Climax

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Climax

#51 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:37 am

I genuinely wonder if Noé cares about what he shows in Climax. I'm not saying it's not there, and I totally understand your point about aestheticizing all this, I just wonder if Noé realises what he's doing or if the movie and his work on it are that superficial.
The kid bit notably seemed to me treated extremely superficially, notably.

Slaphappy

#52 Post by Slaphappy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:33 am

Noé's interview on Arrow release was fun. He enthusiastically and slightly trollishly explained how he was inspired by catastrophe movies like Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure on making the first half of the movie is about introducing the cast and while the second half is about worrying what will happen to your favorite characters (as if he didn’t realize that many probably find the whole bunch somewhat repulsive and enjoy their demise).

The concept of Climax is pretty grueling, but sadly the implementation did not quite pay off. There are just too many characters and too much repetitive running around and freaking out. It cracked me up when a friend of mine told me yesterday, that Emanuel Swedenborg only liked those books in Bible that have a strong innerspace quality. I suppose that I can say the same about Gaspar Noé’s movies and surprisingly Climax does not qualify to that category. Still, I appreciate the effort of coming up with this mess.

I liked the ending best.
SpoilerShow
That German girl was my favorite from the start and she seemed to have such a great time that I should have guessed she was the culprit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm

The US Blu-ray release of this is a burned BD-R

Lost Highway

#54 Post by Lost Highway » Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 am

Slaphappy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:33 am
I liked the ending best.
SpoilerShow
That German girl was my favorite from the start and she seemed to have such a great time that I should have guessed she was the culprit.
SpoilerShow
I saw Climax at a festival screening in Berlin in a huge, sold out cinema. The only enjoyable moment for me was the crowd cheering the final reveal.

Slaphappy

#55 Post by Slaphappy » Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 am

Lost Highway wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 am
SpoilerShow
I saw Climax at a festival screening in Berlin in a huge, sold out cinema. The only enjoyable moment for me was the crowd cheering the final reveal.
Heh, I saw Fly Rocket Fly in Munich Film Festival last year. I think Germany was referred in shady light couple times, which got enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.

Lost Highway

#56 Post by Lost Highway » Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am

Slaphappy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 am
Lost Highway wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 am
SpoilerShow
Heh, I saw Fly Rocket Fly in Munich Film Festival last year. I think Germany was referred in shady light couple times, which got enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.
SpoilerShow
Everybody loves a bad girl out for a good time and Berlin long had a hedonistic and a counter culture vibe, which is what she represents.
Apart from the rise of right wing populism, which is making inroads here like almost anywhere else, due to the humbling lessons learned after WWII, nationalism and patriotism are still frowned on here. Nazis like von Braun and those supporting him, would not be seen as representing Germany and are loathed, if that was what the shade was about.