Girls Nite Out

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Girls Nite Out

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 pm

A host of familiar genre faces including Hal Holbrook (Creepshow), Rutanya Alda (Amityville II: The Possession), Julia Montgomery (The Kindred) and Lauren-Marie Taylor (Friday the 13th Part 2) rounds out the cast of this gloriously mean-spirited slice from the slasher golden age, Girls Nite Out!

The students of DeWitt University are preparing themselves for a night of fun and frolics in the form of an all-night scavenger hunt. Little do they know that they are in fact the ones being hunted… An unhinged assailant, disguised in the college’s goofy bear mascot outfit – and bearing knives for claws, two years before Freddy donned his famous gloves – is stalking the campus hellbent on carving up co-eds.

Originally released under the only marginally more appropriate title of The Scaremaker, Girls Nite Out is a decidedly singular slasher flick which comes on like a frenetic cross between Animal House and Friday the 13th – veering from jovial frat antics to jarringly disturbing scenes of the killer shrieking obscenities as he slices up his victims. On this nite out, no one is coming home!

Product Features
  • Brand new 2K restoration from 35mm vault elements
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary with genre film critic/author Justin Kerswell and film historian/author Amanda Reyes
  • Staying Alive – a brand new video interview with actress Julia Montgomery
  • A Savage Mauling – a brand new video interview with actress Laura Summer
  • Alone in the Dark – a brand new video interview with actress Lois Robbins
  • It Was a Party! – a brand new video interview with actor Paul Christie
  • Love & Death – a brand new video interview with actors Lauren-Marie Taylor and John Didrichsen
  • Archival video interview with actress Julia Montgomery
  • Archival audio interview with actress Rutanya Alda
  • The Scaremaker Alternate Title Card
  • Original Trailers
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original artwork and newly-commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Michael Gingold

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Girls Nite Out

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:52 pm

My brief writeup from the Horror List
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm
Girls Nite Out (Robert Deubel 1984) Average slasher with some remnants of respectability present. The villain's method of execution is the best thing here: He or she appropriates the mascot's costume from the local university… they're the grizzlies. The assailant tapes four kitchen knives to the paw to form claws. I gave an appreciative chuckle at that one.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:16 pm

I kind of love the notion that Arrow are determined about getting us to watch all of the films that domino dismissed back during his slasher film phase!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:48 pm

This one isn’t as bad as some but it was the weakest of the three included in the old Shriek Show DVD set (the best of which, Blood Sisters, I just discovered was upgraded by Media Blasters last year!)