Lists of the Best Films and Performances of the 2010s: A Plague We'll Be Enduring For a While

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Malickite

Re: Lists of the Best Films and Performances of the 2010s: A Plague We'll Be Enduring For a While

#76 Post by Malickite » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:57 pm

No Anomalisa or The Witch, but The Last Jedi? Oof.

RitrovataBlue

Re: Lists of the Best Films and Performances of the 2010s: A Plague We'll Be Enduring For a While

#77 Post by RitrovataBlue » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Nearly everyone here presupposes that cinema is entering a “dark age”. I disagree. Truly remarkable and truly new films are released all the time; they simply don’t receive mainstream financing or wide theatrical release. If I want to see the next Pedro Costa film, I will almost certainly have to drive several hours and watch it in a university-affiliated art gallery. But it will exist, and (if history has any bearing) it will be remarkable. Are today’s filmmakers as great as Bergman was circa Cries and Whispers, or Hitchcock circa Vertigo? I’m not sure that this is the right question, since the conditions of production have undergone total transformation since the great international arthouse cinema wave of the post-WWII decades. Terence Nance pivoted to television after the breathtaking An Oversimplification of Her Beauty and made an experimental series for HBO whose best episodes rival the audiovisual complexity of Histoire(s) du Cinéma. Art cinema is alive and well, even if conventional art film distribution is at its nadir.

That said, it would seem that our entire culture is entering a dark age, so who can say what will become of cinema in the nightmare hell of a global warming-ravaged fascist state...

BenoitRouilly

#78 Post by BenoitRouilly » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 am
Milton bragged of overgoing all epic poets before him. He achieved astonishing greatness and outdid Spenser, but Dante, Vergil, and Homer are still his superiors. Hemingway bragged of taking on Tolstoy; Tolstoy won. No wonder Ulysses was so Shakespeare haunted; no matter how many innovations Joyce packed into his great novel, it'll never be better than Shakespeare.
This is precisely when I would use the "on the shoulders of giants" analogy! But maybe that's just me. It is just a metaphore afterall. Don't take it so litterally... I didn't know a moderation was enforced on the type of analogy we could use around here! Thanks simile police.
We can agree on one thing : Art is not like Science. Therefore parallels between those two are doomed to failure.
And we can agree on another thing : the Sixties was the best decade ever !
Damn that was a long unecessary tangent... I went universalistic from 2000BC to 12000EC just to relativise the peak of the sixties...

knives

#79 Post by knives » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:53 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:30 pm

And we can agree on another thing : the Sixties was the best decade ever !

moreorless

#80 Post by moreorless » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:01 pm

RitrovataBlue wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 pm
Nearly everyone here presupposes that cinema is entering a “dark age”. I disagree. Truly remarkable and truly new films are released all the time; they simply don’t receive mainstream financing or wide theatrical release. If I want to see the next Pedro Costa film, I will almost certainly have to drive several hours and watch it in a university-affiliated art gallery. But it will exist, and (if history has any bearing) it will be remarkable. Are today’s filmmakers as great as Bergman was circa Cries and Whispers, or Hitchcock circa Vertigo? I’m not sure that this is the right question, since the conditions of production have undergone total transformation since the great international arthouse cinema wave of the post-WWII decades. Terence Nance pivoted to television after the breathtaking An Oversimplification of Her Beauty and made an experimental series for HBO whose best episodes rival the audiovisual complexity of Histoire(s) du Cinéma. Art cinema is alive and well, even if conventional art film distribution is at its nadir.

That said, it would seem that our entire culture is entering a dark age, so who can say what will become of cinema in the nightmare hell of a global warming-ravaged fascist state...
I would actually say cinema today is in a some what similar position to popular music in the 80's and 90's, you have a highly segmented market that whilst it limits exposure and budgets of more ambitious cinema does mean that it has quite dependable funding and viewership at a lower level.

colinr0380

Re: Film Criticism

#81 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:29 am

The Guardian's list of the best 100 films of the 21st century (so far). I have no quibbles with the top spot (though Mulholland Drive only at 11, whilst 12 Years A Slave is at number 2? Pure madness!), though just quickly off the top of my head there are so many other films I could add to that: Code Unknown, The Lobster, Redacted, All About Lily Chou-Chou, Atonement, Demonlover, Eureka, Werckmeister Harmonies, The Corporation, Drive, Upstream Color, The Grandmaster, Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence, Pulse (and Bright Future), Dancer In The Dark, Chopper, Anatomy of Hell, A Snake of June, Solaris, Traffic, Snowpiercer, Shin Godzilla, Gosford Park, Ravenous, Twentynine Palms, Robinson In Ruins, Timecode, Ten, 20th Century Women, Tabloid, I Wish, Computer Chess and, of course, The Atrocity Exhbition. That's the nature of lists though, I suppose!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#82 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:22 am

I just got around to looking at that Guardian list, and while I certainly respect the inclination not to ignore comedies as a genre, this may have gone a bit overboard: Seth MacFarlane’s Ted 25 spots ahead of No Country for Old Men and putting Team America in the top 10?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#83 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am

They didn't even pick good comedies!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#85 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Mad Max at #1 is hysterical. Also, what is it with Lady Bird placing at #10 on lists of this type (it was in the same slot on the much-maligned Indiewire list)?

MichaelB

#86 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:05 pm

As with the Sight & Sound decennial polls, I suspect certain individual titles do disproportionately well because more people have seen them.

This is also why directors with a single obvious "greatest hit" (Ozu, Eisenstein, Renoir) do better in S&S polls than those where there isn't a similar consensus (Buñuel, Bresson, Rohmer).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#87 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Not sure that Ozu, Eisenstein or Renoir REALLY have "a single obvious greatest hit" -- rather than an already arbitrarily-determined, critically-endorsed pick. ;-)

knives

#88 Post by knives » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm treating these lists a bit like our lists here. A helpful guide on what I have missed that rings important in various cultural spheres. AVC has the sort of personality that Lady Bird being a high ranker makes sense, but more important to me is that it's going to push me to finally see Miss Bala.

BenoitRouilly

#89 Post by BenoitRouilly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Ozu has 2 titles in the top15 of the S&S poll

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#90 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm
I'm treating these lists a bit like our lists here. A helpful guide on what I have missed that rings important in various cultural spheres. AVC has the sort of personality that Lady Bird being a high ranker makes sense, but more important to me is that it's going to push me to finally see Miss Bala.
[The original] Miss Bala is a indeed a very good film.

knives

#91 Post by knives » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:29 pm

There's actually eleven on the list I haven't seen (though two I'm wary of) so I'm happy to have something to mix with the horror films for the next month or two.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#92 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm wary of you not telling us what these are! Curious.

knives

#93 Post by knives » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Bridesmaids and The Look of Silence. I'm not really into Apatow style gross out humour (give me Marco Ferrari instead any day) and everything else I've seen by Oppenheimer doesn't give me hope.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#94 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:43 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:39 pm
Bridesmaids and The Look of Silence. I'm not really into Apatow style gross out humour (give me Marco Ferrari instead any day) and everything else I've seen by Oppenheimer doesn't give me hope.
Not sure why you'd put this here when we have a Great Double Bills thread

knives

#95 Post by knives » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 pm

That legit made me laugh.

therewillbeblus

#96 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:28 pm

That I can’t tell whether this caption for Tangerine is a joke is indicative of the silliness of the list:
Sorry Bad Santa 2—this is the decade’s best Christmas movie

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#97 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Hopefully next decade we can leave behind the stupid new-ish thing where you have to talk about how everything is or isn't "a Christmas movie"

therewillbeblus

#98 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I don't want to live in a world where Eyes Wide Shut isn't mixed into the holiday blu-ray bin at Walmart.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#100 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:56 pm

I think I could agree with about 5 of MD's picks (at least as part of a top 25), and maybe 3 of AOS's. ;-)