Tony Scott (1944-2012)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
warren oates

Re: Tony Scott 1944-2012

#51 Post by warren oates » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm

You beat me to it, fly. I second the recommendation on this. It speaks to everything I've been saying in the thread above. Nobody who ever spent time working with Tony Scott had an unkind word to say about him. And most came to love him just as much as Kevin Corrigan, even if they, like he, only had a few days/weeks together with 20 years in between. The comments are worth reading too, as several people who know Tony have posted remembrances there as well.

Niale

#52 Post by Niale » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 am

"Im gona need a beer to put out these flames"
-Top Gun
(I wipe a tear every time I hear that)

flyonthewall2983

#53 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm

It's been one year ago to the day since his death. I watched The Hunger for the first time last week. Clearly a flawed film, but it showed promise of talent that was to come.

therewillbeblus

Re: Tony Scott (1944-2012)

#55 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:42 am

I'm not a big Tony Scott fan, so I avoided Domino like the plague for almost two decades because it looked like a compound of his most irritating qualities. I don't necessarily think I was wrong, since the freewheeling visual phantasmagoria is completely unhinged here like I've never seen before, but it's also so incredibly appropriate for a Richard Kelly script formulated around over a decades-worth of stories told by Domino Harvey and then interpreted, embellished, reimagined secondhand, and likely retold firsthand under different states of mind. It's like a game of Telephone that evolves into dust, until all Truth has eroded and we're left with a tangle of skewed narratives sewn from layered aims by an array of people whose version of events, motives, and the mood these are filtered through depended entirely on their impermanent perspective. It's because the film knows this is the case that it earns all the slack in the world by leaning into that absurdity, inverting the effect of some of the self-serious manipulations of this style in other Scott films. The filmmakers understand that this variable of subjectivity is destined to destroy any semblance of not just reliability but coherence, except in a refined and neutered studio-safe product. I have a lot of admiration for Scott and co. choosing the option of novel pulpy trash that forsakes accuracy for entertainment, emulating the fun of these stories and the 'throwing-my-hands-up' attitude of trying to adapt a biopic from tales told by an equally-unhinged wild principal, mythologized by observers and reinforced by her adrenaline junkie lifestyle of pure chaos. Even more respect is earned by refusing to trim the stories or tone or perception to focus on one felt in the 'current', or picking the most exciting version told across ten+ years; but veneering it all together because why not go full-tilt into chaos via the chaos of narrative flux? Anyways, I think this may just be Scott's masterpiece

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Tony Scott (1944-2012)

#56 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:57 am

Scout Tafoya did a long video essay series on the Scott brothers recently that gets into a lot of what twbb is touching on above