Screen Goddess Collection: Marlene Dietrich

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Tommaso

#26 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:04 pm

tryavna wrote:One last point before conversation returns to the "Screen Goddess" point of this thread: Be sure to watch The Iron Horse and 3 Bad Men in as rapid succession as possible, Tommaso.
I will. Sounds really intriguing. I'm curious about the Murnau influence, though. Not having seen very much pre-"Stagecoach"-Ford - only the three films in the recent WB Ford Film Collection set, to be precise -, I thought that the Murnau influence was mainly to be found in "The Informer" (what a gorgeous film, btw!). But if there's more, all the better :-)

tryavna

#27 Post by tryavna » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 pm

Oh, the Murnau influence is all over the place in Ford's work between 1928 and 1940 (though it trails off considerably -- or at least becomes more muted -- after 1936): Hangman's House, Four Sons, Pilgrimage, The Informer, Prisoner of Shark Island, The Long Voyage Home, etc. I suspect the silents are going to be a revelation to you -- and I envy you discovering them for the first time.