Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Nasir007

Re: Awards Season 2019

#351 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Noms that pleased me
ANTONIO BANDERAS Pain and Glory
KATHY BATES Richard Jewell
THE LIGHTHOUSE Cinematography
PARASITE Editing
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER John Williams
PARASITE Production Design

Noms the surprised me
JONATHAN PRYCE The Two Popes
CYNTHIA ERIVO Harriet

Snubs that amused me
Jennifer Lopez
Frozen 2
Eddie Murphy
Robert De Niro
Taron Egerton
Jamie Foxx
Christian Bale

Noms that made me roll my eyes
FORD V FERRARI Best Picture
KNIVES OUT Screenplay
1917 Screenplay
THE IRISHMAN VFX

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#352 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm

All morning I've been thinking about the Spahn Ranch sequence in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood and wondering how anyone on this planet can think that Jojo Rabbit was a better edited film. I realize it's not the sexiest category to be angry about, but it's on the shortlist of the most memorable editing I've ever seen, let alone this year, and it seems so absolutely bizarre for it to be overlooked.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#353 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:16 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 am
DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:00 am
If only Sandler had snuck in there as well...
This was my main horse in the race, the guy just can't catch a break - three wonderful performances and no recognition.

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:18 am
After two phenomenal dramatic performances, Sandler will finally get his Oscar nom, and it’ll be well-deserved.
A Christian witnessing film with Topher Grace as a youth pastor has more Oscar noms than Uncut Gems

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#354 Post by Brian C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 pm

I’ll second Nasir007’s eye-roll over 1917 getting a screenplay nomination. I can appreciate the technical achievements of the film, but it’s a completely generic let’s-get-our-characters-from-one-setpiece-to-the-next action-movie script.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#355 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm

So... anyone up for another friendly predictions competition for the winners?

Toland's Mitchell

#356 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm
All morning I've been thinking about the Spahn Ranch sequence in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood and wondering how anyone on this planet can think that Jojo Rabbit was a better edited film. I realize it's not the sexiest category to be angry about, but it's on the shortlist of the most memorable editing I've ever seen, let alone this year, and it seems so absolutely bizarre for it to be overlooked.
Agreed. That was great editing. Still haven't seen Jojo. It's on my watchlist, and I don't know what to expect. I've heard "it's amazing" and "it's awful" from equally trusted sources.

I feel I did pretty good making predictions. Then again, the Academy is about as predictable as a ham and cheese sandwich.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm
So... anyone up for another friendly predictions competition for the winners?
As long as there's a worthwhile prize, sure.

DarkImbecile

#357 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Full results, by the way:

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#358 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:34 pm

JoJo Rabbit is...fine. I doubt it'll wind up on my Top 10 for the year when all's said and done (it's on there now largely because I haven't seen everything I'd like to yet), but it was pleasant and enjoyable enough. I'm a little baffled at all the nominations it's gotten, though. I thought Johansson's performance was downright awful.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#359 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Full results, by the way:

Thanks for doing this. Fun stats on perfect predix for categories where it applies:

Best Picture (9/9) the Narrator Returns - I think this is the most impressive because you gotta get the films and the number
Best Director (5/5) domino harvey
Best Actor (5/5) N/A
Best Actress (5/5) Apperson, soundchaser
Best Sup Actor (5/5) Altair, Apperson, DarkImbecile, therewillbeblus
Best Sup Actress (5/5) N/A - Lopez snub killed every prediction anywhere, biggest snub of a would-be frontrunner since Sorkin missed for Steve Jobs
Best Adapted Screenplay (5/5) Apperson, domino harvey, lacritfan, movielocke, therewillbeblus
Best Original Screenplay (5/5) Toland’s Mitchell

(Edited to reflect corrected info/charts)

therewillbeblus

#360 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:45 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm
In recent years this hasn't been so much the case, but for a while editing and best picture went pretty much hand-in-hand and if a favorite in the BP was snubbed in editing it seemed to indicate that film wouldn't hold as much of a chance. I still look at that category and get worried even though I know I shouldn't - so yeah, as someone who is 110% in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood's camp for taking the top prize, this is upsetting (though I'm just as interested in Tarantino taking Best Director- I think it'll be Scorsese or Bong, but I'd love to see him win this just once). Plus I also don't see how Jojo Rabbit's editing was one of the five best of the year.

Toland's Mitchell

#361 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 pm

So everybody scored between 33 and 38 out of a possible 44. Everyone did a good job!

Also I'm confused about this chart regarding Antonio Banderas. On most people's columns, his named appears in white. However, in TNR's column and TM's column, his name has a red background.

DarkImbecile

#362 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 pm
So everybody scored between 33 and 38 out of a possible 44. Everyone did a good job!

Also I'm confused about this chart regarding Antonio Banderas. On most people's columns, his named appears in white. However, in TNR's column and TM's column, his name has a red background.
Nice catch! Corrected results coming shortly

DarkImbecile

#363 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Winner: Apperson
2nd Place: The Narrator Returns
3rd Place: DarkImbecikle, dominoharvey, therewillbeblus, soundchaser, Altair
4th Place: Toland's Mitchell, lacritfan
5th Place: movielocke

knives

#364 Post by knives » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:01 pm

This is a nice sounding batch, but 40 remain unseen by me. Dang Netflix is going to keep that number high too.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#365 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Not (at least intermittently to catch up) having Netflix in 2020 is like not having a CD player in 1995, I can't even imagine it despite not being particularly fond of their model

Toland's Mitchell

#366 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Crap, now I'm noticing Anthony Hopkins's name is inconsistent on this chart.

Luke M

#367 Post by Luke M » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:Film Twitter is going into convulsions over this rather innocuous line up, so I think it’s a great set of nominees!

I never believed Ford v Ferrari had a chance and could not understand why people were still predicting it even though it had no real precursor support, but I was clearly wrong
I'm amazed at how much Film Twitter has tried to cancel Joaquin Phoenix and now calling Joker this year's Green Book. It's amusing.

DarkImbecile

#368 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Crap, now I'm noticing Anthony Hopkins's name is inconsistent on this chart.
This is what I get for waking up at 6am to tinker with a spreadsheet:

Winner: Apperson
2nd Place: The Narrator Returns, therewillbeblus
3rd Place: DarkImbecikle, dominoharvey, soundchaser, Altair
4th Place: Toland's Mitchell, lacritfan
5th Place: movielocke

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#369 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Luke M wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm
domino harvey wrote:Film Twitter is going into convulsions over this rather innocuous line up, so I think it’s a great set of nominees!

I never believed Ford v Ferrari had a chance and could not understand why people were still predicting it even though it had no real precursor support, but I was clearly wrong
I'm amazed at how much Film Twitter has tried to cancel Joaquin Phoenix and now calling Joker this year's Green Book. It's amusing.
A lot of very good critics detest Joker, and despite my finding the film compelling and well made and incredibly prescient, I don't really blame them.

DarkImbecile

#370 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm
Best Picture (9/9) the Narrator Returns - I think this is the most impressive because you gotta get the films and the number
Best Director (5/5) domino harvey
Best Actor (5/5) N/A
Best Actress (5/5) Apperson, soundchaser
Best Sup Actor (5/5) Altair, DarkImbecile
Best Sup Actress (5/5) N/A - Lopez snub killed every prediction anywhere, biggest snub of a would-be frontrunner since Sorkin missed for Steve Jobs
Best Adapted Screenplay (5/5) Apperson, domino harvey, lacritfan, movielocke, therewillbeblus
Best Original Screenplay (5/5) Toland’s Mitchell
Following the latest correction, therewillbeblus and Apperson should be on the list for perfect Supporting Actor predictions as well

knives

#371 Post by knives » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Not (at least intermittently to catch up) having Netflix in 2020 is like not having a CD player in 1995, I can't even imagine it despite not being particularly fond of their model
I don't have the time. Between kevyip and the library I'd have to watch like five films a day to warrant Netflix. I mean I still have the Alan Clarke box in my kevyip.

Big Ben

#372 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Luke M wrote:

There's a weird sense of entitlement about that that bothers me mostly because Film Twitter appears to operate under the idea that there's some conspiracy afoot rather than the more realistic possibility that a body of people outside of their preconceived notions of what the film community is actually liked a film that they did not.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#373 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
I don't have the time. Between kevyip and the library I'd have to watch like five films a day to warrant Netflix. I mean I still have the Alan Clarke box in my kevyip.
Oh, well that's a whole other ball of wax! You just made it sound as though films on Netflix are behind a wall for you permanently, which seems self defeating if the only barrier to entry is a 30 day free trial or something

Re: Lopez - it's funny because the film is so thunderously mediocre in so many ways, but she completely deserved to be nominated, especially over the aforementioned Johansson tire fire. I thought Kathy Bates was stupendously good in Richard Jewell so no complaints about who essentially took her place, but Lopez did strong work aside a lead who doesn't seem to be a very good actress, not only as an actor but as an athlete as well

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#374 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Luke M wrote:

There's a weird sense of entitlement about that that bothers me mostly because Film Twitter appears to operate under the idea that there's some conspiracy afoot rather than the more realistic possibility that a body of people outside of their preconceived notions of what the film community is actually liked a film that they did not.
I think these nominations are a great reminder that Film Twitter has almost no actual power or sway and are just a vocal minority

Luke M

#375 Post by Luke M » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Luke M wrote:
I think these nominations are a great reminder that Film Twitter has almost no actual power or sway and are just a vocal minority
Thank God.