TV of 2019

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: TV of 2019

#76 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am
Anybody a fan of Cobra Kai? I am almost positive I haven't seen any of the Karate Kid movies with any sort of interest since I was in single-digits, but the premise was extremely intriguing to me. And finishing the first season I was more than surprised at how it came off in it's execution. The positive side of rebooting something is seeing characters that might have been one-dimensional or uninteresting to the viewer, blossom into something more complex on the other side of how many years has gone between. William Zabka arguably created an archetype of teen movies that went beyond just the 80's, and to see Johnny as a broken-down man, rebuilding himself to what he thinks is a former glory but is really a deeper understanding of himself, is great to watch.
The 2nd season is even better, and gradually ups the stakes, but I fear going into the third season it could paint itself into a corner. That said, it's become a show I'm more invested in that I thought I'd be for certain.

therewillbeblus

#77 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 pm

It appears the Netflix thread is gone, so I’m not sure where to put this, but David Fincher and Robert Towne are working on a Chinatown prequel series for Netflix

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#78 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 pm

This is the right place! Also: gimme

therewillbeblus

#80 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 pm

I'm pretty hot and cold on The Crown, and thought that overall this last season was its worst yet. However episode 7, Moondust, was not only the best of the entire series but one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. The way they combined the moon landing with the trapped feelings of one man, and placed measurable action alongside faith as contrasting determinations of meaningfulness, was intricately and intelligently conceived. The projecting of dreams onto others only to be shattered, as is inevitable, turns into a mirror that reflects light so bright it dissolves the duke's already fragmented self and the final surrender brought tears to my eyes. Combining existentialism and faith so seamlessly is no easy feat, but the successes are so good they are among my favorite films. This is the best attempt made in this area since The Leftovers, though you need to sit through the whole series for the episode to hold the power it does.