Robert Forster (1941-2019)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Passages

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:43 pm

This one hurts.

Jack Kubrick

#3 Post by Jack Kubrick » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 am

More cryptic this happens when El Camino dropping on Netflix.

R.I.P to a great character actor.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4 Post by cdnchris » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:19 am

mfunk9786 wrote:This one hurts.
With ya. This was particularly devastating.

dadaistnun

Robert Forster (1941-2019)

#5 Post by dadaistnun » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm
Robert Forster
I had the opportunity to meet him once. I was working as a projectionist in Rochester when Jackie Brown came out and we hosted a special screening. Forster was there with his daughter and some other family and friends. The extent of our interaction was the owner of the theater introducing us, a handshake & hello, but he was such a warm and lovely guy. I was a nervous wreck the whole day leading up to the screening but he helped put me at least somewhat at ease (I’m sure the owner of the theater would have still had my head if anything had gone wrong!).

bearcuborg

#6 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:08 am

Cool story dadaistnun. I’m glad you came through in the clutch!

I think a case can be made for *Forster giving the best performance in a Tarantino movie, which is saying something. His final scene in particular is played so beautifully, with so much restraint and heartbreak, that it remains the most touching scene in any Tarantino film, by far. That’s part of the reason it remains my favorite film of Tarantino’s, and perhaps one of the reasons most overlook the movie.

I must admit not being more than superficially familiar with his work prior to Jackie Brown at the time of its release, but he sure as hell made the most of it afterwards. He made a really overlooked movie called Diamond Men that’s worth checking out. Also, if you can dig up his appearance Leonard Maltin’s podcast from years ago, he’s a great story teller and does a wonderful John Huston impression.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am

bearcuborg wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:08 am
I think a case can be made for Forrester giving the best performance in a Tarantino movie, which is saying something. His final scene in particular is played so beautifully, with so much restraint and heartbreak, that it remains the most touching scene in any Tarantino film, by far. That’s part of the reason it remains my favorite film of Tarantino’s, and perhaps one of the reasons most overlook the movie.

I must admit not being more than superficially familiar with his work...
...or his name.

bearcuborg

#8 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

Ah, typo guy. Thanks though. Fixed!

RIP
Last edited by bearcuborg on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:35 am

Sorry, your wide-open goal was too tempting to resist!

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:17 pm

We shouldn't forget his (extremely) brief appearance in Mulholland Drive too! And his bigger role in Season 3 of Twin Peaks.

I don't know how well it holds up now as it has been decades since I last saw it, but Forster was also part of the impressive cast list in one of the key films from Disney's 'dark period' (that covered other films such as The Black Cauldron, The Watcher In The Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes), the live action sci-fi The Black Hole.

He is also great as the lead in a couple of exploitation films: Vigilante, directed by William Lustig, and the John Sayles-scripted Alligator.

He was also drafted in by Gus Van Sant to do the psychiatrist's explanatory monologue at the end of the Psycho remake!

thirtyframesasecond

#11 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:33 am

I haven't seen Alligator for years (and when I say that, I was probably around 6-7 when I saw it!)

The Curious Sofa

#12 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:49 am

Alligator was the movie where I first became aware of Robert Forster. The writing and acting was so much better than expected for that type of film. The screwball banter between him and Robin Riker is delightful.

Mr. Deltoid

#13 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:17 pm
We shouldn't forget his (extremely) brief appearance in Mulholland Drive too! And his bigger role in Season 3 of Twin Peaks.

I don't know how well it holds up now as it has been decades since I last saw it, but Forster was also part of the impressive cast list in one of the key films from Disney's 'dark period' (that covered other films such as The Black Cauldron, The Watcher In The Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes), the live action sci-fi The Black Hole.

He is also great as the lead in a couple of exploitation films: Vigilante, directed by William Lustig, and the John Sayles-scripted Alligator.

He was also drafted in by Gus Van Sant to do the psychiatrist's explanatory monologue at the end of the Psycho remake!
Anyone remember Forster's performance in American Perfekt? Made the same year as Jackie Brown, this was a now seemingly forgotten Neo-Noir Road Movie that edges into psychological-horror. It has a fun cast, full of ripe old performances from the likes of Amanda Plummer, Fariuza Balk and David Thewlis. I can't remember the details, but I recall Forster playing a seemingly normal character who is gradually revealed to be a bit of a psychopath, his actions determined on the toss of a coin. Seeing No Country For Old Men a number of years later brought this film to mind (I wonder if Cormac McCarthy was a fan?)
The BBC used to play this quite regularly in the early naughties, but I haven't seen it for years. It ain't great art, but it's worth watching for Forster and that cast!

aox

Re: Robert Forster (1941-2019)

#14 Post by aox » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:38 pm

I just rewatched the final four episodes of Breaking Bad in preparation for the movie, and he was fantastic in his role as well. I had forgotten he played that part in the series.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:44 pm

OK, my first thought was the Go-Betweens, which made my heart leap into my throat, but this is sad news too: so much great work over so many years. I don't think I've ever seen him give a flashy performance, but I've also never seen him give one that didn't improve the film he was in.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#16 Post by barryconvex » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:03 am

My first Forster was The Black Hole which he brought a quiet integrity to despite having to act across from those terrible Star Wars robot knock offs. It can't be overstated though; his work in Jackie Brown will be a high water mark forever.

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 am

I still think that Christopher Nolan was alluding to The Black Hole in the relationship between the main character and the robot companion in Interstellar! (Although I assume that someone like Mark Kermode would argue that both of those films were ripping off Silent Running as well to a certain extent!)