Yugoslavian films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
htdm

Re: Yugoslavian films on DVD

#51 Post by htdm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Can someone (Vaso?) kindly advise as to whether or not Big Bang sells to the US?

I read the 2 year old post above indicating that no online sellers can accept international payments online, but is this still the case?

vertovfan

#52 Post by vertovfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I ordered from Big Bang to the US several monhs ago. At one point the order seemed to get stuck in their system, but their email support was very good and everything got sorted out in the end.

htdm

#53 Post by htdm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Cheers that!

djvaso

#54 Post by djvaso » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Vip Kinoteka project will include another 10 classic Serbian movies as it was announced yesterday. The first restored movie in the new cycle is Love and Fashion (Ljubav i Moda) (1960) directed by Ljubomir Radičević. The titles of other restored films are not revealed except that they are directed by Dušan Makavejev, Goran Paskaljević, Goran Marković, Puriša Đorđević, Emir Kusturica, Božidar Nikolić and Dušan Kovačević.

jonceodbucin

#55 Post by jonceodbucin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello!
I know that this post doesn't belong here, but let me, please, ask something user: "vertovfan", and this is a call to that user. (Later, you can delete this post)
I am writing from Macedonia, and I am also a fan of Yugoslavian films.
Because I am a new member, I can not write private messages.
I saw that you have bought the Branko Gapo, Stole Popov & Ljubisha Georgievski's remastered collections from Macedonia, and I wanna ask you, please, if you're interested for a trade, or sharing them (privately) on the net.
Please, write me a message here, or better on my mail: "jonceodbucin@gmail.com", because here I won't be able to answer to you.
Greetings and all the best! :)

djvaso

#56 Post by djvaso » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 am

Two movies of France Štiglic Don't Cry Peter (Ne joči, Peter) (1964) & On That Lovely Day... (Tistega lepega dne) (1962) will be released soon on Blu-ray in Si-Fi Klasika edition.

vertovfan

#57 Post by vertovfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I was in North Macedonia recently, and was pleased to find some Macedonian films in a couple shops (Mister Company and Jugoton) at the main shopping center in Skopje. There was just one copy of the recently-released Kiril Cenevski collection (which I immediately purchased) as well as several copies of the Stole Popov and Ljubisa Georgievski sets, a collection of films by the Manaki brothers (first filmmakers in the Balkans), and several newer Macedonian films. There were also individual releases of the Stole Popov films. I haven't found any online source for the Kinoteka na Makedonija releases, but at least they're available if you happen to visit the country!

The Kiril Cenevski set contains 4 films: Black Seed (Црно семе, 1971), Anguish (Јад, 1975), Lead Brigade (Оловна бригада, 1980), and Knot (Јазол, 1985). They're each on single-layer discs, with Macedonian, English, and Albanian subtitles like the other Kinoteka releases.

djvaso

#58 Post by djvaso » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:51 pm

I am pissed off because of total lack of pieces of information about VIP Kinoteka DVD boxset. They printed two thousand copies but it looks like they thrown then into a hole.
I have found only one (?!) person who received the boxset but he has not replied to my request about subtitles and bonuses on discs.

Adam X

#59 Post by Adam X » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am

djvaso wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am
A classik Serbian TV horror Leptirica (The She-Butterfly) directed by Đorđe Kadijević will be released in July in limited dual format edition (990 pieces) by Ostalgica.
I finally got around to putting the copy I bought into my player to watch, and found the BD won't let me go any further than the main menu screen, and not really even that far.
It load up to the main menu image, with music playing and smoke/fog drifting around over the image in a loop, but no menu options appear, and I'm locked out of doing anything with the remote.

Has anyone come across this issue, or heard anything about it? Even on another title. I'm thinking I might finally have to install the last firmware update for my player & see if that does anything.

UPDATE: So I tried it on another player & had the same result, though I was at least able to find the movie file's Title by going through the numbers on my remote, which is annoying because this won't work on my Oppo.

djvaso

#60 Post by djvaso » Fri May 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 am
djvaso wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am
A classik Serbian TV horror Leptirica (The She-Butterfly) directed by Đorđe Kadijević will be released in July in limited dual format edition (990 pieces) by Ostalgica.
I finally got around to putting the copy I bought into my player to watch, and found the BD won't let me go any further than the main menu screen, and not really even that far.
It load up to the main menu image, with music playing and smoke/fog drifting around over the image in a loop, but no menu options appear, and I'm locked out of doing anything with the remote.

Has anyone come across this issue, or heard anything about it? Even on another title. I'm thinking I might finally have to install the last firmware update for my player & see if that does anything.

UPDATE: So I tried it on another player & had the same result, though I was at least able to find the movie file's Title by going through the numbers on my remote, which is annoying because this won't work on my Oppo.
No problem at my disc and player Pioneer BDP-440.

Adam X

#61 Post by Adam X » Sun May 31, 2020 6:52 am

Thanks, yeah, I suspect it’s my disc. I ended up watching the DVD anway, and I’m not sure I liked it enough to try and get in touch with the label. For a 60 minute film, it sure dragged its heels, and seems more interested in following around a group of drunk men than exploring any folklore.

djvaso

#62 Post by djvaso » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Ko to tamo peva (Who's Singing Over There?) (1980) by Slobodan Šijan and Deveti krug (The Ninth Circle) (1960) by Franc Štiglic will be presented on Cannes Classics 2020
https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/info ... ics-2020-1

djvaso

#63 Post by djvaso » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:58 pm

I have got VIP Kinoteka DVD boxset as a gift from VIP today. I quickly scan the discs, they are barebones with only menu for selection English subtitles. The subtitles are yellow ones and maybe not so good. At the very beginning of "Petrija's Wreath" I noticed untranslated sentences about brandy. The package is 3-foldout digipack with pocket for the disc.

djvaso

#64 Post by djvaso » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm

I found this piece of news at the blog of Dejan Onjanović:
http://cultofghoul.blogspot.com/2020/11 ... eju-u.html
VIY [Limited Edition Set] from Eureka Entertainment with exclusive bonus disc: A HOLY PLACE (Sveto mesto) (1990) directed by Đorđe Kadijević.
I am very excited.

djvaso

#65 Post by djvaso » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:50 am

Restored "Sinner without a Sin" (1930) by Kosta Novaković will be released on DVD (and Blu-ray?) in February.

djvaso

#66 Post by djvaso » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 am

Das Lied der Schwarzen Berge (Fantom Durmitora) (1933), the very first survived feature film shot on locations in Montenegro will be released on DVD. The project is a joint effort of Montenegrin Cinematheque and Cultural and Informative Center of Zagreb - Croatia with the participation of Bundesarchiv and Montenegrin Film center. I hope that the release will be commercially available and on pressed disc unlike Non v'è resurrezione senza morte (Voskrsenja ne biva bez smrti) (1922) release which is not.

MichaelB

#67 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 am

djvaso wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 am
Das Lied der Schwarzen Berge (Fantom Durmitora) (1933), the very first survived feature film shot on locations in Montenegro...
That reminds me of a fascinating film-archive conference that I attended in Warsaw, where the idea was that since Poland's Filmoteka Narodowa had found pretty much every scrap of actual Polish pre-1939 footage that they were realistically ever going to, they decided to cast the net wider by looking at films made by foreign producers but with Polish elements - locations, people, etc. Which seemed then and still seems now to be a very sensible thing to do, especially for a country that either had no film industry of its own or, in Poland's case, one that saw a pretty huge chunk of its output irretrievably lost during WWII.

(My contribution was a presentation about a dozen or so pro-Polish propaganda films made in Britain during WWII by exiles Eugeniusz Cękalski and Stefan Osiecki working in collaboration with former Hitchcock leading man Derrick De Marney. My Russian counterpart's contribution was similar, but consisted of rabidly anti-Polish propaganda films from the time of the 1919-20 Polish-Bolshevik War.)

L.A.

#68 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am

Two new restorations from the Cinematheque of North Macedonia
Both digitally restored, Mirno Leto (A Quiet Summer, 1961) and Frosina (1952) will premiere on 11 and 16 June, respectively, at 20:00 as part of A Season of Classic Films. The films will be presented in special open-air screening events in Skopje and via live stream and they will remain free-to-view online for five days via the Cinematheque’s website.

djvaso

#69 Post by djvaso » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 am

L.A. wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am
Two new restorations from the Cinematheque of North Macedonia
Both digitally restored, Mirno Leto (A Quiet Summer, 1961) and Frosina (1952) will premiere on 11 and 16 June, respectively, at 20:00 as part of A Season of Classic Films. The films will be presented in special open-air screening events in Skopje and via live stream and they will remain free-to-view online for five days via the Cinematheque’s website.
I missed the live stream for "A Quiet Summer" and it is not available now. :oops:

Also in A Season of Classic Films
* New digitisation premiere*
Open-air screening (18 June) and online stream (19 & 20 June) of One Song a Day Takes Mischief Away (Tko pjeva zlo ne misli) directed by Krešo Golik (1970) organised by the Croatian state archive – Croatian cinematheque

* New restoration world premiere*
Cinema screening and online stream of Seven Slovenian Shorts 1946-1984 on June 22 organised by the Slovenian Cinematheque

The financial backer for the project of restoration of Serbian film heritage has changed name from VIP to A1 so the project will be renamed to „A1 Kinoteka“. The two titles are remained in this phase and the project will continue with another 10 movies. The next restored movie has the title which resembles to the one of the famous foreign film.

L.A.

#70 Post by L.A. » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am

When I go to the Cinematheque’s site and try to watch A Quiet Summer it says ”This event hasn’t started yet”. Fortunately on their Facebook page it can still be watched so either today or tomorrow will try to catch it.

djvaso

#71 Post by djvaso » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:28 am

L.A. wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am
When I go to the Cinematheque’s site and try to watch A Quiet Summer it says ”This event hasn’t started yet”. Fortunately on their Facebook page it can still be watched so either today or tomorrow will try to catch it.
This presentation was spoiled with some kind of yellow tint for which can be blamed VLC player.

I strongly recommend to anyone to watch or record the charming comedy One Song a Day Takes Mischief Away (Tko pjeva zlo ne misli) till June 25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2FaCJR-Vc

Finally, a certain American editor will release on Blu-ray TV works of one of my favorite Serbian directors with a lot of new extras (newly produced interviews and booklet).

djvaso

#72 Post by djvaso » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:40 am

As the official announcement is imminent, it can be revealed that Leptirica, Štićenik and Devičanska svirka will be released by Severin Films in the All the Haunts Be Ours: A Compendium of Folk Horror boxset. I hope that the movies will get also a standalone release.

L.A.

#73 Post by L.A. » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:19 pm

DVD set of five restored Macedonian classics Three Ani (1959), Macedonian Part of Hell (1971), Thirst (1971), Father (We Are Cursed, Irina) (1973) and Hi-Fi (1987). I am interested of course.

djvaso

#75 Post by djvaso » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:46 am

Slobodan Šijan has made two and a half masterpieces. This is 1/2:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Strangle ... ay/293469/