Heroes

Discuss TV shows old and new.
milk114

Heroes

#1 Post by milk114 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm

My wife and I watched the two seasons of Heroes in less than a week. That was faster than we watched any other show (and we've watched a lot of tv on dvd over the last year, not having cable for a long while).

Anyone else enjoy this show? I don't think it'll have the same lasting impact as other sci-fi dramas ala Twin Peaks or Lost, but I think its engaging nonetheless, especially on DVD when you get resolution right away. I fall on the side of trades/collections for comics and can see where that comes in handy on a show like this. I don't know that we'll end up watching this season as it rolls out in part because we have no one to talk with about it.

That social function of tv watching is compelling... my roommates and I would watch Lost each week and compare our pet theories with the new information we received. My old coworkers and I would talk about sunday's football games. Right now I don't know anyone else who watches Heroes or who cares enough about it to bring it up in conversation, and though thats not reason enough to not watch, it doesn't help.

I want resolution on what the older generation's powers are before introducing new characters. But that's just me.
Last edited by milk114 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LQ

#2 Post by LQ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:27 am

I blew through the first season of Heroes at top speed, too. It was really engaging and exciting...in fact I'd say it probably ranks as one of my favorite "first seasons" ever, for any show. The way it balanced so many characters and plotlines was amazing, just as good as Lost, even... However, the second season lost me. Those wonder-twins did nothing to fuel my interest, and were given waay too much screen time early on. Hiro's trip to feudal Japan was straight-up dull, and I couldn't care less about Claire and her little boyfriend. There were some great moments in season 2 but overall, I'm not going to be paying any interest to 3rd season or those spinoffs (..?)

Did you also think season 2 fell off a bit, or were you just as riveted?

Antoine Doinel

#3 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 pm

I really got into Season 1, but I was hugely disappointed with the seaon finale and thought the final showdown with Petrilli and Sylar was a big letdown and way too short. And then the first five episodes of Season 2 I thought were awful and I stopped watching. A friend of mine says the season corrected itself midway through and got a lot better so I guess I'll catch up with it at some point, but for me, the series is big on promise but hasn't yet lived up to it.

broadwayrock

#4 Post by broadwayrock » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:A friend of mine says the season corrected itself midway through and got a lot better so I guess I'll catch up with it at some point, but for me, the series is big on promise but hasn't yet lived up to it.
I wouldn't say that it corrected itself, while the later episodes were far more dramatic they use some really cheap get out clauses to patch up plot problems.

Season 3 brings back Sylar in full, but there is a plot development that is likely to be abused like Claire's and The Haitian's powers were in the first two seasons:
SpoilerShow
Mohinder Suresh develops a vaccine that gives anyone super powers.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:I really got into Season 1, but I was hugely disappointed with the season finale and thought the final showdown with Petrilli and Sylar was a big letdown and way too short. And then the first five episodes of Season 2 I thought were awful and I stopped watching.
Ditto exactly. Except I haven't been persuaded to give it another try. What I loved about season 1 is that it moved. Developments happened every week. Which is nice when the only other primetime drama you regularly watch is "Lost," in which nothing ever happens until sweeps.

milk114

#6 Post by milk114 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:33 pm

I was intrigued by the 'sins of the fathers' aspect of season 2 enough to enjoy it. I want to know what their powers are and what, apart from setting up the company, they actually accomplished.

I agree that introducing new characters who aren't that engaging isn't really necessary. But I think the writers had enough of a vision as to where they were going for Volume 3: Villians that Maya's story is a teaser for other "heroes" doing bad things for the greater good (just like the previous generation). From the first episode I was getting a Niki/Paulo vibe.

I did like the growth of some of the heroes powers though... there's so many uses for a lot of those powers.

I think Season 2 kinda gets a pass for being so short... it did feel like the first few episodes were slow only for things to later play catch-up. It's also weird watching only 3 epis per disc... did they really have to stretch thing to 4 discs for the price point?

dx23

#7 Post by dx23 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Matt wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:I really got into Season 1, but I was hugely disappointed with the season finale and thought the final showdown with Petrilli and Sylar was a big letdown and way too short. And then the first five episodes of Season 2 I thought were awful and I stopped watching.
Ditto exactly. Except I haven't been persuaded to give it another try. What I loved about season 1 is that it moved. Developments happened every week. Which is nice when the only other primetime drama you regularly watch is "Lost," in which nothing ever happens until sweeps.
Ditto with Season 1. I really enjoyed it a lot and I'm also in the boat that only watches Lost in primetime. I only saw 3 episodes of Season 2 and have decided to watch the rest on Blu Ray.

This show suffered the sophmore slump, but it also had a lot to do with the WGA strike, although the writers of the show also failed in developing compelling storylines and for some reason began spewing CW-style teen drama and characters that nobody asked for.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Heroes

#8 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm