The Boondock Saints

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

dda1996a

Re: Forthcoming: The Boondock Saints

#26 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Overnight is now an even more about male chauvinism and bloated egos thanks to Weinstein. I'm interested in rewatching it

Soothsayer

#27 Post by Soothsayer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
Soothsayer wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:A release of this could almost be redeemed if it included the documentary Overnight.
That would involve paying for it. Not sure redemption is the right term in this case.
True, but I remember few documentaries making me cringe as much as this one did, a true Hollywood cautionary tale. It gives some context as to whyThe Boondock Saints is as bad as it is, in a way the feature would serve as an extra to Overnight. For me it wa§ the first box reason to watch The Boondok Saints, though I didn’t actually make it to the end.
Agreed. Troy Duffy was so frustrating that I barely made it through Overnight (can't say I made it all the way through Boondock Saints). Mark Wahlberg doesn't come out looking too sweet either.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Gregory wrote:A few years back, here, I wrote a little about Overnight and the Carney classroom incident, and shortly after that post I stayed up until about three a.m. watching Overnight for the first time and reading about it. Not planned, but I couldn't stop watching it, and the next day I had Duffy echoing in my brain, leaving me wondering if I'd dreamed or imagined certain parts of it.

Domino, knowing that you're a fan of Jon Wurster characters, you definitely have to watch "the whole train wreck." Duffy is so close to Philly Boy Roy (both the hubris and some of Roy's more absurd cinematic visions) that people should call him Boston Boy Troy.
Dammit, sold! And I suspect your linked post is how I even knew the Carney incident happened-- though like any good longtime Criterion Forum user, I deeply miss the entertainment that Carney's Mailbag used to give us before he closed up shop

aox

#29 Post by aox » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm dying to see this documentary now, but it isn't up to stream on Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, or Youtube.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#30 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:10 pm

It's available from Netflix's disc service.

KJones77

#31 Post by KJones77 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am

Lol now it's coming to disc.

Ribs

Re: The Boondock Saints

#32 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Yes, that's why we made the thread.

CSM126

#33 Post by CSM126 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:04 pm

The only justification for this is if every extra is devoted to openly pondering how something so awful was ever allowed to exist. Or I’d settle for a commentary track of the director sobbing “I’m sorry” repeatedly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 pm

This appears to contain literally only the same on-disc extras as the original Blu-Ray (actually fewer, since no screenplay on Arrow's disc)... why is this an Arrow release (now asked for a different reason)?

Big Ben

#35 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 pm

domino harvey wrote:This appears to contain literally only the same on-disc extras as the original Blu-Ray (actually fewer, since no screenplay on Arrow's disc)... why is this an Arrow release (now asked for a different reason)?
You get the satisfaction of paying a boutique label extra money for something you could have gotten cheaper somewhere else. Brag to your friends that you bought this shitty movie for more than they did!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 pm

At least it comes with a new Ed Hardy cover