Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Awards Season 2019

#376 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Considering that "Film Twitter" consists of a bunch of people whose opinions vary, it's also a good reminder that they are* an amorphous entity

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#377 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Considering that "Film Twitter" consists of a bunch of people whose opinions vary, it's also a good reminder that they aren't an amorphous entity by any stretch
Nah

Jack Kubrick

#378 Post by Jack Kubrick » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Luke M wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm
I'm amazed at how much Film Twitter has tried to cancel Joaquin Phoenix and now calling Joker this year's Green Book. It's amusing.
There's a weird sense of entitlement about that that bothers me mostly because Film Twitter appears to operate under the idea that there's some conspiracy afoot rather than the more realistic possibility that a body of people outside of their preconceived notions of what the film community is actually liked a film that they did not.
I think these nominations are a great reminder that Film Twitter has almost no actual power or sway and are just a vocal minority

Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book wins were Film Twitter Achilles heel.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#379 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Those two examples aren't making me feel any derision toward Film Twitter, if that's your aim
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Considering that "Film Twitter" consists of a bunch of people whose opinions vary, it's also a good reminder that they aren't an amorphous entity by any stretch
Nah
I got this syntax backwards because I've got half of my brain on work but stand by the sentiment anyway

Anyway, I follow somewhere around 200 people who tweet about movies all day and not one of them is playing a violin for The Farewell or Hustlers, though a few of them dislike Joker a great deal. In other words - "Film Twitter" is what you want it to be

Big Ben

#380 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm bothered significantly more by the toxicity of the Film Twitter bubble more so than the perfectly acceptable reality of someone simply having a different opinion and discussing it rationally. But I agree with mfunk that it's broader than we give it credit for. The toxicity surrounding The Last Jedi for instance was something else, with the mere mention of it being enough to summon a fatal dose of rage from disgruntled viewers.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#381 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Anthony McCarten now has more Oscar nominations in the last six years than anyone other than Deakins. Who the hell is that, you might ask? Well, he wrote the screenplays for the following films: The Theory of Everything, Darkest Hour, Bohemian Rhapsody, and The Two Popes. Must have some incriminating photos of somebody.

Jack Kubrick

#382 Post by Jack Kubrick » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm

That was a commentary on their lack sheer of power Film Twitter has on award consensus and not their questionable quality. The discourse runs from typical stans of an actor to your genuine cinephiles that see the event as nothing more than silly Hollywood self-promotion.
mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Those two examples aren't making me feel any derision toward Film Twitter, if that's your aim
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Nah
I got this syntax backwards because I've got half of my brain on work but stand by the sentiment anyway

Anyway, I follow somewhere around 200 people who tweet about movies all day and not one of them is playing a violin for The Farewell or Hustlers, though a few of them dislike Joker a great deal. In other words - "Film Twitter" is what you want it to be

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#383 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:25 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm
In other words - "Film Twitter" is what you want it to be
Well, I just finally checked in with my version of Film Twitter, and they seem to be losing their shit to a completely disproportionate degree. On the whole, these nominations are much better than last year’s on both a quality and diversity level, yet several people I follow are reacting as if the Academy just committed a hate crime. Like, I enjoy reading Walter Chaw’s work, but he’s out there questioning the meaning of existence!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#384 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't put professional critics in the same category, frankly. Some of them have very unpleasant personalities, and when in a position to have a rooting interest in this sort of thing always manage to show their ass. Chaw tweets too much as it is, and often spirals into what I can only describe as rants - and he's far from the only paid critic who falls into that category

movielocke

#385 Post by movielocke » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm

I haven't checked twitter today, are they losing their shit for another oscars so white with the acting nominees (all the POC snubs, Awkwafina, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Lopez)?

I'm thrilled to be the worst predictor on this site, it's a rare honor to achieve.

Overall it looks like there's only 38 feature films nominated (including Doc, Animated and Foreign) which seems like a very low number to me, but I haven't checked to compare. An artifact of four films getting ten or more nominations, which is pretty damn unusual.

there are 27 feature films nominated, if you take away the 'single nominations' in the Doc, Animated and International categories (usually of those 15 available slots, the majority are single nominees, this year Honeyland is an oddity being nominated in Documentary and International).

Breakthrough has to be the year's weirdest nominee, by far, That Song category, I think that branch of the academy needs even more of a shakeup (I say without having heard the song or heard of the film, but it seems like it's a god's not dead type of Contempory christian music song / film based on looking at the imdb synopsis?)

Luke M

#386 Post by Luke M » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm

I think those of us on Twitter follow people who have reasonable film opinions. I think what we think of the collective Film Twitter are the tweets that have thousands of likes/retweets.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#387 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

movielocke wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm
I haven't checked twitter today, are they losing their shit for another oscars so white with the acting nominees (all the POC snubs, Awkwafina, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Lopez)?
The only black person nominated for acting playing a slave and Gerwig missing for their arch nemesis Todd Phillips are their biggest gripes. The fact that they hated Joker and ascribed it any number of social ills and it still dominated is an utter refutation of their reach and pull, so they're "shaking and crying" more than usual

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#388 Post by Brian C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Decided to check in on Walter Chaw’s Twitter on the recommendations of you fine gents and near the top is this nugget, written without any apparent irony:

“I don't care if your tastes are different than mine as long as your tastes aren't hateful and ignorant as fuck.”

So, like ... hmm.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#389 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Luke M wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm
I think those of us on Twitter follow people who have reasonable film opinions. I think what we think of the collective Film Twitter are the tweets that have thousands of likes/retweets.
Very good way of putting it, but worth considering where those likes/retweets are coming from in large part (students, people who aren't particularly engaged with this one way or another, etc). It's not as though virality = quality

zedz

#390 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:04 pm
Anthony McCarten now has more Oscar nominations in the last six years than anyone other than Deakins. Who the hell is that, you might ask?
Mediocre New Zealand playwright and filmmaker made "good." Once threatened to sue the makers of The Full Monty for its vague similarities to his play Ladies' Night, though I don't know if he actually went through with it.

DarkImbecile

#391 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm

I haven’t seen the movie, but I did like this from Mark Harris’ piece in Vanity Fair:
But I suspect something else was going on with Lopez and Hustlers, which is that she did everything wrong. She dared to play a character who used her sexuality as a professional survival tool and didn’t regret it; she committed the unforgivable sin of being sympathetic and then not; she took her public image and spectacularly amplified and reworked it to suit a complicated character. That is not what Academy voters want from J-Lo. What they want is for her to scrub off her makeup and play a poor mother dying of something who tries to find someone to take care of her kids. They want a role that says, look how serious I am. Look how willing I am to punish myself for you. That kind of self-abasement has always been something Academy voters love to see from actresses; even if we set aside the grim social implications of that kind of thinking, what remains is a disappointing limitation of vision. The Academy has never been good at looking at a performance like the one Lopez gives in Hustlers and understanding that it is as serious, committed, and carefully crafted as the kind of stuff it usually likes. Actors, of all people, should know better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#392 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm

The same Academy that nominated Penelope Cruz in Nine wants non-sexual starlets?

knives

#393 Post by knives » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm

No, just non-sexual J-los.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#394 Post by Brian C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Maybe there are just a lot of people like me in the Academy, who didn’t feel like bothering with HUSTLERS because they think Jennifer Lopez is one of the most spectacularly talentless people to ever become famous for ostensibly talent-related reasons.

Oh wait, shit ... people like me ... #OscarsSoWhite #BrianProvedTheWrongPoint

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#395 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Now we know what the C stands for

DarkImbecile

#396 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm
So... anyone up for another friendly predictions competition for the winners?

Well, even though nobody responded in the affirmative to my very classy Antonio Banderas GIF, I already wrote the rules for the damn thing and it has a time component, so I'm just going to post these now.

Unless your post specifically says otherwise, if you post your predictions for the 2020 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Awards in all categories in this thread before 11:59 PM Eastern time on Saturday, February 8, 2020, you are entered in the CF.org Oscar Winners Predictions Sweepstakes, with a chance to win the Grand Prize of: naming one (1) 2019 film that is accessible through legal means in an English-friendly version and politely suggesting that all non-winning contestants see and and post about that film within a reasonable time frame or face a penalty of lukewarm public shaming.

Scoring:
  • One point per correctly predicted winner
  • Tiebreaker: in the case of a tie, the individual who posted their list of predictions earliest will be declared the winner

flyonthewall2983

#397 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:31 pm

I think this is going to be Tarantino's year. Besides the fact that I think it's deserved, I don't think the Academy is ready to reward Netflix for anything huge yet.

therewillbeblus

#398 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:37 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm
a chance to win the Grand Prize of: naming one (1) 2019 film that is accessible through legal means in an English-friendly version
I see what you did there. Luckily La flor meets those qualifications now!

knives

#399 Post by knives » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 pm

It's streaming? I know what my afternoon plans may become.

therewillbeblus

#400 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 pm
It's streaming? I know what my afternoon plans may become.
Grasshopper Film was streaming it before new year's but now I'm not sure if they've put it on iTunes et al. yet. There is a blu-ray with English subs coming out in Germany in a week, but Grasshopper also said this a month ago:
GrasshopperFilm wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:58 pm
LA FLOR is coming soon! We'll be releasing it on iTunes and other platforms in early 2020.