Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams, 2019)

#251 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 pm

A recounting of Colin Trevorrow's version of episode 9, entitled "Duel Of The Fates," has leaked to Reddit and subsequently been verified as real by the AV Club.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#252 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

I suppose the one thing we can't account for is what Trevorrow's unfortunate direction would have done to the film, though

movielocke

#253 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Without reading the link. my reaction is, "oh shit, Duel of the Fates is such a good star wars episode title for the finale."

What A Disgrace

#254 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm

It doesn't sound like a thematically relevant follow up to The Last Jedi, but it doesn't sound like a bust either. We got the bust.

RIP Film

#255 Post by RIP Film » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Sounds better, though Jurrassic World is one of the worst movies I’ve ever had to endure in a theater. I think the best option would have been the rumored George Lucas collab where the villain wasn’t Palpatine. After all the dust has settled, I thought Rise was an OK movie, but what really sticks with me are questions like: How did Palpatine survive being thrown down an endless cooridor, then exploding in a deathstar. That’s like some looney tunes shit.

And how did The First Order and Final Order, have seemingly endless resources? We saw how the original empire gained traction and rose to prominence in the galaxy, and at the height of their power, built the moon sized deathstar. The first order by comparison, comes out of nowhere and builds a planet sized deathstar, and final order, again comes from nowhere and builds a 1000 mini-death stars. The writing is high school level. These questions are my takeaway from the trilogy, because the suspension of disbelief was just never there. For a billion-dollar franchise, it’s hard to believe they just hot-potatoed this thing between directors.

Roger Ryan

#256 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:39 pm

RIP Film wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm
...I think the best option would have been the rumored George Lucas collab where the villain wasn’t Palpatine...
If these leaks can be trusted, the "George Lucas collaboration" option was the version Abrams actually began shooting before the Disney marketing department got nervous about having a largely unknown villain, resulting in script rewrites and re-shooting to shoehorn Palpatine in.

Reverend Drewcifer

#257 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm

The leak originated from Free Enterprise director Robert Meyer Burnett, an old buddy of Mark A. Altman, who wrote The Fifty-Year Mission, the two-volume unauthorized oral history of Star Trek, and the upcoming Nobody Does it Better: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of James Bond. My conspiracy-averse frontal lobe rejects Glenn-Beckian white-board intrigue, but my lizard brain craves a multi-volume oral history from Altman if J.W. Rinzler has washed his hands of SW.

Finch

#258 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am

THR says Taika Waititi is "being courted" for a new Star Wars film. Now, who knows what he's being asked to consider exactly and whether he'll end up directing, but Lord and Miller got fired from Solo for the kind of irreverent tone that Waititi trades in, so.... On the other hand, he did direct episodes of The Mandalorian.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#259 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 am

Naw, Lord & Miller are way more irreverent. Waititi fit right into the Marvel mold, which...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#260 Post by swo17 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:13 am

I watched this at home with my kids and so was able to mostly enjoy it without thinking though I'm surprised no one here seems to have mentioned this stupid stupid plot twist:
SpoilerShow
We only met two people to become invested in on that planet that later got blown up, presumably so that we would be cued to feel bad when the planet was blown up, which is something we would not otherwise feel. But then in the final battle they just show up, Poe is like "oh great, you made it," and they're just like, "yeah," only to never be seen or heard from again. Very manipulative, and I'll never get back that chance to feel apathetic about the entire populated planet exploding to smithereens.

I will say this though: that Babu Frik character is maybe the only alien in this new trilogy that actually feels organic to the film as opposed to yet another exercise in CGI creativity

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#261 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am

I can understand someone walking out of this early, as the first act of this movie made me fear the worst. Beyond all the pandering and ludicrously reverent fan service of the opening thirty minutes or so, the real annoyance was the film's incessant quip style. Every "funny" moment in this film follows the same pattern: character one says something --> character two negates it in words or actions. Wash, rinse, repeat. THAT SAID, I am kind of shocked that the movie pulled itself out of the tailspin as it went along. I imagine any last minute reshoots couldn't afford to touch the big action set pieces, and that's what the last 2/3 is pretty much built upon. I thought the Interstellar ocean wave world battle was an interesting concept, though everyone flying around like superheroes just reminds me how much I don't care about superheroes. But the finale was refreshingly weird and creepy, even if I don't even begin to understand this cinematic world's relationship with the undead (and I do not want to watch a seven hour YouTube video explaining it, thanks in advance for not posting one in response to my rhetorical comment). I read the Reddit summary above of the original vision for the film and from what I can piece together (it's... very confusing, isn't it? Then again, so is this film, so...) I don't think that would even remotely have been as narratively satisfying as this. If this indeed was a Frankenstein's Monster pieced together at the last minute, well, that editor deserves a medal as it sure does feel like 90% in line with what we've seen with the trilogy thus far (as mentioned already I'm sure, the "Anyone could be a Jedi" thread from the previous film is utterly abandoned, which is kind of too big a hole to not even address here, even in a really lame way via a line or two negating it like every other retcon presented)

As for swo's spoiler
SpoilerShow
I mean, yeah, it's cheap. But no different from any disaster movie where the handful of characters we've met make it and we're not supposed to think about all those we didn't who died. I didn't think the little droid body shop mechanic creature was very entertaining either, but I recognize that he's sort of pre-engineered to be crowd pleasing like BB8, so I'll take the L on being the grouch on that one.

For me the real surprise was I'd somehow made it all the way to tonite without someone spoiling Ford's appearance. I think his cranky, "I obviously don't give a shit about this franchise" sentiments made for a good real-world deflection to preserve the surprise at his cameo!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#262 Post by swo17 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:42 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am
SpoilerShow
I mean, yeah, it's cheap. But no different from any disaster movie where the handful of characters we've met make it and we're not supposed to think about all those we didn't who died.
SpoilerShow
But how many of those examples require someone to have had the foresight to RANDOMLY LEAVE THE PLANET THEY WERE ON? Or did I miss a line where she was with Poe and mentioned she was about to leave?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#263 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 03, 2020 1:48 am

SpoilerShow
She's a five minute walk-on trying to do the entire Karen Allen part in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I figured she'd factor in again in some way. My guess is we're supposed to assume she went after him to join up/rekindle, but then the little head nod thing at the end of the movie seems to suggest no romantic intentions, so who knows. I'm not defending it against claims of bad writing, but I didn't think it was surprising or egregiously memorable in practice. I was more taken with how, with the exception of her eyes for like fifteen seconds (which the film has already shown us could come from actual dead people), Keri Russell very well could have literally phoned this entire perf in

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#264 Post by swo17 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 am

SpoilerShow
She was maybe the most interesting addition to the Star Wars universe in the movie so perhaps I was just overly sensitive to what they did with her. It's probably no more egregious than the fake-out over Chewie being killed

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#265 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 03, 2020 1:56 am

SpoilerShow
I initially thought that Driver made Ridley and everyone else think she blew up the ship and that was part of his magic powers used to drive her to the Dark Side via guilt, which I think ended up being a better answer than “Whoops, wrong ship”

therewillbeblus

#266 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 03, 2020 1:56 am

I still think the protractor instrument's vague design as the skeleton key fitting over those commonly shaped mountains from the exact distance on the hill they happened to land on is the stupidest and laziest moment in any of the movies.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#267 Post by swo17 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 am

Obviously the force told her to use it there. And it looked cool so...

therewillbeblus

#268 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 03, 2020 2:17 am

I think regular protractors are way cooler-looking

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#269 Post by swo17 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 am

There's no reason it has to be a competition. Protractors in general are just cool, and Star Wars was wise to get in on that action

therewillbeblus

#270 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 am

We can agree on protractors in general being cool

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#271 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 03, 2020 3:02 am

They only became cool when Daisy Ridley held one

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#272 Post by tenia » Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 am

swo17 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 am
SpoilerShow
She was maybe the most interesting addition to the Star Wars universe in the movie so perhaps I was just overly sensitive to what they did with her. It's probably no more egregious than the fake-out over Chewie being killed
SpoilerShow
It's a shame she's not very useful in the end, except serving to fleshen a bit Poe's sentimental relationship and past since Finn's pretty much dead in this regard in Ep 9. I liked her character though, but couldn't help feeling it was another case of random stuff the trilogy was sending at us.
- Uh, so, we kinda trashed Poe and Rose away, and Rey is having a weird relationship with Kylo, so we'd need something a tad more simple to fill in the movie. Oh, I know : Poe's backstory and sentimental elements ! Why did we never flesh out this before ?
- Well, it was supposed to be coming from Rey, but then, we switched to Finn, and now, we switched again so... here you go, I guess !

Nasir007

#273 Post by Nasir007 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:22 am

I just think they should have filmed Travorrow’s script. Not to put too fine a point on it but seeing the story elements and the concept art, that would have been a rousing and worthy finale and been a better film and done more business. It’s like a masterpiece compared to what we got. I would flag that ep9 as one of the great missed opportunities of modern blockbuster cinema.