The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Post Reply
Message
Author

User avatar
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#227 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 pm

No, it's coming to the Landmarks here in DC before it hits Netflix, just like Roma did

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#228 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm

It’s coming to the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston too, though apparently not the Kendall Sq Landmark, which is different than last year. I imagine it’ll either have the same or a wider release than Roma did when all is said and done.

User avatar
ianthemovie
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#229 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 pm

therewillbeblus: Somerville Theater's website says they'll be showing it starting 11/22. It's also possible that it will come to Kendall Square and they just haven't listed it on their website yet, since that happens all the time.

User avatar
bearcuborg
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Philadelphia via Chicago

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#230 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am

Man, I forgot about The Paris, I loved that part of the city/theater. Looking forward to this...

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#231 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am

That’s good to hear about Somerville and further reinforcement that this film will see its way into more theaters.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#232 Post by knives » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:11 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
It’s coming to the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston too, though apparently not the Kendall Sq Landmark, which is different than last year. I imagine it’ll either have the same or a wider release than Roma did when all is said and done.
Do you know which space? I went to CC once only and the screen was practically at home size.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#233 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:11 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
It’s coming to the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston too, though apparently not the Kendall Sq Landmark, which is different than last year. I imagine it’ll either have the same or a wider release than Roma did when all is said and done.
Do you know which space? I went to CC once only and the screen was practically at home size.
It’s not up yet for ticket sales but when you get closer to the 15th, go to the website click on specific showtimes and it’ll say which theatre it’s playing in (which does change even on the same day depending on prime slot). Avoid the “Goldscreen” or “Screening Room” as those are the “home size” screens you’re referring to, though Moviehouses 1 and 2 are wonderful and I highly doubt The Irishman will play anywhere else, at least for a while. If you don’t wanna try to navigate the site, calling them is usually my go-to, as they’re all very friendly and will be able to tell you the screen size, capacity, etc. It really is a treasure of a theatre, but unfortunately has those two rooms that are godawful and crush the experience of going to the cinema if you’re unlucky enough to find your way there, as I have several times myself.

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#234 Post by Ribs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:19 pm

I’d also point out that Netflix is going to be doing a very active balancing act trying to keep all their movies on some screens in the major markets by moving them around week-to-week to where they haven’t played yet (which also gives the illusion of expansion). So it may well play on other screens sooner but it’s still too soon to tell (The Irishman’s opening on at least 3 in NY, possibly more than 5, which seems weird, but idk what that means for ancillary markets as Netflix has been very inconsistent about the theatrical date being phase 1 of a rollout vs when the movie is at its widest.)

User avatar
ianthemovie
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#235 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 pm
knives wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:11 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
It’s coming to the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston too, though apparently not the Kendall Sq Landmark, which is different than last year. I imagine it’ll either have the same or a wider release than Roma did when all is said and done.
Do you know which space? I went to CC once only and the screen was practically at home size.
It’s not up yet for ticket sales but when you get closer to the 15th, go to the website click on specific showtimes and it’ll say which theatre it’s playing in (which does change even on the same day depending on prime slot). Avoid the “Goldscreen” or “Screening Room” as those are the “home size” screens you’re referring to, though Moviehouses 1 and 2 are wonderful and I highly doubt The Irishman will play anywhere else, at least for a while. If you don’t wanna try to navigate the site, calling them is usually my go-to, as they’re all very friendly and will be able to tell you the screen size, capacity, etc. It really is a treasure of a theatre, but unfortunately has those two rooms that are godawful and crush the experience of going to the cinema if you’re unlucky enough to find your way there, as I have several times myself.
Yeah, there's no way the Coolidge would show The Irishman in anything but Moviehouses 1 or 2. I expect it will be in 1.

Kendall Square has also confirmed via a Facebook post from a week or so ago that they will be showing it starting 11/15.

User avatar
Clarence
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#236 Post by Clarence » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Netflix has launched a website where you can find theaters that will be screening this. The closest one to me is 4 hours away...and I'm honestly considering making the drive due to the reception this is getting.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#237 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Clarence wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:34 pm
Netflix has launched a website where you can find theaters that will be screening this. The closest one to me is 4 hours away...and I'm honestly considering making the drive based off of what people are saying about this.
I wouldn't bet on this being entirely accurate, as it only lists the Coolidge Corner theatre for the Boston area, and excludes the Landmark Kendall Sq and Somerville theatres that ianthemovie confirmed it's screening at in the conversation upthread. Perhaps the site will update as we get closer to the date, but I'd wait a bit before making plans for that four-hour drive!

User avatar
The Fanciful Norwegian
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Location: Teegeeack

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#238 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Also doesn't mention any showtimes in Austin even though there's seven Alamo Drafthouses here and they're one of the handful of chains that shows Netflix films (including, as I write this, Dolemite Is My Name).

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#239 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm

I believe the site only lists theaters for which there are showtimes available, so theaters that have confirmed they’ll be showing it but haven’t locked down screening times yet won’t appear until later.

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#240 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't think that's the case since the 2 theaters near me that have confirmed their showtimes aren't appearing on the site.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#241 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Maybe it only includes showtimes for theaters that had been around when Robert De Niro was a young man

User avatar
solaris72
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:03 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#242 Post by solaris72 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:49 pm

For those in the DMV area, it's not showing AFI Silver Spring on the movie's website, but the theater's calendar shows it running November 15 through at least November 28.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#243 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm

This website has theater dates

Al, Bob and Marty on CBS Sunday Morning

A bit ahead of myself here...but how awesome would it be if Criterion got to release this? It would feel like as much as possibility as Roma is, but maybe I'm just day-dreaming too.

User avatar
Oedipax
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:48 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#244 Post by Oedipax » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Still nothing for Atlanta. I assumed early on this would play at our Landmark, where many other Netflix titles have shown, but the announcement is either delayed or things are different with this film.

User avatar
Red Screamer
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 pm
Location: Tativille, IA

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#245 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

I doubt there's many of you nearby, but FilmScene in Iowa City is opening this on November 27.

MongooseCmr
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#246 Post by MongooseCmr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 pm

The only theater in Connecticut listed is a nice but kind of cheap place I’ve only been to once, it didn’t seem like a location to get an exclusive release like this. There must be more to come, or a very weird distribution plan here.

User avatar
Brian C
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#247 Post by Brian C » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Just be patient, folks. Still awhile before this actually opens, there will almost certainly be more theaters added.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#248 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm hopeful it shows somewhere in upper Indiana.

User avatar
FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#249 Post by FigrinDan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:47 am

For anyone in or around Massachusetts, Amherst Cinema has it opening Nov 22nd with showtimes TBA.
See you there!!!

User avatar
Clarence
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)

#250 Post by Clarence » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:45 am

In Florida, the Tampa Theatre will be showing this from 11/22 - 11/30!

Post Reply