The Kids in the Hall / Death Comes to Town

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Kids in the Hall / Death Comes to Town

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Finally confirmed:
CoastReporter wrote:TORONTO - The Kids in the Hall are venturing to North Bay, Ont., for a goofy murder-mystery miniseries that's set to air in January on CBC.

Producers say cameras started rolling Monday for "Death Comes to Town," a suspenseful, eight-part comedy starring members of the comical Toronto-based troupe.

Dave Foley, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney and Scott Thomson also co-wrote the program, about the murder of a high-profile citizen in Shuckton, Ont.

McCulloch is an executive producer for the project and also conceived the idea for the program, the troupe's first together in 15 years.

The actors will each play multiple roles, and producers say that may include some characters from the original "Kids in the Hall" series.

Characters created for the miniseries include Shuckton's mayor and his alcoholic wife, a "germ-gel" sniffing town criminal, a pizza delivery woman with Alzheimer's, and a 600-pound ex-hockey star.

The central character is named Death.

Principal photography is scheduled to continue in North Bay until early October.

The miniseries is set for broadcast on CBC in January 2010.

"The Kids in the Hall" sketch comedy series went off the air on CBC in 1994.

Since then, each member has pursued independent projects in Canada and the U.S.

The comedy troupe reunited last year for a cross-Canada comedy tour that had them revive their beloved sketch characters.

In December, Foley also said the Kids are thinking about hitting the big screen with a feature film.

Zumpano

Re: Death Comes to Town (Kids in the Hall miniseries)

#2 Post by Zumpano » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:03 pm

=D>

About fucking time.

Saw them live two years ago and it was like getting back together with longtime friends. And very pleased to say that they still "had it".

Robert de la Cheyniest

#3 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 am

Trailer for Death Comes To Town

I assume HBO or some such cable channel will pick this up to air in the States, right? RIGHT?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am

Apparently there's only three Kids in the Hall now. Whoever edited that together sure plays favorites

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Also this recent skit is amazing. "Oh, there's a name actually"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Watch the first episode online, but only if you're Canadian

Numero Trois

#7 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 pm

I sure hope this fares better than their previous long form attempts. And I don't just mean "Brain Candy." The worst episode from their original show was that one featuring Scott Thompson in his Queen impersonation stuck in a log cabin...

Zumpano

#8 Post by Zumpano » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Coming in August to IFC. Time to petition Broadstripe Cable to bring IFC back...(le sigh)

Zumpano

#9 Post by Zumpano » Mon May 09, 2011 11:35 am

So, this comes out on DVD in America on May 24th. Can anyone tell me how this was?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 am

I watched the first three episodes and it's definitely of a piece with later KITH seasons. Basically a bunch of new reoccuring characters appearing in loosely connected sketches under a larger narrative. It's uneven, but that's their mantra, isnt it? I liked it, but figured I'd just wait for the DVD ( this was back before it aired on IFC)

Zinoviev

#11 Post by Zinoviev » Mon May 09, 2011 7:24 pm

"Uneven" is as good a term as any to describe Death Comes to Town, though it has its moments. I guess it's a natural progression from the kind of work they were doing by Season 5 of the series, but I'm probably in the minority by preferring KiTH's earliest stuff to their later "Sausage" period. (Mercifully, Buddy Cole does not make an appearance.) For what it's worth, I have the entire series and a couple live shows on DVD, but I'm not in any hurry to pick up DCtT.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 pm

"Dipping Areas" is the make-or-break sketch for me with regards as to whether one "gets" the last two seasons or not

Zinoviev

#13 Post by Zinoviev » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 pm

"Oh, well.. I'm new here.. but I think I do like the idea of more dipping areas."

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Double dipping areas:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm

I wonder if they've fixed the sound on these, or if they're just repackaging of the original discs

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Kids in the Hall / Death Comes to Town

#17 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Yes please

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:29 pm

1996 CBC special promoting Brain Candy with a lot of footage from the original cut before the reshoots— there’s some stuff in here I don’t even remember showing up in the workprint that leaked a while back

therewillbeblus

#19 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

What’s the best DVD set of Kids in the Hall out there, Mill Creek?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 pm

No, if you can find the A&E sets, they’re still the best option. Sound volume is overall comparatively low on some of the seasons, but easily adjusted with today’s equipment. Mill Creek’s release is typical cramming into as few discs as possible

therewillbeblus

#21 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 am

I was afraid of that, unfortunately only the first three seasons are reasonably priced individually, and the whole packages of AE discs are are over twice the price of the Mill Creek in the cheapest options I'm seeing. So the question is, just how unbearable is the MC quality..

cdnchris
Site Admin

#22 Post by cdnchris » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:47 am

I mean, it's not ideal, and the packaging is shit, but I think the presentations are fine enough. Haven't watched Death Comes to Town yet.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:15 am

95% of my total exposure to this show was watching these over and over off second gen VHS dub compilations of my favorite sketches, so even Mill Creek would look better. Not sure if they port over the commentaries from the A&E sets but honestly they’re not that great

therewillbeblus

#24 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:40 am

My exposure was primarily on a small crappy TV where faces were cut off on the sides because of formatting, so same- (un?)fortunately my eye has been trained to be more sensitive to PQ, but these shows rarely demand the same standards due to nostalgia

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:42 am

In the wake of the news of Brain Candy making its way to Blu-ray, I stumbled upon this lengthy article from last year on the film, which had a lot of info I hadn't heard before about the movie. Enjoyed these What ifs too:
“One idea that we played with for a bit was that we were the losing team to the Harlem Globetrotters, going on the road and losing to them every night,” McDonald says. “That wasn’t really serious.”

Two ideas they seriously considered were “The Asshole,” in which McDonald would have played an overly polite cop who went undercover as … an asshole, to catch a serial killer targeting only assholes; and “Ship Full of Cowards,” a World War II satire in which a boat attempting to flee combat is commandeered by a tough-guy sergeant played by McKinney (a character who appears in a different form in Brain Candy).
It's hard to imagine any of those sustaining beyond the length of a sketch, but I really like the basic joke of the Asshole's premise