Gamera: The Complete Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Gamera: The Complete Collection

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:40 pm

The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone s favourite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray boxset. This limited edition collectors set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the friend of all children in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.

Limited collectors edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank

All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition, with lossless Japanese and English audio 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy (Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris)

Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew, and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)

Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh

Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!
FINAL SPECS TO BE CONFIRMED SOON

EddieLarkin

Re: Gamera: the Complete Collection

#2 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Great to see Kalat come out of retirement again, especially with him being absent from Criterion's Godzilla set.

JamesF

Re: Gamera: The Complete Collection

#3 Post by JamesF » Sat May 30, 2020 3:51 am

Complete specs now available:
COLLECTOR’S EDITION BOXSET CONTENTS
Limited collectors’ edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank
Casebound, fully-illustrated disc book containing eight Blu-ray discs
High Definition (1080p) versions of all twelve films, with lossless original Japanese audio and a complete collection of English dub tracks, including classic American International dubs on the Showa-era films remastered from original MGM elements
Hardback 130-page comic book including a full-colour reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh
Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, an archive interview with Noriaki Yuasa by David Milner, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, Fangoria set reports on the Heisei trilogy by Norman England, and a viewers’ guide to the English-dubbed versions of the films
Double-sided four-panel poster of “Gamera’s Map of Japan” in both Japanese and English
Collectors’ artcards for each film, featuring new artwork by Matt Frank

DISC ONE – GAMERA THE GIANT MONSTER
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Giant Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
Commentary and newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gammera the Invincible (Blu-ray premiere), the American theatrical version of the film, with lossless mono audio and optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Remembering the Gamera Series, an archive featurette from 1991, including interviews with director Noriaki Yuasa, writer Nisan Takahashi and others
Interview with Noriaki Yuasa, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
Gamera Special, an hour-long best-of compilation supervised by Noriaki Yuasa in 1991
Alternate English credits
Trailer and image galleries

DISC TWO – GAMERA VS. BARUGON / GAMERA VS. GYAOS
High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Barugon and Gamera vs. Gyaos, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
Commentary on Gamera vs. Barugon by August Ragone & Jason Varney
Commentary on Gamera vs. Gyaos by Stuart Galbraith IV
Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
High Definition (1080p) transfer of War of the Monsters, the shorter American edit of Gamera vs. Barugon, with lossless English audio
Alternate English credits for both films

DISC THREE – GAMERA VS. VIRAS / GAMERA VS. GUIRON
High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Viras and Gamera vs. Guiron, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
Choice of three different versions of Gamera vs. Viras via seamless branching (72-minute Theatrical Version, 81-minute Director’s Version and 90-minute US Extended Version)
Commentary on Gamera vs. Viras by Carl Craig and Jim Cironella
Commentary on Gamera vs. Guiron by David Kalat
Newly filmed introductions to both films by August Ragone
New featurette with actor Carl Craig showing his souvenirs and props from Gamera vs. Viras
Highlights from the G-FEST X convention in 2003, featuring Noriaki Yuasa and Carl Craig
The 4th Nippon Jamboree, a promotional film for the Boy Scouts of Japan directed by Yuasa in 1966
Alternate English credits for both films

DISC FOUR – GAMERA VS. JIGER / GAMERA VS. ZIGRA / GAMERA SUPER MONSTER
High Definition (1080p) transfers of Gamera vs. Jiger, Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera Super Monster, with lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio, and optional English subtitles
Commentary on Gamera vs. Jiger by Edward L. Holland
Commentary by Gamera vs. Zigra by Sean Rhoads & Brooke McCorkle
Commentary on Gamera Super Monster by Richard Pusateri
Newly filmed introductions to all three films by August Ragone
Alternate English credits for all three films

DISC FIVE – GAMERA THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
Commentary by Matt Frank
Newly filmed introduction by August Ragone
A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 1, the first in an epic three-part documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
Interviews with director Shusuke Kaneko and SFX director Shinji Higuchi, filmed by Jörg Buttgereit in 2002
Extended 90-min interview with Shinji Higuchi from 2001, focusing on the trilogy’s special effects
Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release

DISC SIX – GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
Original Japanese and dubbed English DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 2.0 audio, with optional English subtitles
Commentary by Kyle Yount
A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 2, the next part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
On-set footage from the shooting of the film’s main unit and special effects filming
Behind the scenes featurettes tracing the film’s production from announcement to release
“Lake Texarkana” comedic dub track

DISC SEVEN – GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris, from a 4K restoration by Kadokawa Pictures
Commentary by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski
A Testimony of 15 Years: Part 3, the final part of the documentary interviewing cast and crew of the Heisei Trilogy
Newly filmed interview with Kaho Tsutsumi about the DNA Tokasatsu exhibition in Tokyo, by kaiju historian Edward L. Holland
Deleted Scenes
The Awakening of Irys (Remix), a montage of behind-the-scenes footage and work-in-progress special effects footage
Spoof commentary by “Gamera” & “Soldier No.6”

DISC EIGHT – GAMERA THE BRAVE
High Definition (1080p) transfer of Gamera the Brave
Commentary by Keith Aiken & Bob Johnson
How to Make a Gamera Movie, a featurette hosted by director Ryuta Tasaki
Behind The Scenes of Gamera the Brave, an all-access on-set documentary
The Men That Made Gamera, a documentary looking back at the series from start to finish, featuring interviews with cast and crew
Opening Day Premiere, a featurette showing the cast and crew presenting the film at its first showing
Kaho’s Summer, an interview with the film’s young star
Special Effects Supercut, a montage of effects shots overseen by FX supervisor Hajime Matsumoto

smccolgan

#4 Post by smccolgan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 pm

So... has anyone gotten this? How is it?

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#5 Post by soundchaser » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Mine should be arriving tomorrow or Saturday, so I can’t say firsthand, but every indication from online reviews is that it’s a clear improvement on Criterion’s Godzilla set. I can do a running commentary of the films as I watch them here if that’s something people might be interested in.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#6 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm

smccolgan wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 pm
So... has anyone gotten this? How is it?
Massive. It's the biggest film box set I've ever owned. Must be at least five pounds. I've only made it through the first film so far and am very happy with the quality and the amount of features. I expect it'll take me a month or two to watch everything and the special features.

J Wilson

#7 Post by J Wilson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:08 pm

Certainly better as a set than the Godzilla box because Kadokawa aren't as psycho as Toho about limiting what was allowed to be used. It makes what Criterion were allowed to do with the Godzilla box look paltry by comparison.

Big Ben

#8 Post by Big Ben » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Quite a few of the Gamera films are not high art which is something to take into consideration. Even by kaiju standards they're pretty bad. But the movies made in the nineties are legitimately good monster movies.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:14 pm
Quite a few of the Gamera films are not high art which is something to take into consideration. Even by kaiju standards they're pretty bad. But the movies made in the nineties are legitimately good monster movies.
Yes, Kaneko's 90s neo-Gamera series was really quite good (and the third might come close to excellent). And Ko Otani's music for these got better with each film as well.

J Wilson

#10 Post by J Wilson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:58 pm

Just discovered that at least the first two discs don't play properly on my Oppo BDP-83, which I use in my living room. Plays fine on a PS4 though. On the Oppo, the picture doesn't show up on anything on the disc, only audio and subtitles work.

smccolgan

#11 Post by smccolgan » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I’m starting to get FOMO on this, if I order direct from Arrow, will it play on my US blu-ray player?

dwk

#12 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Yes, the discs are A+B

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:01 am

The SpaceHunterM channel has put up a few TV spots for the various films: Gamera vs Barugon (it looks as if they fell into that bridge by accident), Gamera vs Gaos (who will save this chubby child?! Also yet another bridge gets accidentally fallen onto) and Gamera vs Zigra (which is mostly making me hungry for fried fish)

Slaphappy

#14 Post by Slaphappy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:25 am

I don't have space for it, but I love this set. Just like Toei made Gamera bigger monster than Toho's Godzilla and gave it more powers and personality, Arrow's box is like Criterion's Godzilla boxset tweaked up to eleven: It's bigger and bolder leaving its competition looking boring and lame.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#15 Post by soundchaser » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Gamera: The Giant Monster - Maybe I went in with low expectations, but this is...pretty good, actually? It’s hard not to compare this to the first Godzilla film: it’s the monster’s introduction, it’s shot in high-contrast black-and-white, and it has some connection to Cold War anxieties of the mid-20th century. But the first thing I noticed about it was how unlike Gojira it is. The latter is a slow, almost meditative experience, with long unbroken shots of barely discernible teeth and claws. Gamera, by comparison, opens with a tense, quickly edited (I’d be curious to know the average shot length of each film) aircraft chase set against a snowy backdrop that ends in the giant monster being awakened before the main title has even shown up. While Godzilla is a personification of nuclear fear, an allegory for unwitting destruction, here the potential for a nuclear World War III is simultaneously foregrounded (in the early scenes) and dismissed (once Gamera attacks a ship). Gamera is woken by an A-bomb, yes, but at the end of the day he’s a giant turtle, and the film is happy for him to be that. Tonally, the films are quite distinct: while this is, from what I understand, the most serious of the Showa-era Gamera films, it’s not without its own sense of humor (not always successful — the elderly man who first spots Gamera in his flying saucer form is a strange bit of comic relief).

But the heart of the film, and perhaps where the biggest contrast to the Godzilla series lies, is the child Toshio. He has a pet turtle that his father and older sister force him to set free, and he later comes to believe it transforms into Gamera. It’s this thematic through line of innocence in an otherwise harsh world, (which only begins 20 minutes into an already fairly short film) that I think actually holds the film together. In his introduction, August Ragone jokingly calls this kid “a sociopath” for thinking Gamera is his lost pet, but I don’t think that’s entirely fair — it’s clear that the whole film is meant to be, in some ways, an extension of a child’s view of the world, kind of like (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) The Florida Project. If Toshio can’t have the love and care of his pet within his own world, he’ll take that instinct and expand it outwards, in spite of the grimness encapsulated by the military’s attacks on Gamera — in much the same way that Gamera himself can take the inorganic material he is attacked with and turn it into an organic source of energy. (Toshio literally says at one point that his turtle “is small and Gamera is big, but they’re the same.” The connection is pretty explicit.) I think this is a smart move on the filmmakers’ parts, as it asks the audience to suspend their disbelief without falling into the outright ridiculous territory of a similar child-centric Godzilla film like All Monsters Attack! Unsurprisingly, the child is right about Gamera: he doesn’t want to be bad, and shooting him will do no one any good. He’s lonely, just wants friends, etc. It’s quite possible I’m reading too much into the film, but I do think all these thematic elements are present, even if they don’t totally cohere. For example: the ending, which I won’t spoil, is really incongruous with the rest of the film.

And look, even if you watch this and don’t pick up on these themes, it really is just plain fun — and not necessarily with a goofy “look at me!” attitude like some of the later Godzilla films. Gamera taking off to the skies after his initial defeat is played entirely straight, and I’m kind of amazed to say that it works in an ersatz sort of way.

All in all, a fun start to the franchise. Definitely a children’s film, but not one that feels patronizing towards or untrusting of its target audience. It’s certainly not without its faults (lookin’ at you, American Air Force actors), and I won’t pretend it’s traditionally high art, but I enjoyed it more than most of the Showa-era Godzilla films, and I’m looking forward to seeing the excesses I’ve heard the rest of the series indulges in (even if I don’t appreciate them in quite the same way).

knives

#16 Post by knives » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Given what you like about this one you would be doing yourself a major favor by watching the ‘90s series which thematically focuses on just those things you are talking about.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#17 Post by soundchaser » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 am

I plan to get to the whole series eventually, and yes, I’m really looking forward to the 90s trilogy! Thanks for adding to my excitement.

Orlac

#18 Post by Orlac » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:06 am

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 pm
Gamera: The Giant Monster -It’s certainly not without its faults (lookin’ at you, American Air Force actors),
Oh, they are precious!

"Calling all fighter pwanes!"

"Hmm, huge toitle...60 metres...what's going on around here?"
"I dunno sir...apparently a huge turtle just made his appearence"

Such heights of brilliance wouldn't be seen again until Major Spielberg and friend in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah!

Orlac

#19 Post by Orlac » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:09 am

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 pm
Gamera: The Giant Monster - Unsurprisingly, the child is right about Gamera: he doesn’t want to be bad, and shooting him will do no one any good. He’s lonely, just wants friends, etc.
I dunno, there is that brutal scene of Gamera incinerating a crowd of people with his flame breath. Talk about friendly fire!

There are times in the first film where Gamera looks downright terrifying!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#20 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm

This is now unavailable pretty much everywhere, as I found when the place I ordered it from a couple of weeks ago canceled the order. HMV seems to be the one store that definitely has it in stock, but they only ship within the UK. A standard edition will be released eventually, presumably without all the non-disc accoutrements. Well, maybe a box.

colinr0380

#21 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Calvin

#22 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:55 am

Toho Kingdom have an interview with James Flower

I wasn't sure whether to splash the cash on this one but the fear of missing out was getting too much and, to cut a long story short, my copy arrived yesterday! My first impressions are that this is a great achievement by Arrow and producer James Flower. The packaging of the set, as well as the physical extras, are extremely high quality and its only rivalled in the Blu-Ray era by Criterion's Ingmar Bergman set.

I was wary because of the general consensus that the films are of a lower overall quality than their Godzilla counterparts, and the Showa Godzilla films certainly had diminishing returns for me. I've only given the first disc, Gamera: The Giant Monster, a spin so far but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I have to agree with everything soundchaser said above, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. The image looked a bit rough on the first film, but I gather that it's at least a 12-year-old transfer that Arrow have done their best with; it's a shame that they didn't/couldn't do a new restoration for this one at least as I'm sure it could look a lot better.

I've discovered in my background reading that Hideaki Anno directed a documentary about the making of Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris that sadly isn't included in the set, but he would team up with its special effects director Shinji Higuchi for Shin Godzilla nearly two decades later.

EddieLarkin

#23 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 am

At the end of the set's big book, James gives a thorough breakdown of all the many different English dubs included on the discs and it's one of more fascinating aspects of the release, and really shows up Toho's attitude of insisting the older Godzilla dubs are consigned to history and forgotten.

smccolgan

#24 Post by smccolgan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31 pm

This sold out at Aroow before I had the nerve to commit - anyone have a lead on where else I might be able to grab a copy without aftermarket prices?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:45 pm

You can still order it on Amazon UK though there's no guarantee they'll fulfill it