The Dead Center

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

The Dead Center

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 am

WHEN JOHN DOE ROSE FROM THE DEAD, HE BROUGHT SOMETHING BACK.

When a very dead suicide victim (Jeremy Childs, Preacher, Nashville) disappears from the morgue, it sets in motion a chain of events that has the power to immolate everything, and everyone, it touches.

Troubled psychiatrist Daniel Forrester (Shane Carruth, Primer, Upstream Color) is drawn to help a mysterious patient who is brought to the emergency psych ward in a catatonic state with no memory of how he reached the hospital. As if to exorcise his own demons, the doctor feverishly tries to break through to his mysterious patient. But as a spate of mysterious deaths shake the ward to its core, Forrester comes to suspect that there is more to his new ward than meets the eye. As he comes to realise what he’s unleashed, a desperate race against the forces of evil threatens to swallow him whole.

The Dead Center is a smart supernatural thriller that explores the demons that live inside all of us from writer-director Billy Senese, recently hailed as a “masterful new voice in terror”.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
  • 5.1 DTS-HD master audio and lossless stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Commentary with writer-director Billy Senese, producer-actor Shane Carruth and co-star Jeremy Childs
  • Commentary with writer-director Billy Senese, producers Denis Deck and Jonathan Rogers, and cinematographer Andy Duensing
  • A Walk Through The Dead Center, an in-depth making-of documentary featuring new interviews with writer-director Billy Senese, producer-actor Shane Carruth, cinematographer Andy Duensing, and many others revisiting the locations and discussing the production
  • Nine deleted scenes, including an alternate ending
  • On-set interviews with actors Shane Carruth and Poorna Jagannathan
  • Head-Casting with Jeremy Childs, a brief look at the creation of the make-up effects seen in the climax of the film
  • Intruder, a short film from 2011 directed by Billy Senese and starring Jeremy Childs
  • The Suicide Tapes, the original short film from 2010 directed by Senese and starring Childs that later inspired The Dead Center
  • Midnight Radio Theater, six chilling radio plays (“Insomnia”, “The Long Weekend”, “Disposable Life”, “The Suicide Tapes”, “The Woman In The Basement”, “Blood Oath”, “Flu”) written, produced and directed by Billy Senese
  • Theatrical trailer and teasers
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring new and original artwork
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors’ booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jamie Graham

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Dead Center

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:37 am

Pretty sneaky cover there, Arrow. I mean, on a "Move units" basis, I get it. But I've never seen an actor credited for the films they wrote and directed on the cover for someone else's work. Also, of all of Shane Carruth's known talents, his acting ranks dead last

Adam X

#3 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 am

Yeah, I was briefly really intrigued as I'd not heard Carruth had made another film, and then I looked more closely at the cover. It looks interesting, but likely not as much as a new Shane Carruth film would be. I do wonder how the actual director's feel about advertising of this kind, though.

The credit's not quite the most reaching I've seen - there's one film I've seen advertised as "from a producer of 'The Walking Dead'" or some other big property.

Calvin

#4 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:33 am

It would be nice if Arrow did release Primer and Upstream Colour. The previous UK releases were by Tartan and Metrodome respectively, both of whom have ceased to exist for all intents and purposes, so the rights should be available.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50 am

Carruth didn't want any supplemental material on the disc for Upstream Color, so a new release wouldn't be any different unless he's changed his mind in the interim

MichaelB

The Dead Center

#6 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am

I still remember the absolute hell of synopsising Primer in 250 words for Sight & Sound. Fortunately I had a DVD to work from, as I honestly don’t know how I’d have done it from a single screening.

(The press notes were useless and there was no detailed material online back then to crib from.)

Calvin

#7 Post by Calvin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50 am
Carruth didn't want any supplemental material on the disc for Upstream Color, so a new release wouldn't be any different unless he's changed his mind in the interim
Interesting, I wonder if he changed his opinion towards extras after Primer or if it's Upstream Colour in particular that he doesn't want bonus material on. Did he ever fix the audio sync issues with the Upstream Color Blu-Ray?

A new release of Primer should be a priority though; I'm sure it can look a lot better than the current DVD transfer (or the 720p download from Carruth's site).

To try and steer myself on topic, has anybody here seen The Dead Center? Does it bear any resemblance to Carruth's own works?