Torso

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Torso

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by Arrow Films

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of both versions of the film: the 94-minute Italian and 90-minute English cuts

• Original lossless Italian and English mono soundtracks*

• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack

• New audio commentary by Kat Ellinger, author of All the Colours of Sergio Martino

• New video interview with co-writer/director Sergio Martino

• New video interview with actor Luc Merenda

• New video interview with co-writer Ernesto Gastaldi

• New video interview with filmmaker Federica Martino, daughter of Sergio Martino

• New video interview with Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film

• 2017 Abertoir International Horror Festival Q&A with Sergio Martino

• Italian and English theatrical trailers

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Adrian Smith and Howard Hughes * The English audio track on the original, longer cut has some portions of English audio missing. English audio for these sections was either never recorded or has been lost. As such, these sequences are presented with Italian audio, subtitled in English.

colinr0380

Re: Torso

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:15 pm

That will probably have to be a US-only release, since it is already out on Blu-ray from Shameless in the UK.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Yes, it's US/CA

Mr Sausage

#4 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm

A strange example of a movie that is worth watching, but only for the last 15 minutes. If this had been a short film, it’d be a horror masterwork. At full length, it’s a middling-to-poor giallo with a crackerjack ending.

I still think Martino’s best giallo is All the Colours of the Dark, which probably also wins the best-ever-horror-title award.

Altair

#5 Post by Altair » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I mean, I quite like the film overall, but the climax, as you say, is so outstanding, so tense upon first viewing, that it elevates a good giallo to the extraordinary level. Probably the finest 'woman-in-peril' sequence ever made.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Wait Until Dark =;

Gerald Christie

#7 Post by Gerald Christie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Sweet, another giallo! I gotta say, I usually for the most part like Arrow's commissioned artwork but this one is beyond terrible. I find it even more disappointing considering it's from the same artist that did the terrific one for What Have You Done To Your Daughters? He should have done something simpler with the killer's mask or something.
I'm a bit torn on what to do with this one. I'm a huge fan of Sergio Martino and I honestly have no problem placing him with gialli greats such as Argento and Fulci. That being said, not considering the dreadful The Suspicious Death of a Minor which is more of hybrid, this is easily Martino's weakest giallo. In a genre that isn't exactly great in its treatment of women this one is so misogynistic, sleazy and exploitative making a bit problematic for me. It's the same reason I could never get into What Have You Done to Solange? It's just so gratuitous with the sexual component, taking the erotic violence inherit to the genre to extremes and IMO leading it into exploitation territory.
My other issue with the film is the fact is the schizophrenic structure in terms of tone with the first half playing as a slasher film and the second the more traditional giallo with its tension and suspense. The film starts with a pretty good opening, but the middle sections while entertaining tend to drag a bit before leading into a terrific second half and finale. IMO, the latter part is what makes the film and places it among the best of the genre.

black&huge

#8 Post by black&huge » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:33 am

Really ? This is some of the best cover art I've ever seen. I've seen this film numerous times, love it but the cover gave me the feeling that I wanna blind buy this even having seen it already

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:02 am

I still love the Italian title of this film: "Their Bodies Bear Traces Of Carnal Violence"! It's not quite "Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key", but it is getting close!

The extended climax with Suzy Kendall isolated and menaced through the villa really seems like it is influenced by The Bird With The Crystal Plumage and is trying to expand out the single scene there, which also featured Kendall, into an entire last act of a film.

I like this cover just on its own merits, but if you think this is bad spare a thought for those of us with the UK Shameless one:

Adam X

#10 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 am

I think the most disappointing element of that Shameless cover is they left off their DVD tagline - "Where whores meet saws!"
If that doesn't sell the film, I dunno what will...

No doubt the new scan'll look stunning next to at least Blue Underground's release - I've never really understood what the big deal was about this film, that's much more of a proto-slasher than a giallo (as the term's used in the English-speaking West anyway), complete with a finale weirdly similar to the same year's Black Christmas. It has some great sequences, but on the whole I find the film somewhat clunky & flat. Still, there's something to it, cause this'll be the third time I've bought the damn film.

I second Mr Sausage's love for All the Colours of the Dark, though - that's a wonderful film; though I wonder with Torso being released whether that means Arrow's actually working on Waterworld (of all things!) & Crimson Peak, or maybe at least the first of those was just a red herring.

Glowingwabbit

#11 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 am

I wonder given their partnership with Shameless if we'll be able to see future US/CA releases of All the Colours in the Dark and Four Flies on Grey Velvet. Not sure who has the US rights.

M Sanderson

#12 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 am

More Martino can only be a great thing, provided the colours are intact. Arrow’s Your Vice... & the recent Shameless releases were all irreparably faded. You’d actually hope Arrow could re-do the recent Shameless releases, but would have fingers crossed until you saw the finished product.

Arrow’s Case of the Scorpion’s Tail looked superb. A relatively uneven film, with sublime moments that certainly tightens its grip as it gains late momentum. Martino is best when piling on Gothic atmosphere, and weakest with glamorous high life/travelogue/adventure. Although, he combined all aspects wonderfully in the “hidden treasure” scene, scuba diving to an underwater cave, alone with a killer...

nitin

#13 Post by nitin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:40 am

Your Vice wasn’t irreparably faded, it was just released with Ritrovata colours before Arrow started to regrade/do their own grading on some of the Italian titles.

M Sanderson

#14 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Correction, yes Your Vice had the weird colour timing, strange black and yellows, and Suspicious Death of a Minor was faded.