International Blu-ray discs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: International Blu-ray discs

#477 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 pm

There's a trailer here. Always risky to judge a transfer from a Youtube upload, but the softness of the image comports with what I've read about the 2017 Italian Blu-ray. Mosfilm's website says the movie was restored in 2010, but the earliest reference I can find to any digital screenings is 2016. The Mosfilm restoration used to be on Youtube in its entirety, but not anymore, it seems.

Stefan Andersson

#478 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Coin de Mire Cinéma, a French DVD/Blu outfit, has a nice line in restored 40s-60s French films, often starring Jean Gabin. For Non Coupable (1947) there is a "fin alternative". Le Diable et les Dix Commandements (1960) is available in its full 145-min. version. Only French subs, or so it seems, for titles in the collection.
Titles and often extensive info on restoration work:
https://coindemirecinema.com/nos-films
Last edited by Stefan Andersson on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Andersson

#479 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Louis Jouvet fans may be intrigued to see him play in comedy/melodrama register in Les Amoureux Sont Seuls au Monde (Decoin, 1947):
https://www.avoir-alire.com/les-amoureu ... st-blu-ray - described as a "comedie du remariage", shades of Stanley Cavell
https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/video-h ... ray-et-dvd

The film is restored and out on a Pathé Blu+DVD with English subs; a producer-mandated "fin optimiste" is included as a bonus.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#480 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm
Le Diable et les Dix Commandements (1960) is available in its full 145-min. version. Only French subs, or so it seems.
English-restricted viewers should consider it a blessing

Lowry_Sam

#481 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:33 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 am
The Canadian Blu Ray of Denys Arcand's The Fall of the American Empire (2018) is available with English subtitles.
2018? I went back to my receipts & see that I purchased the 25th anniversary edition blu-ray back in 2013 (and amazon.ca states it was first available in 2011). I also picked up Barbarian Invasions & Polytechnique (which also have English subtitles) for $36(Canadian).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#482 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 pm

The Fall of the American Empire is a different film (Arcand's most recent). At the time it seemed like it came and went without leaving any impression, and this kinda bears that out...

Lowry_Sam

#483 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Oops, hadnt noticed the slight title change (& havent taken much notice of any of his more recent output too for that matter). So is this a sequel to Decline?

willoneill

#484 Post by willoneill » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 pm

It's not related, no (other than the blatant title callback)

Rupert Pupkin

#485 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 pm

senseabove wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 am
Looks like Bonello's L'Apollonide/House of Tolerance had a Russian blu-ray release (in 2016?!), which I only discovered because an HD rip finally popped up.

From what I gather it's relatively difficult to import from Russia, and it doesn't have English subtitles anyway, but I was surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else (and that an HD rip didn't surface sooner...). Can't say it looks the best, compression-wise, but at least it's HD...
Isn't "L'Apollonide" also available in Blu-Ray in Germany ?
There's a lot of interesting titles which are not available elsewhere in Germany. Recently I bought "Dogville" (excellent HD transfer) and "Curiosia".

senseabove

#486 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 pm
I don't see any evidence of one, but if you find one, share a link!

Rupert Pupkin

#487 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:49 am

senseabove wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:30 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 pm
I don't see any evidence of one, but if you find one, share a link!
sorry I think I made a confusion with another BR available with Hafsia Herzi...
Like you I had discover that a blu-ray was "around" thanks to a BR rip... (is the ratio of the Russian Blu-Ray the original ratio ? Because, oddly Russia is the only country which released one of the best French movies of the last 3 years on Blu-Ray "Une Jeune Femme"; but they zoomed the original ratio (thus cropping top/bottom right and left of the screen - the original theatrical ratio was 1:66 (like the good old François Truffaut or French movies from the seventies, whereas the BR Russian is 1:85). In France, only a WEB 1080 release was released; too bad for the stunning photography.
https://www.golddisk.ru/goods/121000.html

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#488 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:10 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:11 pm
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm
Le Diable et les Dix Commandements (1960) is available in its full 145-min. version. Only French subs, or so it seems.
English-restricted viewers should consider it a blessing
Just watched it and yes, French SDH subs only, and yes, out of 145 min and 8 sketches, about 2 of them only are vaguely OK, the rest of the movie seemingly never knowing if it wants to be funny or dramatic, and ends up being nothing at all.

Rupert Pupkin

#489 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

I'm looking desperately for "La Naissance des Pieuvres aka Water Lilies" (Adèle Haenel first movie with Céline Sciamma). I happened to find recently a WEB 1080 rip which looks quite nice in comparison to the French DVD (more details, etc...)- this would be a very good choice for another movie by C.Sciamma (more than "Gang de filles")-
I have searched everywhere : at amazon.co.uk; de (generally in Germany some good surprises can find there such as "Curiosia" with Noémie Merlant from "Portrait de La Jeune Fille En Feu)", but I did not find a blu-ray. (I think that Noémie should have been a price for her role in "Portrait..." because she is absolutely mesmerizing - "it takes two to dance a tango".)
Any hint ?
in Belgium sometimes some movies are released there on Blu-Ray ("Le Fidèle" for instance with "another" Adèle (but really more than "another") :oops: :oops: :oops:

in the meantime, a great short movie with Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet aka "2 de tension" was included on the great Eustachien movie (stunning digital black & white photography) "Mes Provinciales" (released on blu-ray by Kino! (nothing at all in France) (oddly this discussion between 2 potential lovers about movies makes me think what is from Adèle's character or what is from the "real" Adèle about movie taste) - to sum up quickly oddy and physically Grégoire looks like Dawson (yes the TV series).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#490 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:31 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm
I'm looking desperately for "La Naissance des Pieuvres aka Water Lilies" (Adèle Haenel first movie with Céline Sciamma). I happened to find recently a WEB 1080 rip which looks quite nice in comparison to the French DVD (more details, etc...)- this would be a very good choice for another movie by C.Sciamma (more than "Gang de filles")-
I have searched everywhere : at amazon.co.uk; de (generally in Germany some good surprises can find there such as "Curiosia" with Noémie Merlant from "Portrait de La Jeune Fille En Feu)", but I did not find a blu-ray. (I think that Noémie should have been a price for her role in "Portrait..." because she is absolutely mesmerizing - "it takes two to dance a tango".)
I can't find any evidence this was ever released on Blu. Blu-ray was still a new format in 2007 and this I don't think this is the sort of movie that would normally have received a BD release at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it got one in the future, but for now there's no physical HD source that I see.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#491 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:50 am

This is a movie that was released at a turning point, ie released on DVD but not at a point where a BD release was viable.
Considering how arthouse it is and the BD market today, I doubt there'll be a BD anywhere soon, except through an indie rescue.

Rupert Pupkin

#492 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:31 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm
I can't find any evidence this was ever released on Blu. Blu-ray was still a new format in 2007 and this I don't think this is the sort of movie that would normally have received a BD release at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it got one in the future, but for now there's no physical HD source that I see.
oh sorry I didn't get it. That's why this "leak" came with a srt English file (subtitles).
May I ask if this opens with the Criterion logo ? (since I grabbed it "elsewhere" - I'm not a subscriber to Criterion channel (I live in France) - they probably removed the opening logo.
If this has the Criterion logo perhaps we could hope another Criterion blu-ray release ?

PfR73

#493 Post by PfR73 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 am

The film is in 1080p on the Criterion Channel. It does not begin with the Criterion logo and has burned-in English subtitles.

Stefan Andersson

#494 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Alexander Nevsky, Italian Blu with "Russian DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 & Dolby Digital 2.0", plus two Italian 5.1 dubs. No English subs.
https://www.afdigitale.it/aleksandr-nevskij-blu-ray/

Discussion about run times on the Italian blu and other discs of Dersu Uzala:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=290634

bergelson

#495 Post by bergelson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 am

Hi,

These caps are from the recent Japanese Blu-ray of Antonioni's "Il deserto rosso", the first Blu-ray from the 2017 4K restoration, look at the huge difference between those caps to the Criterion Blu-ray.
Taking under account that this is one of the most fampus films of all time with everything to do with color use, somebody got it all wrong...
The Japanese 4K screencaps are first

https://i.postimg.cc/Wpwvx66P/vlcsnap-2 ... 46s006.png
https://i.postimg.cc/LXFcbnJX/vlcsnap-2 ... 04s042.png

jsteffe

#496 Post by jsteffe » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:56 am

I've seen the film in 35mm a few times over the years in various prints, and they tended to be darker with more contrast than Criteron's hi-def master. But they also did not have that strong blueish tint. I'll stick with the Criterion Blu-ray - thanks for the heads-up!

hearthesilence

#497 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am

Wow, I do not remember that bluish tint AT ALL. That feels like a pretty egregious mistake.

reaky

#498 Post by reaky » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 am

Il Deserto Azzurro

bergelson

#499 Post by bergelson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

As you can see in the credits, Luciano Tovoli (A very respectable cinematographer and also the director of photography of Antonioni's "Professione: reporter" and "Mystery of Oberwald)
was allegedly the supervisor of the color correction but I believe we all know by now to take those credit titles with a grain of salt.
Perhaps someone has some stills which can shed some light on the mystery.

bergelson

#500 Post by bergelson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ti2bt90lYw

And still no sign of Blue...