Merrily We Roll Along (Richard Linklater, 2040)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Merrily We Roll Along (Richard Linklater, 2040)

#26 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:Look, you all can love Linklater with all your heart and be excited for this film and still recognize he’s returning to the very specific and unusual well that brought him the most media attention / awards recognition precisely because it was a then-novel approach.
It just seems a strangely late comment to make.

Waking Life reproduced Slacker's kaleidoscope.
Before Midnight reproduced the 7 years gap/follow-up from Before Sunrise/Sunset.
Everybody Wants Some!! reproduced the 1-day "period" choral reproduction from Dazed & Confused.

All of those share time or passing of time that seems to be some kind of obsession for Linklater.

I don't see that more of a sad return than Spielberg having for the humpteenth a missing father figure or Malick returning to the loose style inaugurated in The New World.

This aside, I'd also argue that media's reduction of Boyhood to its special shooting method is mostly the media's own fault. There was a lot to say about the movie in a more usual way, but most chose anyway to solely talk about the movie through the prism of its shooting method, which I found unfortunate at the time (and still do).

zedz

Re: Merrily We Roll Along (Richard Linklater, 2040)

#27 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:53 am
Filming continuations following the same characters and releasing them as they’re individually shot is not the same thing, unless we’re ready to call the Ernest films a similarly multi-year epic
Linklater also shot Tape in real time which I guess could also be considered a gimmick. Does that mean hes never allowed to do that againl without being written off?

Edit: also if you've ever listened to him talk about doing the later films in the Before Trilogy his interests were very much the same.
It was an asinine gotcha comment with no real thought behind it. Linklater’s primary concern as a filmmaker since the outset has been capturing ‘real time’. It would be startling if he suddenly stopped doing so thirty (or fifty) years into his career.