All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
rohmerin

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#926 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:03 am

Londoners: I need a cheap Blu Ray player. UK can be easier than Spain. But the famous Toshibas are OOP.
Which player can I easily find in London? Of course I can not buy an American from amazon because they don't delivery to Europe electronic goods. Fuck! And I forgot to buy one when I was in Mexico in may. Anyway, electricity and plugs are different and I don't know if it runs with 220v.

Thanks.

manicsounds

#927 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 am

I have a Seiki clone (Japanese model) and it plays better than the Insignia player I have.
Recent Fox titles (like "Stoker" and "Lincoln") won't play on the Insignia without a firmware update, but the Seiki clone has had no problems with those.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#928 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am

David M. wrote:I really hope those Seiki players do a good job of reproducing what's on the disc given how many people in the US are using them!
I did a quick compare between the PS3 (which I find dependable) and the Seiki using discs with some of the better transfers I could think of and I couldn't detect a discernable difference. No filtering was being applied, no sharpening, or anything of the sort. More in-depth research with the right equipment might show some problems, but to the eye and ear I couldn't detect anything. The cheap price worried me but it looks like that's only because it's as basic a machine as you get: settings are very few, there's no internet connection at all, the remote is shit, and it only allows for HDMI and RCA composite hook ups. I'm pretty sure my A100 DVD player allowed for more. But it looks and sounds good. As to how long it will last me I can't say. But since I'll only use it for Region B (I have no C titles currently) or other region/PAL DVDs, it won't be used as much as my PS3, so I'll hopefully get a good run out of it. I'm really impressed with it so far, especially for $50.

Zot!

#929 Post by Zot! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

cdnchris wrote:
David M. wrote:I really hope those Seiki players do a good job of reproducing what's on the disc given how many people in the US are using them!
I did a quick compare between the PS3 (which I find dependable) and the Seiki using discs with some of the better transfers I could think of and I couldn't detect a discernable difference. No filtering was being applied, no sharpening, or anything of the sort. More in-depth research with the right equipment might show some problems, but to the eye and ear I couldn't detect anything. The cheap price worried me but it looks like that's only because it's as basic a machine as you get: settings are very few, there's no internet connection at all, the remote is shit, and it only allows for HDMI and RCA composite hook ups. I'm pretty sure my A100 DVD player allowed for more. But it looks and sounds good. As to how long it will last me I can't say. But since I'll only use it for Region B (I have no C titles currently) or other region/PAL DVDs, it won't be used as much as my PS3, so I'll hopefully get a good run out of it. I'm really impressed with it so far, especially for $50.
As I postulated above, I refuse to believe that digital content delivered through an HDMI cable can differ that much between players. I would expect that a player applying NO processing is preferred. Beyond that we're getting into audiophile arguments about atoms and what have you.

David M.

#930 Post by David M. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Zot, you're mostly correct. While differences do exist, manufacturers have to deliberately design them in (I've seen players with undefeatable edge enhancement for example). But it's completely possible for a cheap player to deliver perfect video quality via HDMI when it comes to 1080p Blu-ray (and yes, I've gotten into internet, er, debates with people who refuse to believe this after spending 4 figures on a player).

martin

#931 Post by martin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 pm

rrenault wrote:I'm wondering, I purchased AnyDVD a few months back but only paid for two years worth of updates. Do you think there'd be a way to change it so I could get lifetime updates (i.e. calling them and asking if I could pay a little extra on top of what I already paid)?
I'm afraid that's not possible anymore. Here's a mail sent from AnyDVD (or rather Slysoft) to their users November 2010:
As of January 1st, 2011, SlySoft will discontinue the 'lifetime' update subscription. This is being announced well in advance to give everybody a final opportunity to acquire SlySoft products and product upgrades with lifetime free updates and renew limited subscriptions to lifetime.

rrenault

#932 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:51 am

Except that I purchased AnyDVD a few months ago and the lifetime update option still appeared to be available for the taking. As for why I didn't take it, I was being 'penny wise and pound foolish.

martin

#933 Post by martin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 am

Strange. That mail caused a lot of confusion at the time. There's a big thread about it on the SlySoft forum.

Seems like they have changed their procedures then (haven't read the thread, so I'm not sure if it contains any answers). But then it should definitely be possible to renew the license. Cheapest option would probably be to renew it to a lifetime license once it expires. Notice that the software itself doesn't expire, only the option to update the program expires but you probably know that.

rrenault

#934 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 am

Now I'm wondering. If I get lifetime updates for AnyDVD, then I'll probably never need to buy a blu-ray player of any sort since I can just connect my laptop to a TV with an HDMI hookup. The only problem is the aspect ratio of a laptop screen is slightly different from that of a widescreen TV, so the edges may be cut off. Is there a way to remedy this?

David M.

#935 Post by David M. » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:28 pm

It won't be cut off.Set the output of the laptop to 1920x1080 on the HDMI port.

manicsounds

#936 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Or if you buy a lifetime update subscription for AnyDVD, but if the average computer gets replaced between 5 to 10 years, what's the point?

rrenault

#937 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:13 pm

manicsounds wrote:Or if you buy a lifetime update subscription for AnyDVD, but if the average computer gets replaced between 5 to 10 years, what's the point?
You transfer your files from one computer to the next.

stagefright50

#938 Post by stagefright50 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm

I know we were all pretty excited about the Insignia models awhile back, but I'd like to warn anyone interested. When comparing Wild Strawberries on my PS3 and the Insignia BRDVD4, I noticed this edge enhancement/noisy picture with the Insignia that's even discernible from a distance of about 10 feet. I have both the WBRDVD2 and the BRDVD4 and they output the same garish quality. There are no settings to alter PQ on the player. I bought it mostly for MoC discs and for awhile thought that it was just MoC's style. Then I realized that's crazy. I am probably going to spend a bit for for a different player soon.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#939 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Might want to check the sharpness levels on each input in your TV's settings. Ideally, this should be set to zero, as it's the TV artificially creating "sharpness" that can look a lot like edge enhancement.

stagefright50

#940 Post by stagefright50 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Definitely set to zero, and I've compared the disc using PS3 with the same TV and the movie looks gorgeous.

cpetrizzi

#941 Post by cpetrizzi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:08 pm

cdnchris wrote:If I'm reading this page right, you might be able to find reconditioned Seiki players here: http://www.searsoutlet.com/Blu-ray-Play ... uyUsedOnly (Of course, I think they're only "store pickup")
Is this really a multi-region player for that price?!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#942 Post by cdnchris » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes, it is. And it's a pretty good player, too.

matrixschmatrix

#943 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah, as long as you make sure it's outputting in 1080p. It's very quiet, it's an all-region DVD player out of the box, it can play mpegs via USB, and, you know, multi-region blu player. It's definitely worth grabbing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#944 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm

But isn't it only available for store pickup in the 15 locations listed at that link?

scubadonc

#945 Post by scubadonc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm

I went to my local Sears today and found one brand new for $50. The remote is a little finicky about being pointed directly at the player but the hack/code works well. No more watching MoC blus on my laptop! Don't assume the player is only available online.

stagefright50

#946 Post by stagefright50 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am

Same where I am. There's five just sitting on the shelf.

David M.

#947 Post by David M. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Given how many people are using these things to play back international BDs, I would really love to review one and put it through all the video tests. Does anyone from the US want to loan me one if I pay the shipping and return it in one piece? :)
Might want to check the sharpness levels on each input in your TV's settings. Ideally, this should be set to zero, as it's the TV artificially creating "sharpness" that can look a lot like edge enhancement.
Not just look like - in-TV sharpness is the same thing as what most people call edge enhancement.

matrixschmatrix

#948 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:24 pm

David M. wrote:Given how many people are using these things to play back international BDs, I would really love to review one and put it through all the video tests. Does anyone from the US want to loan me one if I pay the shipping and return it in one piece? :)
Not just look like - in-TV sharpness is the same thing as what most people call edge enhancement.
If you can hang on for a month or so, I wouldn't mind- I'm moving and don't want to deal with forwarding or whatever, but after that I'd be happy to lend it out.

David M.

#949 Post by David M. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Sounds good! I'll PM you in a month!

dfzp

#950 Post by dfzp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 am

I'm interesed in this player, but I am based in Europe. If someone from the U.S. was able to buy one and ship it to me I'd gladly cover all costs.