59th Cannes Film Festival

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
rs98762001

#201 Post by rs98762001 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:50 am

Barmy wrote:
I can accept fans of virtually any other director, but any supporter of this atavistic, drunken tosspot should be banished to Cuba.
I'd happily go. Cuba's beautiful.

John Cope

#202 Post by John Cope » Tue May 30, 2006 1:21 am

So I guess since I adore both Oliveira and Loach I must be on your permanent shit list, right Barmy?

Also, I have to respond to this even though I know I shouldn't...

ugetsu wrote: Anyway, it's all pretty meaningless, isn't it. Look at Tarkovsky's lack of a Palme d'Or... and in a few hunded years, no-one will even care who Tarkovsky is (or Dumont or Loach or any of us)...

I've never understood this line of reasoning, other than as glib nihilism. For one thing, relatively speaking, very few people worldwide know or care about Tarkovsky, Dumont or Loach now, let alone in a few hundred years. And dare I risk elitist sentiment if I suggest that if, in fact, no one knows about these figures in the future it will be a poorer future? I mean, using that logic why should anyone ever devote themselves to exacting, often isolating artistic endeavor rather than, say, marketing (where the money is!)? If temporary, personal satisfactions are all that count we're all really kidding ourselves I'll admit. Oddly perhaps, I don't believe that.

pzman84

#203 Post by pzman84 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:23 am

We have another one of these on our hands:

viewtopic.php?t=2928

zedz

#204 Post by zedz » Tue May 30, 2006 1:26 am

John Cope wrote:
ugetsu wrote: Anyway, it's all pretty meaningless, isn't it. Look at Tarkovsky's lack of a Palme d'Or... and in a few hunded years, no-one will even care who Tarkovsky is (or Dumont or Loach or any of us)...
I've never understood this line of reasoning, other than as glib nihilism. For one thing, relatively speaking, very few people worldwide know or care about Tarkovsky, Dumont or Loach now, let alone in a few hundred years. And dare I risk elitist sentiment if I suggest that if, in fact, no one knows about these figures in the future it will be a poorer future?
After all, nobody reads Fulmerford today.

Alyosha

#205 Post by Alyosha » Tue May 30, 2006 2:41 am

Barmy:

Are you a fan of senator Joe McCarthy? :) It doesn't mean "Stalin" or "Cuba" to think the way Loach does. But deep inside I think (well, hope) you already knew that and that all you were trying was to be provocative, right? :)

ellipsis7

#206 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:53 am

Hey - I thought Stalin was running Guantanamo Bay!...

Napoleon

#207 Post by Napoleon » Tue May 30, 2006 6:57 am

[Fingers crossed]Please let goofbutton make a comeback in this thread[/Fingers crossed]

HerrSchreck

#208 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am

Barmy wrote:Ken Roach fans consist exclusively of pretentious losers. I can't think of a more po-faced, cinematically boring, "director". Hello, but Stalin was voted out of office in the 50s.

I can accept fans of virtually any other director, but any supporter of this atavistic, drunken tosspot should be banished to Cuba.

Recently I've developed increasing hatred for the absurdly repetitous Won Kar Wai. Man, do I feel justified.

http://www.pukeplanet.com/images/barf.jpg

Grimfarrow

#209 Post by Grimfarrow » Tue May 30, 2006 10:12 am

franco wrote:Hilarious! Thanks for sharing, Grimfarrow. You made my day.
Haha- no prob. These punks are pretenders to Dogbreath's throne. I mean, how obvious can you get with a name like "Barmy"?

Anonymous

#210 Post by Anonymous » Tue May 30, 2006 10:16 am

and to think, this could have all been avoided if some people had been a little less unkind to Dumont in their opening gambits #-o

Matt

#211 Post by Matt » Tue May 30, 2006 10:51 am

I hate this fucking forum.