they should be?