A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
TMDaines

Re: A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2018)

#126 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 am

Fiery Angel wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Yikes, sitting through the draggy original for 135 minutes was enough of a chore. I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't know about this so I won't be subjected to even more of it.
Cut the third act and everybody will be happy!

Fiery Angel

#127 Post by Fiery Angel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:44 am

It was lousy long before the third act.

Persona

#128 Post by Persona » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm

finally watched this. more like A STAR IS BORING.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#129 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Persona wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm
finally watched this. more like A STAR IS BORING.
Hey, we wouldn't come close to accepting this post from a new user, and the same rules apply to them as apply to you as an established user. Notice that other users don't do much if any of this, and attempt to expand on your thoughts in the future. Thanks!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#130 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Not to mention, calling something "boring" always says more about you (i.e. that you chose not to engage with it) than it does about the thing

Persona

#132 Post by Persona » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Fair, it was a bad pun, anyways.

I really tried to engage with it. I even thought I would somewhat like it. I just thought it was too lax structurally for the type of sentiment and "feels" it was trying to play on and I found the editing almost haphazard half the time.

But "Shallow" is a good song and stuck in my head and despite never feeling fully connected to the character, that last close-up of Jackson closing the garage door and then the wide shot that follows and then the one in the yard with the blue and red lights slowly appearing... yeah, Libatique and Cooper earned their pay there. Really the only part of the last act/last half of the movie that worked for me.

The supporting cast did a good job with nothing characters that are just kind of in there for the movie to have other characters.

thirtyframesasecond

#133 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Watched this earlier, thought bits were good, and bits less good. The film is really good in the meet-cute get together of Ally and Jackson. Then the rise of her pop career didn't seem very well done. She's obviously a talented singer-songwriter, but her styling as some kind of dance-pop singer (was the song called 'ass on that'?) seemed unlikely. Her 'coming on stage' at Jackson's gig has loads of YT views apparently - surely her authenticity would've been her selling point? The film is either the most narcissistic or the least narcissistic for an actor-director. Jackson is so unlikeable, he's a drain on everyone, but his music/image is presented as real (the music is OK but is the snobbery that warranted?). And
SpoilerShow
Jackson's suicide is probably the ultimate demonstration of this
. Overall, pretty good but if it had kept the quality of the first half up and written their rise/falls better, I'd have considered it a better one. Gaga is good though, no mistaking. And Cooper gets a nice support cast together.