The Mike D'Angelo Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: The Mike D'Angelo Thread

#76 Post by knives » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:10 pm

That makes this thread even sadder.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Jeff wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:Wow, I didn't realize he had earned his own thread. Just him, Armond White and Jeffrey Wells, correct? Fine company.
I miss Carney's Mail Bag so much. Would legit pay for his web hosting just to enjoy getting pissed off at all of his new nonsense

oh yeah

#78 Post by oh yeah » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Does Carney use his Mail Bag to hide all of Mark Rappaport's films now?

oh yeah

#79 Post by oh yeah » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 pm

zedz wrote:
oh yeah wrote:I also can't stand these critics or reviewers who have such impossibly high standards that they only award 5 or 10 films (out of 1,000+) a perfect score.
I've yet to see a perfect film, but I find this habit of grading / scoring the art you consume completely alien anyway, let alone something so important that you should worry about how other people do it.
For me it's just kind of a mindless OCD tic; I acknowledge it's a bit silly and rather meaningless but I still rate most films I see. That said, I can't stand when rating gets turned into a kind of full-time hobby and/or replacement for any actual discussion about films, as on every IMDb board ever.

Anyway, it's not so much the fact that D'Angelo only has given a handful of films perfect scores as it is that, for instance, the 100th-best film he's seen (out of probably thousands) only gets an 87/100... I just find this kind of extremely disciplined, high-standard approach to rating/evaluating films strange. Often times these people kind of bask in their strict little rubrics, too, and it becomes a weird and constraining obsession of its own. Constantly thinking of what one might rate a film while watching it must be awfully distracting and annoying yet I'd bet it's a sensation very familiar to many younger critics.

TMDaines

#80 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am

This is going to be a self-indulgent post but at least it is on the topic of conversation here.

Here's my ratings distribution curve on IMDb for the 1766 films or TV shows that I have watched in recent years since developing an interest in cinema - I really didn't watch much films growing up. I never saw the appeal until I started watching stuff like Die Ehe der Maria Braun and Ladri di biciclette that was on my recommended reading list for German and Italian at university.

I actually grade more granular than IMDb allows and go from DUD to ***** in 1/4* increments, which is the Meltzer system that many use for rating professional wrestling matches! To transpose to IMDb, I just round down to the nearest half star. ***** > 10, ****1/2 > 9 etc.

My scale would be roughly as follows:

***** - Perfection (13 films)
****3/4 - Almost Perfect (25 films)
****1/2 - Masterpiece (137 films)
**** - Great
***1/2 - Good
*** - Decent
**1/2 - Fair
** - Mediocre
* - Bad
DUD - Atrocious (8 films)

I don't think it is that odd to only have a very few select films be worthy of your highest praise, whether that is quantified or not.

My ratings are never going to be representative of cinema as a whole, because the majority of what I watch is well review or of interest. I'm not a professional review having to trawl through all the chaff, so there's good chance that I will deem what I watch to be good.

Daneurism

#81 Post by Daneurism » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Also a Mike D'Angelo fan and while I can't deny that some of the pull quotes in this thread are ridiculous, I'm still surprised at the hate. Criterion Forum and Mike's letterbox are two places I go to when I want honest criticism rather than cheerleading.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#82 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#83 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:06 pm

It's not the scores he gives but the substance of so many of his comments that I find problematic.

jojo

#84 Post by jojo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:54 pm

I just find D'Angelo's style rather boring, sort of like any other smart-aleck "I'm too good for this" online film blogger. In comparison, Armond White is at least occasionally entertaining and his florid, ranty run-on sentences are... unique.

hearthesilence

#86 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Seems fitting that the coda to Layla was playing on my computer as I read the opening paragraphs of that column.

dda1996a

#87 Post by dda1996a » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Did he specify anywhere why he is ending it? Other than fatigue?

Reverend Drewcifer

#88 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 pm

D'Angelo has some extremely specific sore spots that arise when he engages with comment boards. He apparently went to film school with Harmony Korine, and gets his hackles up whenever anyone praises his former classmate. He also has hinted that he has an inside track with Rian Johnson, and takes credit for some unspecified changes to the Looper screenplay. Knowing Johnson's gf Karina Longworth and her distaste for bullshit artists, I wouldn't be surprised if D'Angelo is no longer in Johnson's orbit. Of course, that doesn't negate the possibility that he'll claim to have written all of Chewbacca's lines in The Last Jedi.

hearthesilence

#89 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeesh, isn't D'Angelo deep in his 30's? He sounds remarkably immature.

Reverend Drewcifer

#90 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am

The Dissolve made sure to include bylines on its main page, so you knew which critic was behind each link. This made avoiding D'Angelo exceedingly easy. However, the AV Club is designed so that every click is a game of potentially unpleasant roulette. Will I get Iggy and his movie-drunk playfulness, Alex Dowd and middle-of-the-road journeyman analysis? Nope. When D'Angelo's name appears I get the hell out of there. Fast.

Perkins Cobb

#91 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm

dda1996a wrote:Did he specify anywhere why he is ending it? Other than fatigue?
AVC has cut back substantially on freelance assignments in recent weeks, so it may not have been his idea.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#92 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Reverend Drewcifer wrote:He apparently went to film school with Harmony Korine, and gets his hackles up whenever anyone praises his former classmate.
That isn't the first time I've heard of this re: former Korine classmates, though (I wish I had a link to wherever that is, but this sadly is relegated to being just anecdotal). Apparently he was exactly the grating enfant terrible provocateur that you'd expect him to have been.

Dead or Deader

#93 Post by Dead or Deader » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
AVC has cut back substantially on freelance assignments in recent weeks, so it may not have been his idea.
The pop culture site cutting back on the essential ingredients as film and music, making room for hard-hitting journalism as Donald Trump steak habits and videos that the internet is all craving!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#94 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:
The pop culture site cutting back on the essential ingredients as film and music, making room for hard-hitting journalism as Donald Trump steak habits and videos that the internet is all craving!
Don't forget nonstop nostalgia features about pop culture from 20 years ago, most of it about material initially aimed at small children

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#95 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm

What kind of a loser posts about nostalgia on the internet

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#96 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:50 pm

It's one thing to post about it, it's another to dedicate so much of a space that posits to be about current-era popular culture to it. It'd be one thing if there were a consistent effort to brand The AV Club that way, but as Dead or Deader pointed out, it's a total jumble right now.

I did like that Double Dare oral history, though. I am only human.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#97 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#98 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 pm

I hate his response and the unfunny meme and outrage reactions of Twitter to it. Thanks the Internet!

furbicide

#99 Post by furbicide » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm

This shit is why no one fucking likes cinephiles.
Steady on there, old chap. Must we all be damned for the sins of Mike?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#100 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 pm

That's something you can surely take with a heavy dose of context. Cinephiles come in all shapes and sizes and levels of pretentiousness.