The Endless

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

colinr0380

The Endless

#1 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:47 am

Arrow Films wrote:Among the most exciting voices in genre cinema to emerge in recent years, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead return with their third feature, The Endless.

Benson and Moorhead play brothers, former members of a “crazy UFO death cult”, who receive a mysterious video cassette in the mail. The tape contains an eerie calling card from their past, inviting them to attend an event called the Ascension. Despite their apprehension, the pair agree to return for one day. At first their old friends in the cult seem warm and welcoming, but things soon turn strange as the brothers find themselves drawn into a vortex of bizarre rituals, strange messages, unseen forces and sinister supernatural secrets that threaten to tear apart the very fabric of reality.

Following on from the acclaimed Resolution – also included on this limited-edition release – and Spring (which earned accolades from Guillermo del Toro and Richard Linklater), The Endless is a truly unique mind-bending, genre-blending indie gem that will leave you spinning.

In UK Cinemas and Digital HD June 29 | On DVD & Ltd Ed Blu-ray July 2
Production Year: 2017 | Region Code: B | UK Rating: 15 | Running Time: 111 mins | Number of Discs: 2 | Language: English | Subtitles: English SDH | Audio: 5.1 | Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 | Colour: Colour
TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of The Endless and Moorhead & Benson’s first feature, Resolution
DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Reversible sleeve with a choice of artwork designs
Limited edition collector’s booklet containing new writing on the films by critics Jamie Graham and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas

DISC ONE: THE ENDLESS
Audio commentary by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead
Brand-new interview with Benson and Moorhead, recorded exclusively for this release
Behind-the-scenes featurette
Breaking the News; Benson and Moorhead pull a practical joke on actor Vinny Curran
Casting Aaron; Benson, Moorhead and producer Dave Lawson audition for the role of Aaron
Casting Smiling Dave; Lawson auditions for the role of Smiling Dave
VFX Breakdown
UFO Cult Comedy; improvised short film made whilst Benson and Moorhead were on the festival circuit
Vinny’s Story; a behind-the-scenes documentary filmed on-set by Curran
Michael Felker; a tongue-in-cheek featurette referencing The Endless’s editor
Seven deleted scenes
Outtakes
Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO: RESOLUTION
Audio Commentary with Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, and actors Peter Cilella and Vinny Curran
Audio Commentary with Benson and Moorhead
Audio Commentary with Carmel the Dog
Brand-new interview with Benson and Moorhead, recorded exclusively for this release
Archive interview with Benson and Moorhead
Behind the scenes featurette
Weird extras: How Resolution Will Help You Have Sex, Shane the Missing Character, Topless Scene, Extended Scene: Lawyer Call and Alternative Ending
Outtakes and unseen footage
Film festival promos
Trailer

oldsheperd

Re: The Endless

#2 Post by oldsheperd » Thu May 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Looking forward to this one. Resolution has been sorely neglected.

M Sanderson

#3 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 am

Got mine, as I heard it was selling out fast. Have no idea what it’s about, but the inclusion of a feature film by the same directors is surely a fabulous inclusion.

The only Benson and Moorhead I’ve seen is the truly unbelievable Skateboarders vs devil worshippers short film masterpiece that was featured in the neglected VHS Viral. One of the most enjoyable anthologised short horrors I’ve ever witnessed.

Lost Highway

#4 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:44 am

This is the best of their three features but I always find the concepts of their movies more interesting than the execution. Both Resolution and Spring started intriguingly but lost me by the second half. The Lovecraftian bodies horrors of Spring for instance made absolutely no sense to me. Even as a love story it never quite worked as the thoroughly contemporary lead actress seemed oddly miscast as
SpoilerShow
an ageless, otherworldly being
. At least The Endless held my interest, even if I'm still not convinced that Benson and Scott are all that. I've seen too many micro-budget sci-fi movies about
SpoilerShow
time loops and time travel,
some of them quite a bit better. While The Endless can be watched on its own, for me its most enjoyable revelation was how it connects to their first feature Resolution.

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 pm

I watched both of these films over the weekend, and while they're far from masterpieces, they're both enjoyable and inventive low, low budget sci-fi movies, with ample wit and creativity. The endings are their weakest points, and as soon as you strip away the mystery of the plots a wave of inconsistencies start flooding in, but there are plenty of small pleasures along the way. I watched The Endless first, so it was a real surprise how closely the two films were related, and I'm not sure it would have necessarily worked better in the 'correct' order.

Definitely worth a punt for the curious, and there are a lot of extras for your money. I've only just started on them, and the first commentary for Resolution is mostly entertaining for the spectacle of one of the cast getting spectacularly drunk during the course of the hour-and-a-half session.

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I've checked out all the extras on this set now. They're a mixed bag (including a joke commentary with a dog that I just couldn't make my way through), but the new interview with the directors about The Endless is a brilliant guide to how to make the most of a tiny, tiny budget. Basically, they figured out the totality of their resources (personal skills, the available location and everything visually interesting in the vicinity, what kind of shots they could and couldn't afford, what CGI they could do themselves) and created the project to fit those needs. Potentially one of the most useful extras of the year.

Robin Davies

#7 Post by Robin Davies » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 pm

zedz wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:08 pm
I've checked out all the extras on this set now. They're a mixed bag (including a joke commentary with a dog that I just couldn't make my way through)
The joke is a bit tiresome but actually that commentary contains the best explanation of the plot. The commentary with the drunk actor was less informative.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:32 am

It appears that the latest film by Moorhead and Benson, Something In The Dirt, is (at least according to Amazon) due to get its UK Blu-ray release on 5th December. Not through Arrow, but I thought it was worth mentioning it in this thread.

DeprongMori

#9 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:27 pm

I haven’t been able to find any comparison reviews of the 2020 UK release of Spring (2014) from 101 Films versus the 2015 Drafthouse US release. Does anyone have any first-hand information?

It appears to add a new 2020 directors’ commentary to the 2014 commentary. Is it worth the double-dip/upgrade?

Also, I can’t quite sort out from the details I’ve found whether the 101 Films release drops the hour+ “Making of…” doc that was on the Drafthouse. (My copy of the Drafthouse release is currently a couple thousand miles away.) Confirmation?