Éric Rohmer on DVD and BD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Black Hat

Re: Eric Rohmer on DVD and BD

#276 Post by Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 pm

That's slightly annoying but Rohmer at 180 is better than no Rohmer at all. How long does amazon.fr usually take to ship to the states? I ordered mine almost two weeks ago.

Donald Brown

#277 Post by Donald Brown » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:58 pm

You should be receiving it soon. Around two weeks is the average for their packages to reach me in PA.

Black Hat

#278 Post by Black Hat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:12 pm

And then there was blizzard.

AlexHansen

#279 Post by AlexHansen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Don't feel too bad about not ordering it from It. Shipping is 24.50 compared to the 8.50 for Fr. Though it still worked out to be about $20 less (was in the midst of checking out on Fr when I spotted this).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#280 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Is everyone aware of this price tracker?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#281 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Black Hat wrote:That's slightly annoying but Rohmer at 180 is better than no Rohmer at all. How long does amazon.fr usually take to ship to the states? I ordered mine almost two weeks ago.
I ordered mine the same day somebody announced the 180EU price, and mine just arrived in the mail here in California. So hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#282 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 pm

I got my copy today. Ordered it on Jan. 8 (and paid for expedited delivery). Price for the set itself was 151.87 euros. Also finally got the next to last Ruiz film in the same shipment.

Black Hat

#283 Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 am

swo17 wrote:Is everyone aware of this price tracker?
No I wasn't. Not sure if I should be thanking you or cursing you tho. :wink:

grovel

#284 Post by grovel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:38 am

So this arrived in my library today, yeah!
Unfortunately, however, the librarian already discarded the booklet that came with the set. She told me that it contained nothing but the information given on the back of the individual titles... Can anybody please confirm this?
I'm not talking about the postcards, posters, etc. that apparently came with the set, but the "livret". I've seen it described as a 100p booklet, so I'm having trouble believing there wasn't some kind of essay in it beyond the short packaging texts...

TMDaines

#285 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

Black Hat wrote:
swo17 wrote:Is everyone aware of this price tracker?
No I wasn't. Not sure if I should be thanking you or cursing you tho. :wink:
Pricenoia is awesome. They just need to do a few UI tweaks to make it easier to see prices across all the stores for items on your wishlist at a glance.

Oedipax

#286 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

grovel wrote:So this arrived in my library today, yeah!
Unfortunately, however, the librarian already discarded the booklet that came with the set. She told me that it contained nothing but the information given on the back of the individual titles... Can anybody please confirm this?
I'm not talking about the postcards, posters, etc. that apparently came with the set, but the "livret". I've seen it described as a 100p booklet, so I'm having trouble believing there wasn't some kind of essay in it beyond the short packaging texts...
What's that librarian's problem? Geez. Anyway, yes, the first 31 pages give or take are made up of a Rohmer text, an interview, and a piece on Rohmer. Plus there are production stills sprinkled throughout the booklet.

Zot!

#287 Post by Zot! » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Oedipax wrote:
grovel wrote:So this arrived in my library today, yeah!
What's that librarian's problem? Geez. Anyway, yes, the first 31 pages give or take are made up of a Rohmer text, an interview, and a piece on Rohmer. Plus there are production stills sprinkled throughout the booklet.
Beyond that, no, the individual film texts in the booklet are completely different than what appears on the back of the individual volumes. However it's all in French, so it does me little good. Worst of all however, without the booklet the slipcase is gonna have too much room and the digipacks might slip out more easily. Perhaps you're shelving the volumes separately at the library, and that's not an issue.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#288 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 am

Watched three films so far. "Signe du lion" and "L'arbre, le maire et la mediatheque" looked quite good. "4 Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle" looked pretty "coarse" -- but was lots of fun to watch in subtitled form. All the same, selfishly speaking, I think I might have preferred everything wioth French subs, rather than some stuff with English subs and other stuff with no subs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#289 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 am

I can confirm that the 100p booklet is not a repeat of the back cover text of the individual cases. There are 5p of text by Noel Herpe about Rohmer, then a 1 and a half page article by Rohmer himself,and finally 7p of ITW with Rohmer.
With all the pictures, that takes about 30p of the booklet.

Then, each movie has 2p for itself, one with a picture and one with a small analysis, a bit like in the Zatoichi set. Even the extras have 2 lines of explanations !

All of this is, of course, bathed in pictures, either from the movies or from behind the scenes. But however, all the texts are of course in French...

grovel

#290 Post by grovel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks a lot, Oedipax, Zot! and tenia for confirming my suspicions. It's a real shame, especially as the librarian only ordered it for the library because I suggested it to them. They might have thought of me before throwing everything (even the tea!) away. Oh well, I'll have to do without it.

However, if anybody would snap a picture of the 2p-texts on the Contes des quatres saisons, esp. the Conte d'hiver, and share them with me (PM?) I'd be really grateful. They fall within my research area...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#291 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Is this a local public library -- or a university one -- in either case, the librarian seems to have acted rather thoughtlessly. ;~{

grovel

#292 Post by grovel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:31 am

University library, their excuse is now that the booklet was in French... We're 20 km from the French language border and a fifth of the population speaks French natively. I'm not even counting that the library has an extensive French books section. The 'problem' really is that they don't shelve the films in the box, and their system doesn't make it obvious where to shelve the booklet.

Mathew2468

#293 Post by Mathew2468 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 am

She obviously kept it for herself...

zedz

#294 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm

david hare wrote:I bet the cow pinched the fucking teabags too!
Maybe she'll finally reveal what the tea tastes like.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#295 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 am

Watched Perceval le Gallois, it looked pretty good.

As to 16mm films, "L'arbre, le maire and la mediatheque" looks much less "grainy" (pontillistic) than Reinette & Mirabelle or Rayon Vert.

Black Hat

#296 Post by Black Hat » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Finally received my set yesterday. As excited as I am it's been somewhat tempered by the box having both end corners smashed in to the point where the cover sleeve for Rohmer L'Integral is also smashed in. On top of that there's a big scratch running diagonally that's been indented across the front (Rohmer drawing). The plastic wrapping was also already opened so I dunno if I received a return or what. I'm usually not a stickler for these things but considering what this is and how much it cost I'm annoyed. Do I have any recourse here with amazon.fr?

Zot!

#297 Post by Zot! » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Black Hat wrote:Finally received my set yesterday. As excited as I am it's been somewhat tempered by the box having both end corners smashed in to the point where the cover sleeve for Rohmer L'Integral is also smashed in. On top of that there's a big scratch running diagonally that's been indented across the front (Rohmer drawing). The plastic wrapping was also already opened so I dunno if I received a return or what. I'm usually not a stickler for these things but considering what this is and how much it cost I'm annoyed. Do I have any recourse here with amazon.fr?
They'll pay for the replacement, but it will probably cost you extra to send it back. Also, their packaging is no better the second time around.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#298 Post by Shrew » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Bergamot's the perfume added to Earl Grey. So it's just Earl Grey?

Jack Phillips

#299 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I will do it for $200 U.S.

Grisbi

#300 Post by Grisbi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

Zot! wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Finally received my set yesterday. As excited as I am it's been somewhat tempered by the box having both end corners smashed in to the point where the cover sleeve for Rohmer L'Integral is also smashed in. On top of that there's a big scratch running diagonally that's been indented across the front (Rohmer drawing). The plastic wrapping was also already opened so I dunno if I received a return or what. I'm usually not a stickler for these things but considering what this is and how much it cost I'm annoyed. Do I have any recourse here with amazon.fr?
They'll pay for the replacement, but it will probably cost you extra to send it back. Also, their packaging is no better the second time around.
I received my set Monday from amazon UK and was shocked at how little damage was done to it, especially considering that the tracking hinted at some delivery hiccup that apparently resulted in a couple days delay (making my total wait right at two weeks). So I was well prepared for the worst, but other than one very mildly dinged corner it is in fine shape. And it wasn't packaged particularly carefully to say the least. I don't know if mine was simply a lucky case or what, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that it'd be futile trying to get an acceptable replacement.

I've watched three of the blu-rays (Sign du lion, Chloe, and Le beau marriage) and they all looked stunning. I am incredibly happy with this awesome box.