Essentials from Germany

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Essentials from Germany

#126 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I see -- so it has to be marked "verkauf durch Amazon.de".

TMDaines

#127 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 am

domino harvey wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:It looks like Amazon Germany no longer ships to the US. ;~}
Try Amazon.it
Indeed. I would love to know how Amazon.it is consistantly cheaper than Amazon.de, despite the fact that the items seem to come from the Amazon.de warehouse(s) anyway. Grooves-Inc are more often than not the cheapest though if they have what you want in stock. Free shipping worldwide for any orders more than €20 also.

naersjoen

#128 Post by naersjoen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:49 am

Or Amazon.es

TMDaines

#129 Post by TMDaines » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Die Frau, nach der man sich sehnt (1929) by Kurt Bernhardt, featuring Marlene Dietrich, seems to be upcoming on DVD and Blu-ray:
Source wrote:Zur Auszeichnung mit dem ECHO Jazz 2012 gratulieren wir Pascal Schumacher, dem wir uns besonders verbunden fühlen: Der gefragte Künstler hat für den Stummfilm DIE FRAU, NACH DER MAN SICH SEHNT (2012) eine neue Musik komponiert, die vom WDR-Rundfunkorchester unter dem Dirigat von Christian Schumann eingespielt wurde. Die restaurierte Fassung der Murnau-Stiftung feiert ihre TV-Premiere auf ARTE (Di 1. Mai, 23.30 Uhr) und erscheint im Herbst auf DVD/Blu-ray. Anlässlich des 20. Todestages von Marlene Dietrich zeigt das Murnau-Filmtheater den Film in zwei Vorstellungen (Mi 2. Mai, 20.15 Uhr / So 6. Mai, 15.30 Uhr). In ihrem letzten Stummfilm spielt Marlene Dietrich den Vamp, den sie kurz darauf mit Josef von Sternberg im BLAUEN ENGEL und später in Hollywood perfektionieren sollte.

TMDaines

#130 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Ergh... why is Germany seemingly the most backward country in the world when it comes to dealing with cash electronically. http://www.bpb.de/ only take payment by bank transfer it seems! Never known a country or its people who are so reluctant to use credit or debit cards.

rohmerin

#131 Post by rohmerin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:05 am

Wir Wunderkinder is a masterpiece. Sadly I've watched a bad Argentinian TV rip print.
Is it a DVD with English, Spanish subs?
Smart, very fun, bitter, dark humor comedy, brilliant structure, très Brechtian. It's like a commedia all'italiana masterpiece. Monicelli could have perfectly made it.

naersjoen

#132 Post by naersjoen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 am

Only German Heard-of-hearing subtitles on the Arthaus DVD I am afraid. It is also in non-anamorphic 1.66:1.

TMDaines

#133 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Sure seems like Arthaus is just becoming StudioCanal Germany. So much of their classic German stuff is going out of print it seems as it's no longer available through online retailers or listed on their website. :cry:

Would love to think their just re-releasing it all but I feel pretty safe assuming that they're just mostly releasing the same old shit now.

A lot of the Icestorm/DEFA stuff seems to be slipping out of print and becoming harder to get too, sadly.

Tommaso

#134 Post by Tommaso » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:21 am

Yes, you're right. It not only affects arthaus, but the whole of the 'Kinowelt' programme. Not a single German classic released since they were officially taken over by StudioCanal last autumn. Not even a continuation of their apparently not unpopular series of Hans Moser films, not to speak of such pleasant surprises like Forst's "Burgtheater" last year. Even Riefenstahl's "Das blaue Licht" is OOP now.

TMDaines

#135 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 am

Yeah, I missed Tiefland and it's at crazy prices.

TMDaines

#136 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 pm

TMDaines wrote:Ergh... why is Germany seemingly the most backward country in the world when it comes to dealing with cash electronically. http://www.bpb.de/ only take payment by bank transfer it seems! Never known a country or its people who are so reluctant to use credit or debit cards.
So I got my bpb.de order through and, provided that you have a decent level of German, it's such a bargain. I got the DEFA and the Brasch sets. Both seem to be utter bargains as they have the same disks as the retail versions and the Suhrkamp Brasch set on Amazon.de goes for well over double the price!

I also booked up the Spur der Filme DEFA book and I don't think 567 pages clocked at the time: it's bigger than even Bondanella's Italian cinema book, for example, and it only costs €7.00!

Speaking of Suhrkamp Edition, I think they're quickly becoming one of my favourite labels. Some seriously highbrow shit on the whole with a nice, meaty, wordy booklet in each. Their Brasch, Kühle Wampe and Der geteilte Himmel sets are all excellent. They also put out Lang's Hangmen Also Die! but I don't have that as I'm not sure if there's anything new over the old German one. The booklet is likely far more meaty, I imagine. I'm not sure how much of their stuff interests me but they're definitely churning out some excellent releases, as are absolut Medien on the whole.
Last edited by TMDaines on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#137 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

TMDaines wrote:Die Frau, nach der man sich sehnt (1929) by Kurt Bernhardt, featuring Marlene Dietrich, seems to be upcoming on DVD and Blu-ray:
Source wrote:Zur Auszeichnung mit dem ECHO Jazz 2012 gratulieren wir Pascal Schumacher, dem wir uns besonders verbunden fühlen: Der gefragte Künstler hat für den Stummfilm DIE FRAU, NACH DER MAN SICH SEHNT (2012) eine neue Musik komponiert, die vom WDR-Rundfunkorchester unter dem Dirigat von Christian Schumann eingespielt wurde. Die restaurierte Fassung der Murnau-Stiftung feiert ihre TV-Premiere auf ARTE (Di 1. Mai, 23.30 Uhr) und erscheint im Herbst auf DVD/Blu-ray. Anlässlich des 20. Todestages von Marlene Dietrich zeigt das Murnau-Filmtheater den Film in zwei Vorstellungen (Mi 2. Mai, 20.15 Uhr / So 6. Mai, 15.30 Uhr). In ihrem letzten Stummfilm spielt Marlene Dietrich den Vamp, den sie kurz darauf mit Josef von Sternberg im BLAUEN ENGEL und später in Hollywood perfektionieren sollte.
This is going to be released as part of new series in conjunction with the Süddeutschen Zeitung at least: Stummfilm Fan forum and Amazon.de.

It remains to be seen whether we get a Blu-ray release.

Tommaso

#138 Post by Tommaso » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Somewhat curiously, this Süddeutsche Zeitung edition will also contain the first ever release of the new "Nibelungen", even before the 'official' releases from Transit and MoC. But seriously, everyone should wait for the regular releases with all the extras, of course. "Die Frau nach der man sich sehnt" will be a nice release, though. Not the greatest of all Weimar silents, but the new resto looks great; Marlene Dietrich fans will want to have it in any case.

TMDaines

#139 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Not seen this mentioned yet so I'd thought I'd share this interestingset of early German silent shorts from 1908-1919 coming out from absolut MEDIEN. Maybe some have been broadcast before as I know there is a rip of Der Perser from Arte TV floating about.

Tommaso

#140 Post by Tommaso » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:52 pm

I heard that these were all broadcast about ten years or even longer ago on TV. It seems that this is simply a dvd edition of this series of broadcasts. Very nice release in any case, though.

rohmerin

#141 Post by rohmerin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Please, I am going to Berlin for several weeks.
Addresses for buying DVDs on physic places? Like an HMV... Danke

Tommaso

#142 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Try Kulturkaufhaus Dussmann in Friedrichstraße. Probably not the coolest and most deserving shop, but they basically have everything. Just like HMV.

repeat

#143 Post by repeat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 am

Does anyone have this German release of Christoph Hochhäusler's excellent The City Below? It has English subs, I'm wondering if the audio commentary might be subbed as well (probably not!)

repeat

#144 Post by repeat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:39 pm

And, while on this topic (planning to put together an amazon.de order here), any experiences of this German edition of Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For The East? English subs and according to the absolut MEDIEN site it's region free as well.

L.A.

#145 Post by L.A. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 am

Die goldene Gans / The Golden Goose (Siegfried Hartmann, 1964)

Not sure is this exactly an essential but sounds like fun. According to the back cover the DVD has English subtitles. Can someone confirm that is the information correct?

TMDaines

#146 Post by TMDaines » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:18 am

La resa dei conti / The Big Gundown coming out on Blu-ray in Germany in an English-friendly edition, with the "original" Italian option.
L.A. wrote:Die goldene Gans / The Golden Goose (Siegfried Hartmann, 1964)

Not sure is this exactly an essential but sounds like fun. According to the back cover the DVD has English subtitles. Can someone confirm that is the information correct?
The German database sites, like DVD-PALACE, list it as having an English dub, but not subtitles.

htdm

#147 Post by htdm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 am

The back of the DVD does list both German subs for hard of hearing and English as well as a dub.

L.A.

#148 Post by L.A. » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm

TMDaines wrote:La resa dei conti / The Big Gundown coming out on Blu-ray in Germany in an English-friendly edition, with the "original" Italian option.
DVDCompare

Forrest Taft

#149 Post by Forrest Taft » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 am

Time to replace the 'Franco Cleef' bootleg of this that I've had for years! Looking forward to seeing this again, and the Lee Van Cleef Trailer Reel should also be fun.

TMDaines

#150 Post by TMDaines » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Interesting box set in Germany, which looks to be a series in fact, of titles that marked the end of UFA and the beginning of DEFA: Brüche und Kontinuitäten 01. A selection of six films from three directors (and a bonus seventh film). Whether the extras from the old standalone Icestorm releases made it across, I don't know.