Current Events: The Firing of James Gunn

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Harvey Weinstein & Other Hollywood Abuse Accusations

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm

According to the linked article, he already has. Aren't those Guardians movies like 100% him? How are they going to do a third without him?

EDIT: Also, unless I'm missing some major context, those tweets in question are legit awful

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Yup, fired.

Don't give a shit about Gunn or his films but this was orchestrated by truly terrible alt-right guys cruelly and cynically and they've ruined someone's career overnight. In case you ever think Disney or any other giant monolithic company cares about creative people's right to free speech, think again.

EDIT, just saw Domino's post:. The article must have been updated since I linked it.

And I'm with you (mostly because they aren't funny) but jokes are jokes. Personal conduct is personal conduct. It's ridiculous to equate the two, as the people who "uncovered" this stuff have.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:04 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm
"This is who Disney kowtowed to in firing Gunn." [NSFL]
Well, thanks for ruining my day. No one should read this. Trust me, I want to go back in time and stop myself.

McCrutchy

#6 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:13 pm

We really need to have a conversation as a society about exactly what is and what isn't okay to say, because I'll be honest, this is the second time in as many days I've felt that someone was wrongly fired for verbal misconduct.

The first was yesterday, when Amy Powell was fired from Paramount Television for "concerns around comments made...in a professional setting, which [Viacom believes] were inconsistent with our company’s values". And it's really irking me that they won't even reveal exactly what was said. Supposedly, she was to be reprimanded, but was fired when she strongly denied the comments--another aspect that doesn't sit well with me.

I feel like if Viacom/Paramount are going to publicly fire an executive for "comments", they need to reveal what those comments were. When Roseanne Barr was fired by ABC, we saw why, and when John Schnatter was forced out by Papa John's Pizza, we were told about his use of the N-word on top of knowing about his recent history of unflattering behavior. Those firings made sense, but Powell's firing thus far cannot be reconciled, and it makes the situation very uncomfortable.

Now, we have this James Gunn thing today, and look, I'm no fan of his movies, because I think they tend to be forgettable and overly juvenile, but looking at some of the tweets, it's pretty clear they are likely in jest. However, even if they weren't, I'm still not in support of firing people over their use of language, especially in a "first offense" type situation. Destroying years or hard work, possibly over as little as a single verbal indiscretion, which could, of course, take less than a second, is simply not okay with me, and we need to find some other solution to this issue other than simply knee-jerk termination and public shaming.

knives

#7 Post by knives » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Not to mention how these tweets are nearly a decade old and from before he got this job.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#8 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
Well, thanks for ruining my day. No one should read this. Trust me, I want to go back in time and stop myself.
I read the first two sentences and stopped but really should have stopped at the first.

Big Ben

#9 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Y'all have never heard of Mike Cernovich? This man IS a rapist. He raped a girl and then hired a private investigator to harass her into saying it was battery. He's on tape saying it's rape. Site and Youtube links is NSFW and is dumb as shit. This site has documented all his various beliefs and actions. Disney REALLY fucked up here. I thought this was a bunch of random alt right chuds. But Cernovich? No god damn way Gunn should take this from this clown.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#10 Post by Brian C » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:In case you ever think Disney or any other giant monolithic company cares about creative people's right to free speech, think again.
Not really something normally associated with Disney anyway m, but yes, point taken.

Anyway, I’m a little surprised. Gunn’s tweets aren’t really THAT bad. They’re juvenile and thoughtless in the way that self-impressed provocateurs tend to be, but even by that standard I feel it takes some effort to avoid worse. Feels like a pretext for something Disney was considering anyway.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Sounds like a pretty crummy way of retroactively trying to explain this away, if they were thinking of firing him maybe don't do it the moment this comes up?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#12 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Was there a reason to want to fire him? My understanding is he was the main force behind the Guardians films and they were both big hits (when no one thought the first would do all that well).

Brian C

#13 Post by Brian C » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Who knows, that’s probably not what happened, it just would make sense as to why they pulled the trigger so fast.

Could be anything. Maybe budget’s starting to climb in the next one and he wouldn’t rein it in. Maybe GotG was getting too aureurist within the Marvel culture. Maybe he forgot Feige’s birthday. Could be anything. Or nothing. It’s just weird, that’s all.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Or maybe we do in fact live in a world now where you can lose your job/reputation entirely over something like this, particularly if you're in the public eye and one group or another plays the moral outrage card. If only that were the worst thing happening right now

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:37 am

Brian C wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm
Who knows, that’s probably not what happened, it just would make sense as to why they pulled the trigger so fast.

Could be anything. Maybe budget’s starting to climb in the next one and he wouldn’t rein it in. Maybe GotG was getting too aureurist within the Marvel culture. Maybe he forgot Feige’s birthday. Could be anything. Or nothing. It’s just weird, that’s all.
Not sure why you seem so fixated on trying to provide an alternate reason for this.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#16 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 am

This seemed to have happened EXTREMELY quickly, and considering he already apologized for it (multiple times ?) and who retrieved these tweets back, I understand people might think it hasn't taken so little time for no other reason.

This really seems like a crazy situation though. Gunn's tweets are awfully poorly tasted, but the guy who retrieved them seems even more awful.

hearthesilence

#17 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:22 pm
domino harvey wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
I read the first two sentences and stopped but really should have stopped at the first.
Thanks for taking one for the board. I would have clicked on that otherwise.

Big Ben

#18 Post by Big Ben » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 am

tenia wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 am
This seemed to have happened EXTREMELY quickly, and considering he already apologized for it (multiple times ?) and who retrieved these tweets back, I understand people might think it hasn't taken so little time for no other reason.

This really seems like a crazy situation though. Gunn's tweets are awfully poorly tasted, but the guy who retrieved them seems even more awful.
Empowering Cernovich is probably the worst thing you can do. He has on more than one occasion directed harassment against users by using his followers. And surprise! Twitter won't do anything because Jack a Twitter founder follows him on Twitter!

Brian C

#19 Post by Brian C » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:37 am
Brian C wrote:

Not sure why you seem so fixated on trying to provide an alternate reason for this.
Yes, I'm so fixated that I put two disclaimers in the post you quoted that there probably wasn't anything else. You can practically taste the fixation!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Damn, the ol' "I know you are but what am I?" defense. I have whiplash from how badly I've been outsmarted by someone literally pretending he didn't post something that he posted. Bravo.

Brian C

#21 Post by Brian C » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm
Damn, the ol' "I know you are but what am I?" defense. I have whiplash from how badly I've been outsmarted by someone literally pretending he didn't post something that he posted. Bravo.
Oh, for Christ's sake.

I have no idea why you have a bee in your bonnet over this, but here you go, I'll bold and underline the relevant parts since you've apparently somehow missed them twice now:
Brian C wrote:

On top of which, I thought the bit about missing Feige's birthday was a pretty clear sign that I wasn't taking this scenario entirely seriously. But it didn't matter, you decided you had to get up on your high horse over literally nothing, and then for some inexplicable reason double down when called out on it.

I don't get it, but whatever else you have to say, have at it. I'm done with this particular nonsense of yours.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 am

He's going after Michael Ian Black for... posting about pizza

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Good thing he doesn't work for Disney, I guess!

McCrutchy

#24 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Or Papa John's...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Could this spell disaster for Pets.com ??!