TV of 2016-2017

Discuss TV shows old and new.

copen

Re: TV of 2016

#77 Post by copen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:42 am

The reason to watch this is because of the creator/writer of the show Sharon Horgan, who after a couple of stumbles gave us "Catastrophe" - one of the best sitcoms to come out of u.k. in a long time. She's on a roll. The first episode of Divorce was good, as expected. Although probably like many others, i have conflicting feelings about having to watch SJP for a half an hour every week.

Ribs

#78 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm

As this is the general "TV" thread this seems like the right place despite it just being announced now:

Bonfire of the Vanities to become miniseries event headed by Chuck Lorre of all people

chiendent

#79 Post by chiendent » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:57 pm

Well, "Peak TV" had to end sometime...

The Narrator Returns

#80 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Bryan Fuller's next project is apparently CBS's Star Trek.
Not anymore it isn't

Andre Jurieu

#81 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Matthew Weiner is making plans with Amazon for a news series.

Not sure if this belongs in the Amazon thread, but since it's just news/speculation, I thought I should post it here first.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#82 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:32 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:Matthew Weiner is making plans with Amazon for a news series.

Not sure if this belongs in the Amazon thread, but since it's just news/speculation, I thought I should post it here first.
Why can't anyone write for an entertainment publication anymore without throwing in codas about how happy they'd be to see a reunion/continuation/linkage from a TV show that'a ended in a new project of the creator or an actor - if Elisabeth Moss and Jon Hamm were both spotted at the same charity event, the article would practically boil over with eager fan fiction about how badly they want to see what their characters from Mad Men are up to these days... is this a new phenomenon? Particularly because television reboots have been largely dreadful (looking at Arrested Development squarely in the face), why is it so en vogue to gushingly refuse to leave well enough alone? A new project from Weiner about an entirely different topic has nothing to do with seeing the children of Mad Men characters - let it go, man.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

I wrote this in meter

#83 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 am

Letting it go put me in mind of how Betty let herself go, I do hope January Jones is in the new Amazon show

oh yeah

Re: I wrote this in meter

#84 Post by oh yeah » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:00 am

domino harvey wrote:Letting it go put me in mind of how Betty let herself go, I do hope January Jones is in the new Amazon show
I've always thought January Jones's performance as Betty is really underrated. I never understood the ambivalence people had for her in that.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#86 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:24 am

I haven't clicked your link, but I assume they're all getting Cabinet positions?

D50

#87 Post by D50 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 am

Woodstock was probably the biggest door I ever walked in to. I remember that I was, the influence level of the beat, damn, why did I take LSD before I went on? You know the, the guitar neck, it felt more like an electric snake that wouldn't stand still, that's why I'm making ugly faces trying to make the snake stand still so I can like play it you know. I remember saying over and over, God, I'll never do this again. Ever. If you can just keep me in time and in tune. That's all I ask. That was my first mantra.

- Carlos Santana, ep 5

I was in Cologne airport, and I was thinking, if you’re going to have music, what would be the right kind of music for a place like this. Had to be non-narrative, it can't have beginning, middle, and end. It should be like a river where there's a sort of a consistency to the object itself. That it's never exactly the same from one moment to the next. I studied painting, not music. And, I realized when I was quite young that the most interesting form of painting that you could do now was with sound. With, the synthesizer, we can make a sound that nobody's ever heard before. It's a little bit like if you went to a painter and said, I know you got your box of paints there and you got seven colors of the specturm, but, here's another four thousand colors that you've never seen before. With this new for that we still call music, we should call something else.

- Brian Eno, ep 4

I spent most of the mid sixties not hearing anything I ever sang.

Roger Daltrey, Soundbreaking ep 4

Episode 5 - Four on the Floor

Episode 4 - Going Electric

Episode 3 - The Human Instrument

Episode 2 - Painting with Sound

Episode 1 - The Art of Recording

Soundbreaking

Werewolf by Night

#88 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:59 pm

I've seen two episodes of this show and they've only pissed me off. Extremely superficial and idiosyncratic treatment of music history that jumps from one big (usually white) name to the next (did you know that the history of dance music goes: James Brown - Carlos Santana (?!) - Chic and the Bee Gees - Madonna - Moby? Nothing about Chicago or Detroit house, nothing about Tom Moulton (the man who invented the remix using tape and a razor blade), nothing about much of anything at all. Probably interesting if you know NOTHING about music, but useless otherwise.

D50

#89 Post by D50 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 pm

To me, it's kind of like a Mark Cousins Story of Film only it's music. Same criticism, didn't have time to cover this, he should have covered that. I enjoyed it for what it was, and the comments - like Roger Waters talking about when he first heard Sgt Pepper on the radio and pulled over to listen to it more closely. Priceless.

Werewolf by Night

TV of 2016

#90 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Yes, I meant to make that same comparison and forgot. The interviews are all very good, it's just mystifying what artists they choose to cover. The first episode goes from Elvis and Sam Phillips to the Beatles and George Martin to...Cat Stevens? I'm fully expecting the rap episode to go from The Beastie Boys to Vanilla Ice to House of Pain to Snow to Eminem to Macklemore, casually mentioning NWA, Public Enemy, and De La Soul as "other important voices."

D50

#91 Post by D50 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:22 am

Werewolf by Night wrote:Yes, I meant to make that same comparison and forgot. The interviews are all very good, it's just mystifying what artists they choose to cover. The first episode goes from Elvis and Sam Phillips to the Beatles and George Martin to...Cat Stevens? I'm fully expecting the rap episode to go from The Beastie Boys to Vanilla Ice to House of Pain to Snow to Eminem to Macklemore, casually mentioning NWA, Public Enemy, and De La Soul as "other important voices."
Then there's the 3 episodes remaining. I'm waiting for some Steely Dan.

ianungstad

Re: Netflix Originals

#92 Post by ianungstad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Has FX and the creative team behind Archer filed a lawsuit against Netflix over Pacific Heat yet? Jeez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kgLo8vudXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Murdoch

#93 Post by Murdoch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:46 pm

I can't keep track of all these Netflix originals.

jazzo

#94 Post by jazzo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 am

Hey All.

I'd recommended a sweet little Australian comedy called PLEASE LIKE ME earlier in this thread. It's currently in its fourth season, but the previous three are now available on Netflix here in Canada and, I assume, the US, as well. Hope some of you check it out.

Werewolf by Night

TV of 2016

#95 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:51 pm

It's not on Netflix in the US. It's on Hulu, though.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#96 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 am

swo17 wrote:Does anybody wanna hear about the time I tricked Shania into eating a chicken salad sandwich?
Still waiting.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#97 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:21 am

Werewolf by Night

#98 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:34 pm

If anybody's been on the fence about The Crown, I'd recommend a watch. It's been compared to Downton Abbey a lot, but the two shows share only the most superficial resemblance. Peter Morgan's scripts are very crisp, the performances and direction are generally excellent, and the cinematography is exquisite. Each episode is self-contained, like a one-hour movie, but, obviously, there is a season-long arc as well. The first two Stephen Daldry-directed episodes might be the limpest and weakest, but if you aren't hooked after the third, give it up.

I've seen people call it boring, and I suppose it might be if you're expecting a historical soap opera like Downton or The Borgias. It's in the long tradition of stiff-upper-lip British TV that shows the upper crust trying to keep a lid on their roiling emotions as they suffer slights and indignities and moral dilemmas.

flyonthewall2983

#99 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 pm

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Netflix

#100 Post by ando » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Anyone watch the new Dave Chappelle's stand up show? The dude ain't too funny. I could barely sit through it. He talks about having no actual ideas for new sketches, where he excels (imo), but who came up with this?

Exited about the anime series, One Punch Man. Looks promising. I've really only been impressed by one which came our eons ago - Kino's Journey - mostly because of the Zen-like approach to the individual episodes. While I love the visual concept of Afro Samurai it's not much more than a stale revenge tale (the whole gangster ranking thing was put to better effect in the recently departed Seijun Suzuki's Branded To Kill). My 2 centavos.
Last edited by ando on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.