Andrzej Wajda on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: Andrzej Wajda on DVD and Blu-ray

#26 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes, they're appalling, aren't they? I'm very slowly working my way through them with the aim of considerably improving them (the disc has French subtitles, which is a handy crib sheet), but at my present rate of progress I'll be lucky to finish much before 2020.

djvaso

#27 Post by djvaso » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm

DVD boxset by Cyfrowe Repozytorium Filmowe (CRF) and Polski Instytut Sztuki Filmowej (PISF) with 25 movies and 15 discs with extras

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:39 am

solaris72 wrote:Picked up the French blu of Wajda's Les Possedes. No English subs, but I found a .srt file online. Was preparing to combine the two, when I found that the timing was off- the .srt seemed to be timed for a PAL DVD. Spent a while researching how to fix this, found a website that could adjust the timing/framerate on .srt files. Messed around with that for a while, managed to get it reasonably synced. Put the movie on, and after all that- discovered that the subs appear to be a google translation job...
MichaelB wrote:Yes, they're appalling, aren't they? I'm very slowly working my way through them with the aim of considerably improving them (the disc has French subtitles, which is a handy crib sheet), but at my present rate of progress I'll be lucky to finish much before 2020.
Some enterprising soul has (FatPlank) has made proper ones on a private site. I've shared them here on Open Subtitles. Never watched the film but they look decent. Pretty sure they are timed and synced for the Blu-ray.

yoshimori

#29 Post by yoshimori » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:08 pm

TMDaines wrote:I've shared them here on Open Subtitles.
Thanks for that. The Possessed was one of my favorite films of 1988/89.* Tonally very odd. But, now 30 years on and nary an English-friendly home video release, it's fading from my memory. Eager to see it again.

*Along with King of the Children, Thin Blue Line, Hotel Terminus, On a Silver Globe, and Drowning By Numbers.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#30 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:10 pm

djvaso wrote:DVD boxset by Cyfrowe Repozytorium Filmowe (CRF) and Polski Instytut Sztuki Filmowej (PISF) with 25 movies and 15 discs with extras
Chances that the release will include English subs?

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:22 pm

TMDaines wrote:Some enterprising soul has (FatPlank) has made proper ones on a private site. I've shared them here on Open Subtitles. Never watched the film but they look decent. Pretty sure they are timed and synced for the Blu-ray.
They are indeed - many thanks!

drdoros

#32 Post by drdoros » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm

I just got the set in Bologna and they do have English subtitles. From what I understand, there will be 300 copies made, but I may be mistaken.

g053584398

#33 Post by g053584398 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 am

drdoros wrote:I just got the set in Bologna and they do have English subtitles. From what I understand, there will be 300 copies made, but I may be mistaken.
So all of the films in the DVD boxset by Cyfrowe Repozytorium Filmowe (CRF) and Polski Instytut Sztuki Filmowej (PISF) feature English subtitles? What is the image quality like for each film?

Where can this boxset be purchased from?

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#34 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:45 pm

g053584398 wrote:
drdoros wrote:I just got the set in Bologna and they do have English subtitles. From what I understand, there will be 300 copies made, but I may be mistaken.
So all of the films in the DVD boxset by Cyfrowe Repozytorium Filmowe (CRF) and Polski Instytut Sztuki Filmowej (PISF) feature English subtitles? What is the image quality like for each film?

Looking for the box set online, but can't find it. Help, anyone?

drdoros

#35 Post by drdoros » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:50 pm

I was told that it's coming out in November, if my memory serves me correctly.

djvaso

#36 Post by djvaso » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 am

g053584398 wrote:

The boxset is available at Empik:
http://www.empik.com/andrzej-wajda-anto ... 178,film-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am

It says "napisy: angielskie", but the crucial question is whether the extras have English subtitles as well, as I'd be just as interested in those. Normally I'd assume not, but with big editions like this the answer is sometimes yes.

I've just totted up the features, and while there are only three that I don't currently have in any form, it may well be the case that as many as a dozen are marked improvements on my existing, now ancient Polish DVDs if they really have been fully restored. So I'm half tempted, but not entirely - it would be an easier decision if this was a Blu-ray edition.

ozufils

#38 Post by ozufils » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:10 am

If I am understanding the polish website correctly, its 1456 zloty i.e 400 usd before shipping etc. Quite steep.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#39 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 pm

ozufils wrote:If I am understanding the polish website correctly, its 1456 zloty i.e 400 usd before shipping etc. Quite steep.
If these were on Blu I would jump on this set so fast, even at that price. For DVDs... I'm having doubts.

vertovfan

#40 Post by vertovfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm

I just finished going through the big Wajda box from Cyfrowe Repozytorium Filmowe, and for me it was well worth the hefty price tag. Quite a few of the films are ones that I hadn't seen previously, including some of the better-known ones that were already available in English-friendly editions, like Maids of Wilko (Panny z Wilka). All the feature films look great (to my eye at least) and have been digitally restored, though some of the restorations are a few years old according to the credits. The biggest revelation for me was Ashes (Popioły), a nearly four-hour epic set during the Napoleonic wars. I'd seen a low-quality VHS bootleg ages ago and remembered enjoying it, but this time it really blew me away. I honestly can't figure out why it isn't more highly regarded now, except perhaps that disapproval by the Polish authorities at the time of its production led to its never getting a very widespread release. The widescreen (2.35:1) photography is beautiful, and I'd love to see a blu-ray release of this at some point. There is a wealth of bonus material as well, all with English subtitles. A few of the highlights are Wajda's 1968 short science-fiction comedy Roly Poly/Layer Cake (Przekładaniec) starring Bogumił Kobiela; On the Set (Na planie), a short documentary by Jerzy Ziarnik on the shooting of Everything for Sale (Wszystko na sprzedaż); Workers '80 (Robotnicy '80), a 90-minute fly-on-the-wall documentary by Andrzej Chodakowski and Andrzej Zajączkowski about the Gdańsk shipyard strikes that saw the birth of Solidarność; and Dreams Are More Interesting (Marzenia są ciekawsze), a series of three 30-minute televisions programs from 1999 in which Wajda discusses various unmade film projects, including two that he would later realize - Katyń and Revenge (Zemsta). The packaging is quite impressive, extravagant even. My only gripe is that the discs are sometimes held very tightly by the center nubs, and I'd hate to accidentally crack one of them. The 256-page book is in Polish only, but photographs and posters take up at least as much space as the text. Long story short, no regrets here - I consider it money well spent!

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 pm

I bought it mainly for the extras - which, as you say, are all English-friendly - but quite a few of the main features are dramatically superior to my now ancient DVD copies (things like Kanal, Everything For Sale, The Young Ladies of Wilko, The Conductor), I'd only seen a very poor-quality off-air copy of The Birch Wood, and I'd never had the chance to see Pilate and Others, The Shadow Line or Chronicle of Amorous Incidents at all. I'd also only seen Warsaw, Wajda's segment from the Love at Twenty portmanteau project, in a cropped and Italian-dubbed version on YouTube, so even the non-anamorphic presentation here was a step up.