59th Cannes Film Festival

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Barmy

#176 Post by Barmy » Sun May 28, 2006 11:42 pm

I'm glad Loach won this as no one outside of the UK will want to see his silly widdle film. (And even within the UK the audience will be teeny tiny.)

The further Cannes slides towards irrelevance just supports the "Hollywood agenda". Remember when they let themselves be bullied into awarding that subpar Angelopoulos (a filmmaker I revere)?

Yes, I know the jury itself was largely free of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but it's hardly surprising that the craven jury members succumbed to the prevailing atmosphere.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#177 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun May 28, 2006 11:46 pm

This is the best Cannes thread we've had yet.

Incidentally, most of Loach's audience is on the continent, not in the UK.

Noir of the Night

#178 Post by Noir of the Night » Sun May 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Barmy wrote:I'm glad Loach won this as no one outside of the UK will want to see his silly widdle film. (And even within the UK the audience will be teeny tiny.)

The further Cannes slides towards irrelevance just supports the "Hollywood agenda". Remember when they let themselves be bullied into awarding that subpar Angelopoulos (a filmmaker I revere)?

Yes, I know the jury itself was largely free of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but it's hardly surprising that the craven jury members succumbed to the prevailing atmosphere.
What are you, ugetsu?

HerrSchreck

#179 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 am

Ugetsu and Barmy (and unidentified friend) explaining their posting styles in the first annual Posters Ball. [img]
(Note: this sucker is a limited edition post, coming down in 12 HRS)

EDIT: SEE ALL THE ACTION @ http://www.pukeplanet.com/images/barf.jpg
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Mon May 29, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

HerrSchreck

#180 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon May 29, 2006 12:42 am

The one and only PUKEPLANET!

http://www.pukeplanet.com/images/barf.jpg

tavernier

#181 Post by tavernier » Mon May 29, 2006 12:48 am

Barmy wrote:I'm glad Loach won this as no one outside of the UK will want to see his silly widdle film. (And even within the UK the audience will be teeny tiny.)

And you'll be able to see it at the NY Film Fest!!!! Or maybe you can skip it, just like those lousy Janus films they have the stupidity to bring back.

Anonymous

#182 Post by Anonymous » Mon May 29, 2006 5:57 am

OK - involvement with the HKFF, ie. someone who doesn't want the 'magic aura' of the festival jury tarnished. So I called that one right then...

cafeman

#183 Post by cafeman » Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 am

Worst directors in the competition won first and second prize. I thought Dumont would go all the way, but still, Loach is only marginally better than him.

At this point, I would need to go to IMDb and look up the last Palme D`Or winner I enjoyed, because the memory goes only so far back.

Of course, I haven`t seen these two films, but Dumont and Loach just keep making the same movie over and over anyway.

tavernier

#184 Post by tavernier » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 am

cafeman wrote:Worst directors in the competition won first and second prize. I thought Dumont would go all the way, but still, Loach is only marginally better than him.

At this point, I would need to go to IMDb and look up the last Palme D`Or winner I enjoyed, because the memory goes only so far back.

Of course, I haven`t seen these two films, but Dumont and Loach just keep making the same movie over and over anyway.
Who doesn't? Almodovar and Inarritu are textbook examples of directors repeating themselves.

cafeman

#185 Post by cafeman » Mon May 29, 2006 11:42 am

tavernier wrote:
cafeman wrote:Worst directors in the competition won first and second prize. I thought Dumont would go all the way, but still, Loach is only marginally better than him.

Who doesn't? Almodovar and Inarritu are textbook examples of directors repeating themselves.
I hate most of Almodovar`s opus, and Innaritu is still far from a great director, though Amores Perros showed a lot of promise, which wasn`t really fulfilled in 21 Grams.

But, for example, Kaurismaki does the same, and yet is fascinating almost 100% of the time.

Some directors learn to do variations, and keep things fresh and interesting, or develop the same theme further in each subsequent movie. Loach and Dumont are boring directors. Not to mention that the level of their film expression is almost nonexistent (well, ok, this only goes for Loach).

tavernier

#186 Post by tavernier » Mon May 29, 2006 11:44 am

cafeman wrote:
tavernier wrote:

I hate most of Almodovar`s opus, and Innaritu is still far from a great director, though Amores Perros showed a lot of promise, which wasn`t really fulfilled in 21 Grams.

But, for example, Kaurismaki does the same, and yet is fascinating almost 100% of the time.

Some directors learn to do variations, and keep things fresh and interesting, or develop the same theme further in each subsequent movie. Loach and Dumont are boring directors. Not to mention that the level of their film expression is almost nonexistent (well, ok, this only goes for Loach).
I'd much rather see anything by Dumont or Loach than Kaurismaki. Talk about boring!

Grimfarrow

#187 Post by Grimfarrow » Mon May 29, 2006 12:10 pm

ugetsu wrote:OK - involvement with the HKFF, ie. someone who doesn't want the 'magic aura' of the festival jury tarnished. So I called that one right then...
Huh?! That makes no sense...what does my work with the Hong Kong Film Festival have to do with "magic aura" of juries? Plus, I mainly deal with Asian films and filmmakers, as well as gay ones (I also programmed the HKLGFF). Your diatribe on Sam Jackson, Ken Loach and Dumont have precious little to do with the films I'm involved with (unless they're secretly Asian or gay).

Grimfarrow

#188 Post by Grimfarrow » Mon May 29, 2006 12:21 pm

marty wrote:I have recently suspected that Grimfarrow is someone who works in the industry and has a personal agenda to vent his spleen in defense of his personal (and business?) interests.
Marty, you've found me out. Indeed I have a malevolent personal agenda...its name is TASTE. And yes, I'm biased because I know Chris Doyle and I like John Cameron Mitchell's works. Oh how demonic! To prove my evil plans to convert this forum to the dark side, my favourite films of last year wil surely brainwash you all: L'intrus, The Sun, Un couple parfait, Ten Skies, 13 Lakes.

Beware... Beware...

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#189 Post by Lemdog » Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Grimfarrow wrote:
marty wrote:I have recently suspected that Grimfarrow is someone who works in the industry and has a personal agenda to vent his spleen in defense of his personal (and business?) interests.
Marty, you've found me out. Indeed I have a malevolent personal agenda...its name is TASTE. And yes, I'm biased because I know Chris Doyle and I like John Cameron Mitchell's works. Oh how demonic! To prove my evil plans to convert this forum to the dark side, my favourite films of last year wil surely brainwash you all: L'intrus, The Sun, Un couple parfait, Ten Skies, 13 Lakes.

Beware... Beware...
This is the reason I vote Grimfarrow for member of the year, every year.

Grimfarrow

#190 Post by Grimfarrow » Mon May 29, 2006 12:44 pm

Lemdog wrote: This is the reason I vote Grimfarrow for member of the year, every year.
I didn't know anyone voted for me! Thanks very much for the encouragement Lemdog... :)

Sigh...ugetsu reminds me of the good old days of Dogbreath, for some reason.

franco

#191 Post by franco » Mon May 29, 2006 1:36 pm

I think DogBreath was a lot more pleasant, Grim.

Grimfarrow

#192 Post by Grimfarrow » Mon May 29, 2006 1:46 pm

franco wrote:I think DogBreath was a lot more pleasant, Grim.
Funny, 'cause I just saw this on Yahoo!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060529/hl_ ... ositive_dc

Over time, memories may grow more positive

;)

franco

#193 Post by franco » Mon May 29, 2006 2:00 pm

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing, Grimfarrow. You made my day.

tavernier

#194 Post by tavernier » Mon May 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Grimfarrow wrote:

;)
Oh God....so Bush will be thought of as one of our greatest presidents in 50 years?????

skuhn8

#195 Post by skuhn8 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:38 pm

tavernier wrote:
Grimfarrow wrote:

;)
Oh God....so Bush will be thought of as one of our greatest presidents in 50 years?????
wouldn't worry about that. He thoroughly shat himself. It'll smell for years to come. Ah, how I miss the good'ol Clinton years. Slick Willie, how I miss thee.

tavernier

#196 Post by tavernier » Mon May 29, 2006 4:41 pm

skuhn8 wrote:
tavernier wrote:
Grimfarrow wrote: Funny, 'cause I just saw this on Yahoo!

;)
wouldn't worry about that. He thoroughly shat himself. It'll smell for years to come. Ah, how I miss the good'ol Clinton years. Slick Willie, how I miss thee.
Amen, bro.

Alyosha

#197 Post by Alyosha » Mon May 29, 2006 4:46 pm

A clip from Loach's press conference earlier in the festival, for those of you who haven't seen anything from it:

http://www.svt.se/content/1/c6/59/39/43/KenLoach_hi.asx
http://www.svt.se/content/1/c6/59/39/43/KenLoach_hi.ram

Are there any videos from the price ceremony out there? Or maybe interviews with Loach etc.

Noir of the Night

#198 Post by Noir of the Night » Mon May 29, 2006 4:53 pm

THe front page of the Cannes homepage (www.festival-cannes.fr) has links to video footage from closing ceremony and press conference.

Barmy

#199 Post by Barmy » Tue May 30, 2006 12:40 am

Ken Roach fans consist exclusively of pretentious losers. I can't think of a more po-faced, cinematically boring, "director". Hello, but Stalin was voted out of office in the 50s.

I can accept fans of virtually any other director, but any supporter of this atavistic, drunken tosspot should be banished to Cuba.

Recently I've developed increasing hatred for the absurdly repetitous Won Kar Wai. Man, do I feel justified.

Noir of the Night

#200 Post by Noir of the Night » Tue May 30, 2006 12:45 am

Anyone who tries to suggest that Ken Loach is a roach is probably more accurately implicating himself.
Last edited by Noir of the Night on Tue May 30, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.