400-419 Jean Rollin

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: 400-419 Jean Rollin

#126 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:19 pm

It will indeed be completely uncut - the BBFC issued the certificate this afternoon.

MichaelB

#127 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 pm

MichaelB

#128 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:33 am

Final specs for the latest Rollins.

The Nude Vampire:

The Demoniacs:

therewillbeblus

#129 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am

Making my way through these - I had previously enjoyed Fascination and still do. Rape of the Vampire was a little less consistent - though that's by design. The first section was a wonderful, near-experimental short film, but the bifurcated structure invites another hour that doesn't quite gel - either formally or tonally with the first. It's fine, but the style alone pares back as if Rollins needed to sober the lens to focus on the narrative, and that's just not what's interesting about his films.

The Night of the Hunted was a strange departure - a kind of sterile sci-fi slow-burn that recalled (very) early Cronenberg, Resnais, and late Antonioni(?!) It's probably the weakest link for me so far, but I appreciated what it was doing once I made the connections to that shocking dish of elliptical influences. It's a deliberately alienating and static movie to depict characters who are so out of touch with their identity and environment that they cease to understand their own characterization, mirroring our own lack of a throughline to connect to them. That doesn't necessarily make for a compelling experience, but it's an interesting approach.

therewillbeblus

#130 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm

My experience watching The Nude Vampire was little more than peering through a pair of Beer Goggles at the version of Eyes Wide Shut that its detractors see, and I was so relieved to take them off. Amateur prep work for The Night of the Hunted, whilst retaining a vampire edge, with the same distance from everyone and everything.. it's a shame Rollins forfeited his more intimate experimental-stylistic strengths in favor of a detached enigmatic atmosphere that has no reason to exist.

Man, this guy's all over the map for me, but I hope the current pattern of my Rollins Count/LB score of each subsequent film is pure coincidence, since it's a very linear and pessimistic graph

MichaelB

#131 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 11, 2024 4:06 am

I wasn't going to say anything before because I thought it was a one-off typo, but for the record Jean Rollin is no relation of Howard, Sonny or Henry Rollins - he's singular in a great many ways, including that pretty fundamental one.

therewillbeblus

#132 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 11, 2024 10:20 am

Well in that case, I’ll take back the opinions too