Magic City

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Magic City

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:43 am

Biggest "The Hell?" of recent memory: Canceled Starz series Magic City is getting a big screen adaptation with all of the original cast PLUS Bruce Willis and Bill Murray?!

hearthesilence

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Remember when directors like Scorsese would use their clout to revive interest in good things? I guess it would be damn foolish to expect the same from Brett Ratner.

John Cope

#3 Post by John Cope » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Wish somebody with clout would have done this for Kelsey Grammer's Starz series Boss. That certainly deserved it.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Eh, that had it's wheels spinning out quite badly towards the end of the 2nd season. Grammer managed to rise above a lot of it, but that could only go so far. I'd like to think there could be a show on the level of The Wire about the ever-prevalent corruption in Chicago, not something that at it's worst only managed to stay slightly ahead of soap operas in terms of ridiculousness.

The show that deserves this type of reboot is Terriers.

John Cope

#5 Post by John Cope » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:26 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Eh, that had it's wheels spinning out quite badly towards the end of the 2nd season. Grammer managed to rise above a lot of it, but that could only go so far. I'd like to think there could be a show on the level of The Wire about the ever-prevalent corruption in Chicago, not something that at it's worst only managed to stay slightly ahead of soap operas in terms of ridiculousness.
I could not disagree more. I thought it stayed entrancing throughout and really miss the fact that we don't get to see what would have been the ultimate pay-off (surely a season during which Grammer's character fights to retain control during a mayoral election campaign as he finally, and irrevocably, loses it). There were extremes to the show to be sure but I don't regard those narrative moments as unduly hyperbolic but utterly appropriate for the mode and form this was. And, Wire aside, I have rarely if ever seen such a careful, intricate and scrupulous depiction of the cynical maneuverings that infect all of our waking social lives, existing often at deep levels, almost unobserved or unacknowledged (the season 1 plot regarding the scandal diverted via a slowly accumulating misdirect of media and public attention to a prosaic seeming utilities crisis was one such example). At its finest, which was often, the show earned the Shakespearean comparisons that were attached to it.