My Life as a Dog

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

My Life as a Dog

#1 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am

Nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay), My Life as a Dog has become a perennial arthouse favourite. A bittersweet portrait of growing up in Sweden in the late 1950s, the film continues to speak to audiences more than 30 years after its release.

Based on Reidar Jönsson’s autobiographical novel, My Life as a Dog focuses on Ingemar (a remarkable performance from 11-year-old Anton Glanzelius), who is sent to the country to live with his uncle. An escape from his turbulent home life – and his terminally ill mother – the rural town brings adventure, eccentricity, growing pains, and friendship with tomboy Saga (Melinda Kinnaman, Modus).

Directed by Lasse Hallström, the success of My Life as a Dog brought him international recognition. Previously best-known for his collaborations with ABBA, having been responsible for most of their music videos as well as ABBA: The Movie, Hallström would soon pursue a Hollywood career, his later films including What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Cider House Rules and Hachi: A Dog's Tale.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations, transferred from original film materials and approved by director Lasse Hallström
• Original 1.0 mono audio
• Optional English subtitles
• Come On Then! (Kom igen, nu'rå!), a 1981 TV film by Hallström about a 35-year-old footballer (played by Swedish pop star Robert Broberg) looking back over his life
• Original theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Peter Walsh

Banasa

Re: My Life as a Dog

#2 Post by Banasa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm

The cover for My Life as a Dog seems to occupy the same universe as the Phenomena

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:21 pm

And Donnie Darko too. Same artist, it seems.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:20 pm

I think I'll probably get this just for "Come On Then!", sight unseen, which is a different early TV film from the one on the Criterion edition of My Life As A Dog (that was "Shall We Go To Your Place... or My Place...or Each Go Home Alone"!). According to imdb it runs just under forty minutes.

I keep harping on about this whenever Lasse Hallström comes up, but I'd really love it if a boxset of his early 'relationship drama' films could get released sometime (Happy We, Father To Be, A Lover and His Lass), as they're wonderful works. Also I'm curious about why Tuppen (aka The Rooster, or "The Cock"!) appears to have disappeared from view somewhat, as that feels a little like the World War Two-set bridge between the contemporary sex and relationship drama and the slightly later period set My Life As A Dog!