The Venture Bros

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Steven H

Re: The Venture Bros

#26 Post by Steven H » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 am

This is what I get for relying completely on this place and Facebook for my Venture Bros. news. Thank, knives, the Halloween special was hilarious.

Polybius

#27 Post by Polybius » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm

New season starts tonight at midnight.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:00 pm

I found the first episode of this season to be a bit overlong, a bit under-funny, but at least they were back to super science, which has been my primary complaint about the show post-season 3. Where's the fucking science?

Episode two was a marked improvement. While I didn't really laugh out loud, it did a good job of handling multiple plots and keeping a good pace. In season 4, it occasionally felt like the "old" episodes, albiet, a bit forced, with side-plots that had fast, quick-witted dialog that weren't related to the plot. Like my favorite episodes of the show, this last one was quick, ended suddenly and, dare I say, without a full resolution that I feel they over-strive for nowadays?

Is Patrick Warburton off the show now by the way? Brock wasn't in the Halloween special they did, and left the start of episode 1 abruptly. Quite frankly, the line delivered really didn't sound like Patrick, and it kinda seemed like they killed him off.

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#29 Post by Anhedionisiac » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Honestly, I thought the first episode was nothing short of brilliant.
As for Warburton, he's not off the show, that's his voice. It's just that Publick and Hammer made the unusually daring decision to use Brock very sparingly so as to shake things up.

Polybius

#30 Post by Polybius » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Some nice moments in last night's episode
SpoilerShow
St. Cloud and Billy Quizboy arguing over whether Billy's Rusty Venture lunchbox was Very Fine or Near Mint; Billy hilarious dream; all the little Brocks on the beach when Hatred called him; Pete objecting when Billy used "irregardless" in a sentence in a moment of overexcitement (he corrected himself a second later.)

In short, a lot of the things that I look for in this show at it's best. I don't usually enjoy Monarchless episodes this much.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Polybius wrote:Some nice moments in last night's episode
SpoilerShow
St. Cloud and Billy Quizboy arguing over whether Billy's Rusty Venture lunchbox was Very Fine or Near Mint; Billy hilarious dream; all the little Brocks on the beach when Hatred called him; Pete objecting when Billy used "irregardless" in a sentence in a moment of overexcitement (he corrected himself a second later.)

In short, a lot of the things that I look for in this show at it's best. I don't usually enjoy Monarchless episodes this much.
Jeez, me and my buddy who turned me onto this show feel like Monarch has gotta go. I don't think anybody has run their course worse than he has! To each their own.

MongooseCmr

#32 Post by MongooseCmr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:29 pm

I finally got around to watching this again for the first time since S4 aired, and while I can happily say it holds up and stayed enjoyable for the two new-to-me seasons, it's an immensely frustrating show to like. After season 2 they never quite managed to balance all the shows elements. Some later episodes do certain things better, but overall the mix of adventure serial (played straight or for satire), worldbuilding, and the more character driven stuff with the Venture family is always lacking in at least one direction. Even watching all ~60 episodes over the course of this week makes me feel a bit unsatisfied with the rate of filling in backstories and depicting the boys growing up. I could really do without the played straight Guild stuff
Drucker wrote: Jeez, me and my buddy who turned me onto this show feel like Monarch has gotta go. I don't think anybody has run their course worse than he has! To each their own.
For me it was Orpheus, and although I was glad to see him go in the last season the complete lack of explanation for what happened to him is indicative of my problems with it overall. All these characters don't seem to get the screentime they need, unless they have one shtick being beat into the ground like the Monarch in the first few seasons

Polybius

#33 Post by Polybius » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:19 am

I'm just easily entertained sometimes. I love the Monarch-Dr. My Wife relationship in all of it's permutations and I also adore the fact that the Monarch is so obsessed with Dr. Venture while Rusty has absolutely no idea why.

What A Disgrace

#34 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:45 am

This show has been officially cancelled.

knives

#35 Post by knives » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:52 am

Dang. I hope they get one last special to tie up those final loose ends at least.

Kracker

#36 Post by Kracker » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 am

nah nah cant end like that. We were talking the other day on how and why we like Venture Bros so much more than Rick and Morty (another satire)

Adult Swim tweeted that they are working with Jackson and Doc to continue Venture Bros. somehow. Variety wrote that sources suggested it could go to HBO Max. Maybe the spending three years on a season is no longer working for them with the changes television is going through (and why Rick and Morty is now cutting down their time between seasons)