Barry

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Re: Barry

#26 Post by Murdoch » Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 pm

I've caught up with the new season and am glad I did. Last episode felt like the Coens directing True Detective's "Who Goes There." It was the best half-hour of television this year. For all the fuss that Game of Thrones' uninspired fan-service battle inspired, it's a shame this was overshadowed.

The most surprising thing of all was Hader showing his strength as a director and writer. I didn't think he had this kind of creative talent in him but he gave series regular Hiro Murai a run for his money.

And on top of all that, it tackled something that had been bugging me throughout the show's run - Fuchs' and Barry's relationship. As much as I love Root, his character felt largely unnecessary to me until now. This episode fleshed out their connection in just a few dream sequences better than the show as a whole has done in its 14 other episodes.

The only unfortunate thing is that the follow-up to this week is unlikely to be anywhere near as good as Hader's episode. Still, if he can pull off a mad romp involving a growling backflipping child and her Taekwondo-trained father fighting Hader across town, I'm sure he has more up his sleeve for this series.

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:15 am

The follow-up will at least feature characters like No-Ho Hank and Gene who were wholly absent from the episode.

flyonthewall2983

#28 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am

...and that it did, but to a lesser degree than I would have liked. The subplot with Gene's son had some real legs to it in previous episodes and I hope it will be revisited for the last two episodes.

denti alligator

#29 Post by denti alligator » Tue May 07, 2019 8:26 am

I basically watch this show to see Hank.

Andre Jurieu

#30 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 pm

After being a little bit disappointed and frustrated by the first season, I have to say that I think the second season has been a significant improvement, in terms of direction and character development. I usually think flash-backs are poorly executed and over-used nowadays, but the show is a rare exception of the tactic actually strengthening the material, mostly because of the immediate juxtaposition between the reality and the fabrication.

flyonthewall2983

#31 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Sarah Goldberg as Sally really delivered on last night's episode, pretty much as she has been this entire season really. Her poolside monologue really broke down her relationship with Barry in such a sad and succinct way.

Andre Jurieu

#32 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 pm

I've really enjoyed Sarah Goldberg's performance much more this season than the last one. During the first season, I thought the character was kind of sketched as a broad stereotype of female actors in LA, which bordered on offensive and was definitely bland and tired from my perspective. They provided her with much more material this season, and while the Sally-narrative remains a little bit typical, it appears that the creators/writers are at least aware of how poorly TV usually presents this type of story (last night's episode really helped).

Of course, as a huge fan of The Good Place I keep hoping they elevate D'Arcy Carden's character, Natalie, beyond just being the Type-A student. It seems like a missed opportunity whenever Carden briefly appears on-screen, so I'm hoping they find a way to develop her character a bit more as the show progresses.

flyonthewall2983

#33 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 am

Last night's finale delivered more on the dread than it did the humor. It was not a poor episode at all, but that balance is what really sets this show apart and hopefully it can be restored in the third season. Overall a really solid season that managed to weave through any problems and rise above expectations.

Andre Jurieu

#34 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

I thought the finale was great. Hader's directing is quite impressive and seems to be continuously evolving. I find the show sometimes side-steps the darker morality that plays out within its narrative in favour of the comedy, so I don't mind that much when it confronts some of the harsher elements of its premise.