The Hills Have Eyes Part 2

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:26 pm

The hills are once again alive with the sound of screaming in Wes Craven’s hugely entertaining follow-up to his own groundbreaking 1977 The Hills Have Eyes.

A motocross team on their way to trial a new super-fuel head out across the desert lead by Rachel, who, unbeknownst to the rest of the group, is a survivor of the cannibal clan which menaced the Carter family several years before. Opting to take an ill-advised shortcut across the desert, the busload of youngsters drive straight into the path of the remnants of Rachel’s demented cannibal kin - the menacing Pluto, and a hulking, blood-hungry brute by the name of The Reaper.

Made by Wes Craven immediately prior to his smash-hit A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes Part II diverges from the grim tone of its predecessor in favour of fun action-horror thrills and spills replete with mutants, motorbikes, and - oh yes - dog flashbacks!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed mono audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
Blood, Sand, and Fire: The Making of The Hills Have Eyes Part II - brand new making-of documentary featuring interviews with actor Michael Berryman, actress Janus Blythe, production designer Dominick Bruno, composer Harry Manfredini and unit production manager/first assistant director John Callas
Still gallery
Original Theatrical Trailer
6 Postcards
Reversible fold-out Poster
Limited Edition 40-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Amanda Reyes and an archival set visit from Fangoria
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Hills Have Eyes Part 2

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:57 pm

My thoughts excerpted from my longer post watching all four of the films in this series
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 am
The original and sequel certainly bear plenty of Craven hallmarks, like his obsession with unlikely booby traps, and both films feature the RL Stine-ish bon mot “human french fries.” Speaking of, the sequel, the Hills Have Eyes Part 2, has a reputation for being so stuffed with flashbacks that even the dog gets one, but while the latter part is accurate, the flashbacks barely constitute four minutes total (if that), so their (over)use has been grossly inflated. The story here is even dumber than before, and the film is more of a slasher cash-in (with a bit of Mad Max) than continuance of the tone of the first. But the goofier characters here made it far more palatable, especially the (blind!) Final Girl who wears a sweater adorned with the letter B even though her name is Cass. I wish I lived in a world where this actually was Wes Craven’s worst movie like its detractors claim, but I found it better than at least half of the films I’ve seen by Craven, and it’s only just barely a lesser film than the first.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Hills Have Eyes Part 2

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Confusingly, the one entry you described liking in this series is the other The Hills Have Eyes Part 2