Assorted Discussions of Films That Never Happened

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Len

#51 Post by Len » Fri May 04, 2007 6:40 am

This is great news. The whole Tom Cruise WW2-fighter pilot film sounded like a disaster, but this one sounds like a potential masterpiece. Mann's often flirted with noir in most of his crime films, so it'll be interesting to see how he'll approach the conventions of the genre in a "true" noir film. Nice to see that the poor performance of Black Dahlia and The Good German haven't scared him from what one could easily imagine becoming one of his best films in quite a while (and this coming from a fan of both MV and Collateral).

The Invunche

#52 Post by The Invunche » Fri May 04, 2007 12:53 pm

Thank god Audioslave broke up.

Antoine Doinel

#53 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Yeah, but there are still plenty of shitty nu-metal bands for Mann to use (ie. Linkin Park).

Narshty

#54 Post by Narshty » Wed May 16, 2007 10:26 am

Please no.

The gist of it is: Paul W.S. Anderson is writing and directing a remake of The Long Good Friday set in Miami, Larry Clark is remaking Mona Lisa but relocating it to New York and calling it Shame, and there'll be a new big-budget remake of Time Bandits to boot. I'm going to lie down.

planetjake

#55 Post by planetjake » Wed May 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Hey, maybe Gilliam got some money for this Time Bandits deal. . . . Maybe. I dunno how it works, but if the ends justify the means, I'm happy.

justeleblanc

#56 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Watch Vorbinski direct Time Bandits. Or better yet... Rattner.

teddyleevin

#57 Post by teddyleevin » Thu May 17, 2007 6:20 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Watch Vorbinski direct Time Bandits. Or better yet... Rattner.
*shudders*

Seriously, if either of those two direct it...I will cry.
And, also...DO NOT LET TIM BURTON DIRECT IT.

I mean, Burton has a few good movies (namely Ed Wood), but he's the kind of guy that can make Time Bandits be the next Nightmare Before Christmas or something. Eek. I can see the t-shirts already.

Is there a petition I can sign?
Last edited by teddyleevin on Sat May 19, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dx23

#58 Post by dx23 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I still don't get how WS (as in worthless shit) Anderson still has a job and lands a hottie as a girlfriend. I got a migraine as soon as I saw the Long Good Friday remake news. I too, need to go and lay down.

miless

#59 Post by miless » Fri May 18, 2007 12:06 am

dx23 wrote:I still don't get how WS (as in worthless shit) Anderson still has a job and lands a hottie as a girlfriend. I got a migraine as soon as I saw the Long Good Friday remake news. I too, need to go and lay down.
he knocked her up... that's why she stays.

Mr Pixies

#60 Post by Mr Pixies » Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Mona Lisa being remade by Clark is good news, he's going to do something good with that. I just don't know why that movie got picked for a remake, Time Bandits too. But to just speculate on Clark's version, maybe a middle aged male cab driver tries to save a female teen hooker, and she drags him into her world of teen hookers.

patrick

#61 Post by patrick » Fri May 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Mona Lisa remade by Larry Clark is such a weird idea that it might actually work. Anyone want to bet me that Cathy Tyson's role will be played by a 16-year old (or at least an actor playing 16)?

(Oops, I should have read Mr Pixies' post more carefully, he called it way before I did)

che-etienne

#62 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 am

Over at Anne Thompson's blog - http://www.variety.com/blog/1400000340.html - there's some news about the script, which was passed by all the major studios, save New Line. The price tag is 120 million, but it seems New Line won't go with it until it drops many mil. Mann fans better cross their fingers. The article Thompson cites has a description of some scenes from the script. They sound awesome already.

flyonthewall2983

#63 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:05 am

This makes me think how strange (or not) it is Mann never directed a film for the same studio twice (with the possible exception of Collateral, which was a co-production of DreamWorks and Paramount, the latter of which put out The Keep).

che-etienne

#64 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:21 am

I hear Mann's films have never made a great deal of money, and considering that "Miami Vice" is now notorious for the indulgences and mishaps of the production as well as a monster flop (albeit probably due to the studio's horrid ad campaign), Mann may have some trouble from here on out. He needs to make something that will make money, if not in theaters than on DVD. A vehicle for Leo would sound good, but stars definitely don't seem to have the appeal they used to have. Leo didn't get people out in droves to see "Blood Diamond", and the success of "The Departed" can't be attributed to him alone.

DrewReiber

#65 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:31 am

MGM has just announced Eli Roth's post-"Grindhouse" project for August 22, 2008. Clearly this is an attempt to follow the successful late August release of the Weinstein Co.'s Halloween remake, which is an odd gamble considering the nature of Roth's premise. For those of you out of the loop, think every bit of the Grindhouse package sans the features. Here's some details:

Eli Roth Is ‘Trailer Trash' For Next Movie

[quote]A humorous horror flick? That is what's on the plate of “Hostelâ€

Antoine Doinel

#66 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:48 am

"Splat pack"? Puh-leeze.

DrewReiber

#67 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:16 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:"Splat pack"? Puh-leeze.
I know. Part of me wanted to apologize for quoting that, but what can I do. These so-called journalists love trying to coin this crap.

Awesome Welles

Lunar Park (David Slade, 2009)

#68 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:32 am

The latest adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis's last novel (which was optioned in late 2005) is supposedly in pre-production. No one has been cast though Ellis has mentioned Benicio Del Toro as a contender though who knows how true this is. No director in tow either. The script has been adapted by Lane Shadgett (who has no previous credits).

I don't know if there are any Ellis fans here but does anyone have any other info or opinions on casting/director? Del Toro doesn't seem like a good choice in my opinion. I don't know why.

kaujot

#69 Post by kaujot » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:38 pm

I like Ellis, but I didn't really care for Lunar Park.

Oedipax

#70 Post by Oedipax » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:42 pm

I thought Lunar Park was fantastic, but I don't know how you can make a movie out of it. It veers from autobiographical self-parody to Stephen King horror and then into genuinely heart-rending loss by the end. Will be interesting to see who they get to play Patrick Bateman in this one - I'm assuming there's no chance in hell they could get Bale to come back...

kaujot

#71 Post by kaujot » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:26 am

I doubt if he wouldn't play a scene in The Rules of Attraction that he would appear in this. Though, the part would be substantially larger, I don't think there's much (if any) dialogue from Bateman himself.

Though I could easily be mistaken. It's been ages since I read the book.

Awesome Welles

#72 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:45 am

I think it would be a difficult one to cast, as Bateman is also Clayton (amongst others at times). I think casting Bale would be a mistake - not that he'd do it anyway. It would be quite interesting (as would it to see Willem Dafoe play Donald Kimball, but I can't see any of these casting choices working, unless you had multiple actors playing the same roles (in a kind of Palindromes way).

Antoine Doinel

#73 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:53 pm

If only

El Manchego

#75 Post by El Manchego » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:01 pm

It will be interesting to see if Maysles can please both the film community and the Fall Out Boy fan community at the same time. From my experience and my understanding of the guys in this band, it will be difficult to pull off; although I look forward to seeing what he creates despite my huge distaste for this band.