Peter Sallis (1921-2017)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Ribs

Peter Sallis (1921-2017)

#1 Post by Ribs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:21 pm

colinr0380

Re: Passages

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23 pm

I think we can safely say there will be no more Wallace & Gromit then with the primary voice actor now gone, but what a perfect series of animated films they were! (And while I prefer the pacier shorts to the Were-Rabbit feature, it was still wonderful to see it get a feature film)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I think we can safely say there will be no more Wallace & Gromit then with the primary voice actor now gone, but what a perfect series of animated films they were! (And while I prefer the pacier shorts to the Were-Rabbit feature, it was still wonderful to see it get a feature film)
In fact some years back Aardman got Peter Sallis to record an audio stockpile of thousands of words with different inflections to be able to create the ability for a posthumous performance.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

That's great news! Although are we sure it was for those reasons or actually in order to create a robotic clone of Peter Sallis to endlessly wander about West Yorkshire in a terrifying cross between The Stepford Wives and Last of the Summer Wine?
robotic Peter Sallis wrote:"I simply must get in that bathtub and roll down that hill!"

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#5 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

colinr0380 wrote:That's great news! Although are we sure it was for those reasons or actually in order to create a robotic clone of Peter Sallis to endlessly wander about West Yorkshire in a terrifying cross between The Stepford Wives and Last of the Summer Wine?
robotic Peter Sallis wrote:"I simply must get in that bathtub and roll down that hill!"
It was in mutual recognition of his increasing fragility and embraced with his inevitable good humour.

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Just so long as they have a hundred variations on "Wensleydale!", it'll all be fine!

PfR73

#7 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:44 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:In fact some years back Aardman got Peter Sallis to record an audio stockpile of thousands of words with different inflections to be able to create the ability for a posthumous performance.
Similarly, I've had the thought before that the voice actors from The Simpsons have recorded so many episodes containing so many words that the recordings could probably be cut together to create new episodes ad infinitum (eventually evolving into The Sampsans, as predicted by Don Hertzfeldt).

JSC

Re: Peter Sallis (1921-2017)

#8 Post by JSC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Just to bring up some non-Wallace and Gromit related work, I remember Peter
Sallis doing a good turn in Rumpole of the Bailey as a man who murdered his
wife but ended up boring everybody in court with his long-winded explanations
about everything but the murder. He also had an offbeat role in the UK series
'Public Eye' where he played a man who is being investigated by an inquiry
agent and discovered to have been living for years with three different wives
in three different cities