Czech DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
petoluk

#101 Post by petoluk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Skritek wrote:Here is an official list of the Slovak films of the 60s to be released this year. Strangely "Slnko v Sieti" isn't among them, it was supposed to be released also. It's only 9 films now, since there already came out a DVD with three documentaries on August 21.
Well, I'm certain it's going to be released, regardless of what that linked article says. The film is mentioned as being part of the collection in Slovak Film Institute's press release from August 14 (in Slovak). So I see no reason for it being pulled out at the very last moment...

BTW, Slnko v sieti will be on telly (Slovak TV) on October 5. I will be getting the DVD, but I'll record it too - to be on the safe side... :wink:

Cheers!
Peto

P.S. As soon as the DVDs start coming out, I'll be putting up reviews on dvdfreak.bloudil.cz...
P.P.S. Perkins Cobb's assumption is correct - according to the press release, SvS should be released on October 10.

Perkins Cobb

#102 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Glad there's still hope for Slnko v Sieti. I sought to clarify the fairly obvious subtitle situation just because the English subs have been yanked out from under us by some Czech labels recently, and I'm paranoid. Good thing Facets hasn't shown any interest in Slovak cinema.

Skritek

#103 Post by Skritek » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 am

According to zona, Slnko v Sieti is indeed scheduled for release on 17.10 :)

petoluk

#104 Post by petoluk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:29 am

Skritek wrote:According to zona, Slnko v Sieti is indeed scheduled for release on 17.10 :)
Well, Zona is not always right :wink: - the complete collection is now to be seen on SFI's site (once there, click on Slovenský film 60. rokov na DVD). You can see that Slnko v sieti is scheduled for October 10. Also, here you can find bigger thumbnails of the covers...

Cheers!
Peto

petoluk

#105 Post by petoluk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 am

Hi guys!

I was moving to a new flat, and didn't have time for anything else, but yesterday I finally managed to have a look at the 1st DVD from the 60's collection - Jánošík I-II. I'm still putting my comments together, but the short story is - the DVD uses practically the same transfer as the older Jánošík release = non-anamorphic widescreen, only the bitrate is a tad higher. I'm afraid SFI will use non-anamorphic transfers for all the widescreen films in the collection = Uher's Organ, Jakubisko's Kristove roky & Hanák's 322... :(

Cheers!
Peto

Skritek

#106 Post by Skritek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:59 am

That seems unfortunate, I was really looking forward to quality releases of these.

I wonder, could you comment on the film Janosik? Frankly it's one of the few I don't see myself buying; along with Slavnost (because I have it) and possibly Den nas kazdodenny.

petoluk

#107 Post by petoluk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 am

Skritek wrote:I wonder, could you comment on the film Janosik?
One of the tough ones... :wink: Me, being Slovak, and Janosik, being the Slovak national hero, I quite like the film. It's - by far - not in the same league as Slnko v sieti for example, but I think it stands quite well as historical films go. The story is quite moving, but I'm not sure it's completely accessible to foreigners. I'd say give it a try - the DVDs just 3 EUR, so if you don't like it, it wouldn't hurt that much... :wink:

Cheers!
Peto

petoluk

#108 Post by petoluk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:42 am

(02) Piesen o sivom holubovi / The Song of the Grey Pigeon...

(Might be good to rename this thread to Czech & Slovak DVDs - mods?)

Cheers! :wink:
Peto

petoluk

#109 Post by petoluk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 am

(03) Slnko v sieti / The Sun in a Net...

Peto

Morandi

#110 Post by Morandi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:40 pm

petoluk wrote:(03) Slnko v sieti / The Sun in a Net...
Peto
looks ravishing, a must buy IMHO!

Perkins Cobb

#111 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for the updates, Petoluk ... eagerly awaiting the completion of this run of releases.

jbeall

#112 Post by jbeall » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:01 pm

These films look excellent (and I must confess, other than The Shop on Main Street I haven't seen any Slovak films). For those of you here in the US, can anyone recommend a good site to order these dvds?

Skritek

#113 Post by Skritek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Here or here - this time I've ordered the films from the second website, 'cause it's cheaper for me. Otherwise DVDBest was good fast, however they keep sending lots and lots of advertisement emails. They are also probably the only site with optional English navigation.

Perkins Cobb

#114 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Agreed about DVDBest, including the junk-mail ... definitely give them your least-used e-mail address if you have multiples.

Morandi

#115 Post by Morandi » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:15 am

i had some problems with gorila.sk
ordered 6 dvds, two of 'em were not in stock - the status was ready for shipping in 2-4 or 4-6 weeks. after two months and no message, i sent them a mail, then they told me that 4 of my dvds are ready for shipping, but two dvds are not in stock. after another 6 weeks i got a message that they cannot deliver 4 (!) dvds...
the end of the story: i paid for 6 dvds (they draw in your money right after ordering), i got only 2 of 'em and it took 4 months. now i have been credited for the other 4 dvds but not on my visa account but on my gorila.sk account, therefore i have to order another time.
and they didnt answer on mails in english, so i always had to ask a friend who knows czech to help me out.

petoluk

#116 Post by petoluk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 am

(04) Boxer a smrt / The Boxer and Death...

Still putting my notes together, but RE the extra "rollover" images, the 1st set shows the burnt-in subtitles in the version aired by Slovak Television earlier this year (I thought the DVD would use the same print, but they actually used player generated subs). The 2nd set shows compression artifacts (in a couple of scenes only), but comparing to the TV broadcast, the DVD is way better off...

Peto

petoluk

Re: Czech DVDs

#117 Post by petoluk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:44 am

(05) Organ / The Organ...

The photography is simply S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!! Too bad the transfer is non-anamorphic (this would look ravishing in HD)...

Peto

petoluk

#118 Post by petoluk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 pm

(08) Kristove roky / The Prime of Life...

(Sorry - didn't have time to watch/review #'s 6 & 7 yet + I'm still putting together notes for this one... :()

Peto

Perkins Cobb

#119 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Unless I'm missing something, only the old version of Slávnosť v botanickej záhrade is available from Dvdbest.sk. Did anyone else manage to order the new edition from them?

Gorila.sk has each of these for about 40% less than Dvdbest.sk, but I've been scared off from ordering from them (even if I could manage to navigate the Czech) after reading Morandi's report.

And SMK.sk will not ship internationally, correct?

Anyone have any updated reports on ordering these, or know any other options?

petoluk

#120 Post by petoluk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 am

(07) Den nas kazdodenny... / Our Daily Day... & (09) Slavnost v botanickej záhrade / Celebration in the Botanical Garden...
Perkins Cobb wrote:Unless I'm missing something, only the old version of Slávnosť v botanickej záhrade is available from Dvdbest.sk. Did anyone else manage to order the new edition from them?

Gorila.sk has each of these for about 40% less than Dvdbest.sk, but I've been scared off from ordering from them (even if I could manage to navigate the Czech) after reading Morandi's report.

And SMK.sk will not ship internationally, correct?

Anyone have any updated reports on ordering these, or know any other options?
Well, I could get it for you, or the whole collection for that matter - drop me a PM, OK? But let me tell you - this new edition of Celebration... looks way better than the old one! If you have got the old one already, and like the film, don't hesitate to double-dip... :wink:

Cheers!
Peto

Skritek

#121 Post by Skritek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am

Den nas kazdodenny isn't even on IMDB. Rather strange for a film on DVD.

The old DVD of Slavnost v botanickej záhrade however has some extras not available on the new one. Guess I'll have to double-dip on that one.
I've actually ordered (almost) all the new ones from Gorila, but all at once. So I have to wait for 322 to get released. What is strange though, is that some of the already released are not available now, like they haven't put them on the side for me to send when needed. :?

LQ

#122 Post by LQ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 am

I did a search for this, but nothing came up...can anyone comment on Kráska v nesnázích(Beauty in Trouble)? Is it on DVD?

petoluk

#123 Post by petoluk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 am

LQ wrote:I did a search for this, but nothing came up...can anyone comment on Kráska v nesnázích(Beauty in Trouble)? Is it on DVD?
I haven't seen the film, but a Czech DVD w/ Eng subs is available here...

Peto

LQ

#124 Post by LQ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:14 am

Much appreciated!

Skritek

#125 Post by Skritek » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 am

Klíc k urcování trpaslíku, the documentary about Juracek by Martin Sulik was released in Germany with Czech Audio, as well as English and German subs. The film comes highly recommended.