Santa Clarita Diet

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Santa Clarita Diet

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:08 am

Anyone seen Timothy Olyphant's new Netflix show? I'm pretty sure I only need one zombie comedy in my life and it's already iZombie, but I could possibly be swayed

jazzo

Re: Justified

#2 Post by jazzo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am

Watched the first episode, and both my wife and I liked it enough to want to try a second, we just haven't yet. Its tone is suitably wonky, and there are a couple of inspired moments (one in particular featuring a info session with the neighbour's teenage son). I just love Olyphant, and is inherent charm goes a long way to powering through stuff, even if its average (which this may or may not be).

Also, Nathan Fillian's in it, and he's having a blast. That's about all I have, though. Still not invested enough to give a proper opinion.

Surprisingly, I did quite enjoy RIVERDALE episode one, which had a pleasant BUFFY/VERONICA MARS vibe to it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:24 am

It is by the guy who did Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Better Off Ted.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 pm

swo17 wrote:It is by the guy who did Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Better Off Ted.
Well, I'm sold. The promo I saw was a little nauseatingly cutesy, and Drew Barrymore gets under my skin more and more as time goes on, but I will watch anything this guy does. Even though this has the worst title of those three shows, and perhaps the worst title of all time

Murdoch

Re: Santa Clarita Diet

#5 Post by Murdoch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:19 am

I'm holding out hope that the show gets better, but two episodes in it's an unfunny chore. Both Olyphant and Barrymore struggle to land their lines, and everything out of them is said in this forced way like they're waiting for a laugh track to kick in. There's not really any set-up to Barrymore being a zombie and the show goes for gross-out humor too much for me (Barrymore vomitting green sludge for a full two minutes got to the point where it felt like filler in an already empty first episode). Disappointing, since I loved Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Better Off Ted.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 pm

It looks like it's got really jaunty/wacky sub-Mothersbaugh score cues after characters say particularly annoying one-liners. Please tell me I'm wrong about this.

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:10 pm

I didn't notice any cues other than the actors pausing a little between lines. Maybe I just didn't notice since I was cringing too much already.

jbeall

#8 Post by jbeall » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:32 pm

I made it through three episodes, but as Murdoch said, it was a chore. Probably not a good sign that Drew Barrymore vomiting for two full minutes was kind of the pilot's highlight. I think the three leads (Olyphant, Barrymore, and the daughter) are all fairly good, but they're stuck with a script that's maybe a third as clever as the writers think it is.

jazzo

#9 Post by jazzo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Agreed. My wife and I barely made it through episode two, and when we did, we just kind of shrugged and said we don't need to do that again. I only require one thing from my comedies, and that is,they be funny. This wasn't. In the slightest.

The only bright spot was Skyler Gisondo as the neighbors' kid. He blew everyone else off screen.

And I retract my Riverdale recommendation. It gets old really fast, and really just made me long for Twin Peaks all over.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

Canceled after three seasons, which is increasingly the norm for Netflix. I thought this was funny though
Timothy Olyphant wrote:I loved working on this show. I’m going to continue coming in and doing scenes. If they don’t want to film it, that’s up to them.