Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Nasir007

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

#151 Post by Nasir007 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 pm

I think the French model is interesting. They basically count admissions. Period. That atleast offers a semblance of apples to apples.

I agree comparing dollar gross across generations is futile.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#152 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:22 am

This is indeed way more practical, though of course, there are still some variables to take into account. For instance, there's the question of the % of the overall population : older movies were selling tickets on a much smaller population, so a big score was more impressive than today. But even more important is the question of the re-releases : newer movies are making their scores usually on 1 theatrical runs, while movies had re-releases spanning at times over several decades; the final score isn't thus really reflecting the initial appeal of the movie. For instance, The Ten Commendments originally only sold 6.4m tickets (and that was already over a 2-years theatrical run), and the remaining 7.8m tickets were sold during re-releases.

willoneill

#153 Post by willoneill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 pm

There's also the aspect of incomparable cultural environments. When Gone With The Wind sold all of its (original run) tickets, there was no television, home video, streaming, etc., cinema had a much more exclusive grasp on everyday folks' entertainment dollars.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#154 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 am

It's a point I originally mentioned, but considering how these movies made their BO results through many MANY later re-releases, I chose not to mention it, since these final cumulative successful figures aren't representative of this time technical availabilites (eg The Ten Commendments).

hanshotfirst1138

#155 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 pm

This was fun, but I really think making a superhero movie as long as The Godfather was excessive. In spite of its length, Infinity War felt better-laced and it juggled a lot more characters. And I am just getting bored to death with superhero movies ending with two CGI blobs punching each other. I miss the days when directors like Bryan Singer and Sam Raimi put some craft into their action scenes. All that aside, there was lots of fun to be had as the big culmination of 11 years work, but in a comic book universe where pretty much nothing ever sticks, it’s hard to feel much sadness at the fates of characters.

bearcuborg

#156 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 pm

So I haven’t seen this, and I doubt I will unless someone I date forces me to, but while I agree with you on Singer’s great execution of the genre in X-Men, Raimi’s Spiderman movies are awful. I’ll take Darkman over any of his Spiderman films. Though I love hearing JK Simmons was recast as J Jonah in the new Spiderman films.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#157 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:57 am

Singer's great execution ? The first movie is OK-ish, the second one very good, but this result doesn't owe much to his skills as a director, with Days of Future Past and Apocalypse proofs of that.
Raimi's Spidermans aren't flawless, but the first two are way better and thrilling as a whole, and plastically a step above anything Singer ever did there.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#158 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 am

bearcuborg wrote:Though I love hearing JK Simmons was recast as J Jonah in the new Spiderman films.
Omg, he was? My wanting to take my son to see the new one just went up exponentially!

The third Raimi film is a shit show of a movie, and the first never goes anywhere, but the second is one of my favourite superhero movies. Spider-Man was the one super hero I actually liked growing up (though started having interest in Batman after the Burton film) and I thought that film captured what I liked about him and I always felt that was what a comic book movie should be.

Kirkinson

#159 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 am
bearcuborg wrote:Though I love hearing JK Simmons was recast as J Jonah in the new Spiderman films.
Omg, he was? My wanting to take my son to see the new one just went up exponentially!
It's just a
SpoilerShow
mid-credits scene
cameo, so don't get your hopes up too high!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#160 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Well shit

bearcuborg

#161 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:03 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 am

The third Raimi film is a shit show of a movie, and the first never goes anywhere, but the second is one of my favourite superhero movies. Spider-Man was the one super hero I actually liked growing up (though started having interest in Batman after the Burton film) and I thought that film captured what I liked about him and I always felt that was what a comic book movie should be.
I actually liked the Peter Parker stuff a lot more than the Spiderman stuff. The Green Goblin stuff was Schumacher level bad. Though, you’re right-the 2nd one had some moments, Alfred Molina was wonderful. Hell, I’d even take him back in that role.