Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Matt

Re: Awards Season 2019

#526 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 pm

I'm going to prognosticate that she's there to perform a medley of famous and beloved Oscar-winning songs ("Moon River," "The Way We Were," "Take My Breath Away") while clips of the films play on a big screen behind her. Or a similar tribute to Randy Newman or Judy Garland. This seems like exactly the kind of self-congratulatory and youth-pandering thing that the Oscars loves to do. Whether there will be writhing dancers or an on-stage orchestra is a coin toss.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#527 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:29 pm

I might agree with you if it were anyone else, but a Streisand or Randy Newman tribute is the absolute last thing I can imagine Billie Eilish doing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#528 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:45 pm

She’s surely either doing In Memorium or one of the nominated songs

Feego

#529 Post by Feego » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:34 pm

I doubt the Academy would choose one of the most popular young artists around for the In Memoriam, a segment where she will not be the focal point. Performing a nominated song is more likely.

It's also possible they're planning a musical tribute to a beloved film for its anniversary. Pink sang "Over the Rainbow" to celebrate the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, and Lady Gaga sang a medley of songs from The Sound of Music for that film's 50th anniversary. I don't think many would have associated either of those artists with those particular films beforehand. I know everyone here would love it to be a happy 20th to Moulin Rouge!

Nasir007

#530 Post by Nasir007 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:07 pm

God no. No pointless montages. Adds 5-7 minutes to the show. Hopefully, it is one of the nominated songs, anything else might add to the runtime. Though In Memorium set to Bad Guy could be interesting.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#531 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:56 am

Nasir007 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm
It is surprising J'Accuse got so many nominations despite the scandal.
Not that much in here, really.
I mean, it's not as if people don't prefer supporting the movie and Polanski than wonder if there's any truth to the multiple claims against him.
You know : free the art before anything else.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#532 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 pm

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#533 Post by soundchaser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Huh. This throws a bit of a wrench into things. Could Parasite have a shot? (I still think Adapted is Little Women’s to lose.)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#534 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Good for Bong, but please lord don't let this be enough to topple Little Women in Adapted, especially not for fucking Jojo Rabbit. I still think the Tarantino will take Original, though - Bong was and still is guaranteed an award, remember.

therewillbeblus

#535 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 pm

I think Little Women is safe in the Oscars even if only because of Gerwig’s perceived director snub will securely push the vote. Not that she doesn’t deserve it!

Nasir007

#536 Post by Nasir007 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Art Director's Guild Awards

Period Film

Ford v Ferrari; Production Designer: François Audouy
The Irishman; Production Designer: Bob Shaw
Jojo Rabbit; Production Designer: Ra Vincent
Joker; Production Designer: Mark Friedberg
1917; Production Designer: Dennis Gassner
WINNER Once Upon a Time in Hollywood; Production Designer: Barbara Ling

Fantasy Film

Ad Astra; Production Designer: Kevin Thompson
Aladdin; Production Designer: Gemma Jackson
WINNER Avengers: Endgame; Production Designer: Charles Wood
Dumbo; Production Designer: Rick Heinrichs
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil; Production Designer: Patrick Tatopoulos
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker; Production Designers: Rick Carter, Kevin Jenkins

Contemporary Film

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood; Production Designer: Jade Healy
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum; Production Designer: Kevin Kavanaugh
Knives Out; Production Designer: David Crank
WINNER Parasite; Production Designer: Lee Ha-Jun
Us; Production Designer: Ruth De Jong

--

The underlined are the Oscar nominees. It is between 1917, Once Upon A Time and Parasite in this category (just like in several other major ones). Parasite in many ways would be a remarkable and unprecedented winner in this category.

Parasite is up for Best Picture, Director, Writing, Editing & Production Design in the main oscar categories. All 5 of these have industry awards which have all announced and Parasite was up for all 5 of these guilds and has now won 3, losing DGA and PGA to 1917. Add SAG and Parasite has done rather well. The last major industry award is the Baftas but that has a sort of British skew to it. But all in all, Parasite has been one of the most successful foreign language films in the awards season - just a year after Roma which was similarly successful. Hopefully, this will become a regular occurrence rather than an aberration.

Nasir007

#537 Post by Nasir007 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Bafta Winners

BEST FILM - 1917 - Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Sam Mendes, Jayne-Ann Tenggren
LEADING ACTRESS - RENÉE ZELLWEGER - Judy
LEADING ACTOR - JOAQUIN PHOENIX - Joker
DIRECTOR - 1917 - Sam Mendes
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM - 1917 - Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, Krysty Wilson-Cairns
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER - BAIT - Mark Jenkin (Writer/Director), Kate Byers, Linn Waite (Producers)
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE - PARASITE - Bong Joon Ho
DOCUMENTARY - FOR SAMA - Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
ANIMATED FILM - KLAUS - Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - PARASITE - Han Jin Won, Bong Joon Ho
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - JOJO RABBIT - Taika Waititi
SUPPORTING ACTRESS - LAURA DERN - Marriage Story
SUPPORTING ACTOR - BRAD PITT - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
ORIGINAL SCORE - JOKER - Hildur Guðnadóttir
CASTING - JOKER - Shayna Markowitz
CINEMATOGRAPHY - 1917 - Roger Deakins
EDITING - FORD V FERRARI (LE MANS ’66) - Andrew Buckland, Michael McCusker
PRODUCTION DESIGN - 1917 - Dennis Gassner, Lee Sandales
COSTUME DESIGN - LITTLE WOMEN - Jacqueline Durran
MAKE UP & HAIR - BOMBSHELL - Vivian Baker, Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan
SOUND - 1917 - Scott Millan, Oliver Tarney, Rachael Tate, Mark Taylor, Stuart Wilson
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS - 1917 - Greg Butler, Guillaume Rocheron, Dominic Tuohy
BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION - GRANDAD WAS A ROMANTIC - Maryam Mohajer
BRITISH SHORT FILM - LEARNING TO SKATEBOARD IN A WARZONE (IF YOU’RE A GIRL) - Carol Dysinger, Elena Andreicheva
EE RISING STAR AWARD - Micheal Ward
OUTSTANDING BRITISH CONTRIBUTION TO CINEMA - Andy Serkis

--

Standard winners up and down. The only intrigue seems to be in the writing categories. Most others seem like settled business.

thirtyframesasecond

#538 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:51 am

Parasite / Jojo Rabbit won original / adapted at the WGAs too, so get your money on those.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#539 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 am

One of the stupidest awards years I can remember.

colinr0380

#540 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:34 am

It did feel a little bit rich for Prince William to lecture on diversity at the BAFTAs when two of the most diverse members of his family have just split...

therewillbeblus

#541 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 am
One of the stupidest awards years I can remember.
And to think that only a few weeks ago it seemed to be the best! I don't think Jojo Rabbit will come away with anything, though I'm much more worried about Tarantino getting the shaft for what could be both the boldest winner in recent memory (ever?) and in step with Hollywood comfortability at the same time, as if that's even going to be possible again to this fervent boiling temp after he's retired

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#543 Post by lacritfan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:34 pm

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#544 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 am

Brutally Honest Oscar Voter wrote:[A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood's] Tom Hanks is very good at imitating Mr. Rogers, but if you look in his eyes when he talks to the lead guy [Matthew Rhys], his eyes are not soft and loving; his eyes are calculating and judging. Mr. Rogers' eyes were warm. I really noticed that.
Say what you will about the rest of what she says, this is probably the most astute thing I'll read this entire Oscar season.

therewillbeblus

#545 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 am

lacritfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:34 pm
Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot
I want an American director to win. The Oscars is an American thing; English things win BAFTAs and the French vote for the French, and Quentin Tarantino should be honored for a great American movie.
Oof, between that comment and the faux-attempt to explain a ScarJo nom I don’t know what’s worse.

aox

#546 Post by aox » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 am

Brian C wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 am
Brutally Honest Oscar Voter wrote:[A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood's] Tom Hanks is very good at imitating Mr. Rogers, but if you look in his eyes when he talks to the lead guy [Matthew Rhys], his eyes are not soft and loving; his eyes are calculating and judging. Mr. Rogers' eyes were warm. I really noticed that.
Say what you will about the rest of what she says, this is probably the most astute thing I'll read this entire Oscar season.
Completely agree. I didn’t love that film or Hanks’ performance, but regarding the latter I felt Hanks was creepy as hell in his portrayal.

The Narrator Returns

#547 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 am

I think Hanks' undercurrent of menace is what makes the movie as good as it is. It could just be some bland slop about Mr. Rogers being a swell guy but there's always the sense that there's something going on with this guy that you're not sure you want to be privy to (most adeptly conveyed in the final shot).

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#548 Post by barryconvex » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 am
I think this is his last shot for BP/Director but due to his own self-imposed constraints and statements. This film was his thesis film and cumulative work, and he’s been pretty open about his last film being a bookend, a smaller film, and possibly a horror. With Tarantino you never know but I think he knows as well as everyone that this is his magnum opus and ultimate love letter to cinema, and if he wins any of those top prizes it’ll be here- unless of course it’s a Peter Jackson LOTR thing or he winds up with another one of these expansive complex masterpieces up his sleeve. I think he’ll get a third screenplay too here, and don’t see how any previous wins count against him, only for him. Iñárritu took director two years in a row recently!
Three combined wins in the screenwriting, directing or best picture categories puts a person in with the elite of the elite and three wins for OG screenplay alone is Woody Allen territory. I'm not sure the academy thinks as highly of Tarantino. Your points are well taken though and I hope he wins everything he's nominated for.

colinr0380

#549 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:13 am

I'm mostly worried about the twist in Nefta Football Club that apparently involves "a donkey and some headphones"! Also the Tom Hanks in A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood comment reminds me of the nightmarish CGI that captured everything but the emotion in The Polar Express (by far the scariest film of the new millennium so far, though I have no plans to see Cats yet) - it cannot be that bad surely, or hopefully as The Narrator Returns suggests, maybe intentional to have that feeling just beneath the surface?

knives

#550 Post by knives » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:05 am

Nefta Football Club is actually fairly okay. I'd recommend a watch. Also, Narrator, you have just killed my interest in that movie.