House: The Complete Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: House: The Complete Collection

#26 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:01 am

The fact is 99% of at least the first 3 movies looked pretty centered to me.
On the other hand, there are many movies with technical goofs such as a crew member being in frame while he shouldn't, and I don't see why House should be outside the realm of such a possibility.

In any case, the theoretical question remain : why the Arrow / Lakeshore IP-based restorations (Hellraiser x 3, House x 4, Dillinger, Creepshow 2, Crimes of Passion) all show the same kind of "zoomed out" framing pattern which, sometimes, yield technical issues ?

But from a much more down-to-earth technical point of view, again, Hellraiser 3 and the 3 first House movies are totally different beasts in terms of effects of the reframing. You can't miss it on Hellraiser 3 while it's extremely easy to overlook on House 1, and even more so on House 2 and 3.

MichaelB

Re: House: The Complete Collection

#27 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

tenia wrote:On the other hand, there are many movies with technical goofs such as a crew member being in frame while he shouldn't, and I don't see why House should be outside the realm of such a possibility.
A crew member is very clearly visible in Francesco Rosi's Three Brothers at the start of the sequence where the little girl is exploring the granary. So much so that when I oversaw Arrow's version I checked previous releases (he was visible in those as well) and looked into the logistics of cropping him out, but it proved impossible without completely wrecking the shot - the crew member occupies a fair chunk of the bottom right of the frame, so you'd have to zoom in so much as to destroy the composition. I imagine that's why Rosi himself didn't do it, as I'm sure his editor must have spotted it during post-production.

(See also the audible compromises between Rosi's desire for more realistic direct sound in the sequences involving non-professional actors, and Philippe Noiret needing to be dubbed into Italian).