Seinfeld

Discuss TV shows old and new.
oldsheperd

#1 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:50 am

I'm just trying to get an idea about the upcoming boxsets. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should get these. They are in syndication and I've seen them like a million times, but the extras look pretty cool. Is anyone else getting these?

g30

#2 Post by g30 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:25 pm

They are in non-stop syndication making it very hard to justify the purchase. As a big fan of the show I thought that I would definitely buy these sets when they came out.

Now that they're out I'm not really interested at all.

oldsheperd

#3 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:36 pm

I have a hard time buying tv shows on dvd. The only ones I have ar Mr. Show, Chappelle's SHow, Arrested Development and Bottom.

foofighters7

#4 Post by foofighters7 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:07 pm

if theres ever been a TV show you buy its this.
Simpsons is next, but Seinfeld is NUMBER 1.

I have seen every episode many many many times, but I will watch the hell out of these, that I am sure.

I cant wait.

filmfan

#5 Post by filmfan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:43 am

I picked up the box set issue already. I'm starting to weed through the set today.

What's good about these shows is that they are THE ORIGINAL LENGTH AS ORIGINALLY BROADCAST...which means NOT the cut for syndication versions.

YES, it's worth it. Who wouldn't want a dvd set for a Tv show about "nothing" ?

oldsheperd

#6 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:54 pm

Wat am I thinking?! My last name is Costanza, I am destined to buy this. Plus, even though I find some of the early shows pretty lackluster, Th Library is on it. Masterful Phillip Baker Hall performance.

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:14 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Wat am I thinking?! My last name is Costanza, I am destined to buy this. Plus, even though I find some of the early shows pretty lackluster, Th Library is on it. Masterful Phillip Baker Hall performance.
Bookman!!! Such a great episode. "... with the pee pees and the wee wees...."

oldsheperd

#8 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:48 pm

I will definitely buy Roseanne when it comes out on dvd. I know that for sure. My favorite tv show ever.

manicsounds

#9 Post by manicsounds » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:32 pm

Seinfeld is definitely a great buy, just look at all the extras, commentary, outtakes etc. A Seinfeld fan's Holy Grail. And also for the casual viewer too.

filmfan

#10 Post by filmfan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:04 am

g30 wrote:They are in non-stop syndication making it very hard to justify the purchase. As a big fan of the show I thought that I would definitely buy these sets when they came out.

Now that they're out I'm not really interested at all.
Recently I've stopped watching the syndication offerings of "Seinfeld"; suffering from the burnout one gets when you can watch a show daily for sometimes like 4 times a day if you want to; my substitution is "Raymond".

However, this is a BRAND NEW EXPERIENCE. Again you will be stunned into interest with the sound, vibrant picture transfer, the viewer friendly features AND the originally broadcast FULL LENGTH versions of the show.

I even thought that the early shows were a little weak...but this experience even blows that impression away. It's a truly enjoyable experience ALL AROUND. Run don't walk to your store on Tuesday.
Bookman wrote: Such a great episode. "... with the pee pees and the wee wees...."
This was the first show I put on to view in the set! I don't know if this routine was scripted or improvised just a touch, but it's astoundingly funny !

LOTS of value too for the viewers...each dvd of shows has one show devoted to deleted scenes...NOT outtakes now...scenes deleted from the show for various creative reasons that will become apparent.

Also included is an overview of the shows w/ interviews concerning interesting stories about the shows, from the stars, Larry David and the writers. Various other features, Tv promos, a couple of Jerry's Johnny Carson performances, etc. The transfers are RICH with color, and NO comparison to the syndication versions !

A great value...I picked up the deluxe box with all 3 seasons and the knick-knacks, etc. !

As per amazon.com, Video extras include:

Available subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), French (Dolby Digital 2.0), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0)
Commentary by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld on The Stake Out, The Deal, The Pen, and The Pez Dispenser

Commentary by Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Michael Richards on The Revenge, The Busboy, The Subway, and The Boyfriend parts 1 and 2

Commentary by writer Larry Charles on The Heart Attack The Baby Shower, The Library, and The Limo

Commentary by director-producer Tom Cherones and production designer Tom Azzari on The Parking Garage and The Parking Space

41 episodes from the first three seasons on eight discs: The Seinfeld Chronicles (pilot), The Robbery, The Stake Out, Male Unbonding, The Stock Tip, The Ex-Girlfriend, The Pony Remark, The Jacket, The Phone Message, The Apartment, The Statue, The Revenge, The Heart Attack, The Deal, The Baby Shower, The Chinese Restaurant, The Busboy, The Note, The Truth, The Pen, The Dog, The Library, The Parking Garage, The Cafe, The Tape, The Nose Job, The Stranded, The Alternate Side, The Red Dot, The Subway, The Pez Dispenser, The Suicide, The Fix-Up, The Boyfriend (1), The Boyfriend (2), The Limo, The Good Samaritan, The Letter, The Parking Space, The Keys
Featuring the original (1-2 minutes longer) NBC network versions of each episode
Two versions of the pilot episode
Remastered in high definition

Inside Looks: Interviews with the cast and creators about what was happening behind the scenes as the episodes were created and filmed

In the Vault: Saved from the cutting room floor... deleted scenes - never seen!

Not That There's Anything Wrong with That: Never-before-seen-outtakes and bloopers

Master of His Domain: See Jerry in exclusive stand-up comedy footage, shot for the show but never used

Sponsored by Vandelay Industries: Original NBC promotional ads and trailers

Notes About Nothing: Trivia tracks with behind-the-scenes scoop and production notes

How It Began: An hour-long look at how Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David first came up with the idea for the show, how it almost didn't get made and how they emerged with the show that changed the face of television forever

Tonight Show footage

Kramer vs. Kramer: Kenny to Cosmo: meet the real Kramer... Kenny Kramer!

v_konigsberg

#11 Post by v_konigsberg » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm

I really like seinfeld but dont have the money to buy the whole show at once, which season do you think I must begin with?

Cinesimilitude

#12 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm

v_konigsberg wrote:I really like seinfeld but dont have the money to buy the whole show at once, which season do you think I must begin with?
begin with saving up 167.99 and change.

buying the seasons individually now is RETARDED.

Antoine Doinel

Re: Seinfeld

#13 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 am

Jerry Seinfeld is executive producing a new reality show for NBC that will have celebrity judges helping couples with their marital problems.

Highway 61

Re: TV of 2011

#14 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Care to explain Swo? Seinfeld, Curb, golden age Simpsons, Larry Sanders all had more than four quality seasons.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Not that there aren't great individual episodes outside of what I would characterize as the great seasons of these shows, but I've yet to remain completely in love with a comedy show for more than four consecutive seasons.

Seinfeld: Seasons 2-5. I realize I'm in the minority in starting to dislike this show as early as I do, but I just feel like the moment Elaine started curling her hair the show never recovered.
The Simpsons: As I sort of mentioned in another thread earlier, I feel like 3-6 are the only seasons that aren't polluted with at least a handful (if not a barrelful) of you-should-know-better terrible episodes.
Curb is sort of a cheat because the seasons are so short. I'm not a huge enough fan of the show that I'd necessarily call any one season of it wholly great, though if you picked the very best out from each season, you'd probably come up with a few seasons of greatness. No more than four though. :wink:

I am not yet all the way through Larry Sanders though, so we'll see about that one.

Mind you, this is merely an arbitrarily rule that I convinced myself of long ago so as to prevent myself from going overboard in purchasing TV shows on DVD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#16 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:34 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I think you're a little bit too demanding. Seinfeld didn't start to go downhill until Larry David left, you are actually the first person that I've heard [who enjoyed the show at some point in its run] that would bail on it so early. I could cite specific examples of classic episodes, but nearly every Season 6 and 7 episode falls into that category.
I would just point out that my opinion of Seinfeld post-Elaine's wall of hair came before my discovery of the Rule of Four. And I've seen every episode.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

You want to hear crazy? I like the post-David seasons of Seinfeld the best, by far

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:19 pm

*dies*

(Although, The Chicken Roaster might be my favorite episode ever)

Highway 61

#19 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

The post-Larry David seasons aren't bad at all; they're just different. I'd certainly take seasons 8 and 9 over the first three any day. Nothing beats 4-7 though.

And speaking of Seinfeld, am I the only one who fantasizes about what the show could have been if it had been made in the last ten years? That is, a single-camera show without a laugh track and shot (partly) on location. It would have been extraordinary. When I revisit the show today, the laugh track really brings it down a notch.

Cosmic Bus

#20 Post by Cosmic Bus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 am

Highway 61 wrote:And speaking of Seinfeld, am I the only one who fantasizes about what the show could have been if it had been made in the last ten years? That is, a single-camera show without a laugh track and shot (partly) on location. It would have been extraordinary. When I revisit the show today, the laugh track really brings it down a notch.
Wow, this is almost unthinkable to me. There aren't many sitcoms where I find the studio audience as integral to my enjoyment as with Seinfeld.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

It's one of those shows where you feel like you're in the audience, and part of a very special experience. Last season of Curb only validates that suspicion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:19 am

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:50 am

Best ad tonight, although most were crap so it's a low bar.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#24 Post by Shrew » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:44 pm

That was fun, but it does give a sample of what the 3-year-old discussion in this thread about what Seinfeld would be like without the laugh track, and it's definitely not better. Something about the pacing being too tight to let the absurdity sink in and the lack of reaction shots.

Murdoch

#25 Post by Murdoch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Maybe it's just nostalgia but I thought it was hilarious and didn't really miss the audience. Although for certain scenes from the show like George's whale story I can't imagine it without the laughter. Anyway, sorry for rehashing a dead discussion.